Dropkick
Topic Author

When A Plane Is About To Land...

Fri Nov 16, 2001 5:34 pm

Here is a thing that has bothered me for a long time. When a plane is about to land, how do the pilots find the glideslope, and how do they line upp with the runway?
Plase help me with this one!  Smile

Fredrik

spacecadet

RE: When A Plane Is About To Land...

Fri Nov 16, 2001 5:36 pm

They find the glideslope with the glideslope indicator on their navigational radios. (Autopilot can do this automatically.) Same with the runway - there's a directional beacon that's sent out from a radio tower at the airport that helps them line up properly.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

Duce50Boom

RE: When A Plane Is About To Land...

Fri Nov 16, 2001 5:41 pm

Pilots use what's called an approach plate (basically a map describing with pictures and words that describes the type of approach, ie, ILS, VOR, TACAN, etc. Different approach types have different procedures, and for each type of approach available at the runway, there is a different page on the plate. It has things like the inbound course of the runway (what heading the runway points to) and the height you'll intercept the glideslope, decision height. etc, etc. It's a huge amount of information that once you learn how to read it, is amazingly simple and straightforward