DAT/Sabena 2 Out Of Business (Again) On Monday?

Mon Nov 19, 2001 12:07 am

Rumour has it that the banks will pull the plug on DAT tomorrow, 18th November.

Anyone heard anything?

lumumba

RE: DAT/Sabena 2 Out Of Business (Again) On Monday?

Mon Nov 19, 2001 12:20 am

From where do you here this????????????

Mon Nov 19, 2001 12:30 am

A colleague in ANR and it's also on PPRuNe...

Oh, and of course it's the 19th on Monday, not the 18th.

lumumba

Mon Nov 19, 2001 12:36 am

A lot of bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla????????
regards
P.S: Do you realy have nothing els to do on Sunday's?????

gerardo

Mon Nov 19, 2001 12:42 am

The only thing I found so far, was a news report about Virgin Express, which apparently is thinking about a merger with DAT.

Gerardo
dominguez(dash)online(dot)ch ... Pushing the limits of my equipment

MrAirbus

Mon Nov 19, 2001 12:56 am

Ok Ceilidh,

I used to work for Sabena, but now I'm working vor one of the Belgian Banks who will invest in the new Sabena/DAT (maybe Vrigin Express merger). And no, I didn't start last week with the bank, but more than a year ago.

Last Friday all the employees from the bank got informed way to bank is going to invest in the new airline. The bank thinks it will work, that there is room for the new carrier.

So, were do you get your information from and more important, can you can confirm your information and is your informant reliable?

Mr Airbus

manni

Mon Nov 19, 2001 12:58 am

Yeesssss, these Belgians must have really pissed you off Ceilidh. How much hatred can one person carry?

Poor man, I start to feel sorry for you  Crying
SUPPORT THE LEBANESE CIVILIANS

apuneger

Mon Nov 19, 2001 1:03 am

Is it possible to ban a person from this forum, based on his username and/or IP number?

It seems like Ceilidh is trying to piss off every single Belgian aviation enthousiast on this great forum...

Ivan
Ivan Coninx - Brussels Aviation Photography

lumumba

Mon Nov 19, 2001 1:05 am

But from where do you get this information?
And if it is only a romour,
please keep it for you!
thank's.

manni

Mon Nov 19, 2001 1:09 am

Apuneger, she is trying perhaps, but she does not succeed. I find her amusing. I bet she is a clown  Nuts in real life instead of having an aviation related proffesion. As she claimed before.

Time to get me a drink and some peanuts, I can't wait for the next show!  Smokin cool

sab12

Mon Nov 19, 2001 1:50 am

Ceilidh,

Are you afraid of a succesfull Belgian airline, or do you just hate all Belgian people?!?
Maybe to you DAT should fly in Ireland???

ebos

Mon Nov 19, 2001 2:00 am

Rumour has it will freezing -40°C in Belgium tomorrow...  Nuts according to a colleague who heard it from another colleague who's grandfather is working in the meteo... Big grin
An-225 stalker: 1 x LUX, 1 x EIN, 1 x DXB, 2 x SHJ, 3 x CGN

sterne82

Mon Nov 19, 2001 2:24 am

Hi all,

The most amazing point with Ceilidh is ; "You know nothing about aviation, you're all "shits" especially if you're belgian, belgian is the most crazy people on earth, and also the most perverse, they're unable to run an airline, they're corrupted, and so on, and so on..."

Therefore, He's the best, he knows everything, he have run any airlines in the world, he have a major fleet of 747 flying for him around the world... and so on, and so on... how amazing and funny it is, no?

The only thing I can't understand is why his kind of "superb and intelligent " CEO spend so much time on this forum?
If he had as much work and as much info as he, he's really superman, by having enough time to spend on this forum why few people like us, who are waiting for him...!

I'm maybe younger than him (that's sure), but I'll never have any respect for such fool, who puts so much craps on this forum.

To the others, thanks for all the info.

Salutations

Benjamin (I'm Belgian, Ceilidh, and really proud of it!)

P.S: You know, it isn't necessary to put lots of smileys on your topics, Ceilidh. It won't make us think to you're smarter...!

sab12

Mon Nov 19, 2001 2:31 am

Ceilidh,
I guess you would like to see all airlines fail, so you can start your own 1011 airline!!
Get alive and stop spreading rumors against Belgian airliners, we know by now you don't like Belgian people.

Mon Nov 19, 2001 2:37 am

Ummmm, Benjamin - where exactly have I ever said anything like: "You know nothing about aviation, you're all "shits" especially if you're belgian, belgian is the most crazy people on earth, and also the most perverse, they're unable to run an airline, they're corrupted, and so on, and so on..."

The answer is - never. However, if you feel that your statement accurately reflects the state of Belgium , then ...  Laugh out loud

I have a thing about BeCA and the Belgian unions, that's for sure - but then so do many, many other people.  Pissed

All that I have done here is pass on something that I have heard and seen elsewhere - in good faith. If it doesn't happen - then great. That's why I put the question mark in the title of this thread. If it does - well, you read it here first.

You have to admit that so far, I've been right with my forecasts about SN more times than I have been wrong!  Innocent  Big thumbs up

And as for my other comments to Lumumba re the Belgian royals - that's all in the public domain, so why are you guys (apparently) trying to cover it up?  Nuts Big grin

Oh, and I like the smileys. They brighten the threads up.  Smokin cool  Smokin cool

ebos

Mon Nov 19, 2001 2:59 am

Now i remember this 'threadstarter' acting in the Muppet Show... Wink/being sarcastic seems that he also lost his job... Big grin
An-225 stalker: 1 x LUX, 1 x EIN, 1 x DXB, 2 x SHJ, 3 x CGN

airDD

Mon Nov 19, 2001 3:12 am

What has been the load-factor on DAT flights recently ?

AirDD

gerardo

Mon Nov 19, 2001 3:14 am

Boy! It doesn't need much to heat some people in Belgium, does it?  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

I'd suggest to calm down. After all, a forum like this is the place, where rumours can be discussed, or am I wrong?

Kind regards
Gerardo

manni

Mon Nov 19, 2001 3:32 am

Gerardo, As long as they are related to aviation, yes! If they are intentionally placed to offend people (trying to), No!

aussie_

Mon Nov 19, 2001 8:01 am

I think a lot of people have more against Ceilidh than he does against Belgians.

What he said is right - he posted a rumour he heard. I think half the posts here are either entirely rumours or speculating on the future. Just because Ceilidh's rumour sounds unpleasant doesn't mean you have to give him a hard time about it.

There has been much speculation on the truth of Ceilidh's past work in the aviation industry. I think none of us are in the position to comment without proof. However all I can say is, though I may strongly disagree with his views at times, I wish I had the general knowledge and interest in the aviation industry that he does. And I wish I could say I would be as non-plussed about all the slack that he gets as he seems to be. I would have given up on this forum in disgust by now.

Keep it up Ceilidh. It is good to have two points of view on issues - whether it be playing devil's advocate or simply stating the truth.

Bicoastal

Mon Nov 19, 2001 9:58 am

I've read nothing in Ceilidh's posts about hatred toward Belgians. He has doubted, criticized and questioned certain Belgian institutions and organizations which is fair. This hardly means he hates Belgians. Stop taking his comments personally and instead argue his points. Personal attacks on him detract from the your own arguments.
Airliners.net has many forums. It has spell check and search functions. Use them before posting!

LJ

Mon Nov 19, 2001 5:44 pm

As usual some forum members feel attacked if someone is putting something on this board which isn't exactly pro-Belgian.

But does anybody has any insight in the real load factors + yields on the DAT flights? Apperantly not. Personanally I've some doubts about how DAT is doing. This is supported by some reports on PPRuNe. However, I may be wrong.

Regards
Laurens

lumumba

Mon Nov 19, 2001 5:55 pm

O.K but d'ont throw stupid rumour's.
He do it to feel important?
And after all he became agesif.
And start to argue with non aviation stories.
Regards.

Banco

Mon Nov 19, 2001 7:37 pm

I have no idea whether Ceilidh is correct or not with what he's posted. I do know that whenever he puts something on here, then he just receives abuse from several members, along the lines of "you're stupid, you don't know what you're talking about". Well, I do have a fair knowledge of the aviation industry having worked as an airline manager for several years. Whilst I disagree with some of what he says there is an awful lot more I agree with, and I find it intensely irritating when people simply slag him off rather than putting forward a cogent argument as to why he might be wrong - and I notice that he rarely retaliates which is to his credit.

Unfortunately some people react because they don't wish it to be true, rather than anything else.

As for constantly having a go at Caledonian Wings, I have read the various articles on him. I don't know whether they are true or not - I keep an open mind, which is more than can be said for some - but since more than 90% of startups fail anyway, it is no disgrace that he hasn't achieved a viable operation, regardless of what I think of the likelihood of success. It is also irrelevant to the subject matter of his post.

So, please state WHY you disagree with him. Freedom of speech allows those who have varying degrees of knowledge of the commercial realities of air travel to pass comment, which is a bonus of forums like this, but it does not allow you to fling bile at any person you disagree with. It simply reinforces what someone like Ceilidh says. To a neutral if appears that you just don't want to know the truth, which is I suspect the last impression you wish to create.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

gerardo

Mon Nov 19, 2001 7:49 pm

WOW! At the end, this thread has 23 replies, but mostly ending in discussions about the right of free speech.

Could we get back to the topic?  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Now, we have this rumour, which is NOT from Celidh, but came up in another discussion forum (PPrune).

We have th statement of Mr Airbus: "Last Friday all the employees from the bank got informed way to bank is going to invest in the new airline. The bank thinks it will work, that there is room for the new carrier."

OK, this banks believes in the success of DAT.

Then, we have a fair question of Laurens: "does anybody has any insight in the real load factors + yields on the DAT flights?"

Do we have any CONSTRUCTIVE opinions or facts, proving that DAT is either going positive or going towards a near end?

Regards
Gerardo

aussie_

Mon Nov 19, 2001 7:57 pm

I am hardly in the know being here in Australia but from my regular readings of several forums plus my interest in Belgian aviation (I am half belgian), I have read about LHR flights with 1 pax on board and many other flights with pax loads under 10. I also hear about a codeshare agreement with VEX which also suggests a weakness in DAT pax numbers.

All that taken into account, plus the extra services added by other carriers plus the obvious lack of confidence in SN/DAT following the tumult of the past 6 months or more suggests to me that DAT's future is bleak. After all, the EU won't allow the state to support the airline forever - it would just wipe out decades of progress...

TCA256

Mon Nov 19, 2001 8:04 pm

Banco,

Nobody harassed Ceilidh for his point of views but for
his insulting posts, there's a difference between the
free of speech and the spreading of rumours and insults
on the forum! What's the point while talking about
aviation, to introduce non relevant and fake infos like
Monarchy's corruption or children sex abuse cases ?
Don't believe some people want only to flame him every post he publishs, but the way he talked to people
didn't serve him in terms of mutual respect. I was one who tried to talk to him in a more "civilized" way but
when it appeared the only aim of the posts was to
tarnish systematically SN crews, Belgium or anything linked to this country and not aviation issues at all, I couldn't not consider him seriously anymore! That's his right to express his opinion but insulting people or
using phrases like "who's the next ?" (kinda big row
attitude) doesn't help him so far...

Okay back to business now...

Gerardo,

I talked to a journalist friend this Friday and he talked
about a 10 to 20 % seats occupation at this time! I don't know if it's true but this sounds bad as the new
company truly needs to improve its image towards the
potential customers.

cheers,

TCA256

Mon Nov 19, 2001 8:07 pm

Aussie,

I heard also about that flight with only one passenger,
that's a tragedy if this case happens to be true...That
means there's a hug lack of confidence to the company!
I'm not a civil aviation expert but I wonder if the
managers think about launching a campaign to handle
this problem...?

Banco

Mon Nov 19, 2001 8:09 pm

TCA256,

OK, fair comment.

hkgspotter1

Mon Nov 19, 2001 8:37 pm

Maybe a carrier with a fleet of L1011's or 767's could come along and take over Belgium ??. Anyway there is one thing we have to credit Sabena and DAT with..... They did get off the ground !!

You All! Mr.Airbus Info Please

Mon Nov 19, 2001 8:37 pm

For you all: these actions and re-actions are becoming like a good Belgian strip like Suske and Wiske. Stay calm it is just Monday. By the way Suske and Wiske often travelled by KLM, KLM Cityhopper and Martinair (were they heavily sponsored by those airlines, it is very rare to see them with Sabena and even not with VLM Airlines?)

Mr. Airbus,

Which particular bank will be the biggest investor in the possible new Belgian airline?

Due to my profession I'm interested. Thanks in advance!

Lambic

LJ

Mon Nov 19, 2001 8:48 pm

According to the gossip I'm hearing the biggest investor will be Fortis NV. They haven't lost any money last time (the old Sabena) and considering that Mr. Lippens is the Fortis CEO the rumour may be true. Other banks involved are BBL and KBC.

No foreign bank involved yet (HSBC lost the most last time and probably doesn't want to loose more).

BTW MrAirbus what kind of work are you doing at a bank?

Regards
Laurens

TriStar

Mon Nov 19, 2001 8:57 pm

Well well well, look what the cat dragged in...

Why am I not surprised to see who caused this row?

Tss tss tss.

Banco

Mon Nov 19, 2001 9:03 pm

TCA256, the post from Tristar is EXACTLY what I'm complaining about!

gerardo

Mon Nov 19, 2001 9:37 pm

10 or 20% load factor is indeed under every limit. But nobody with a clear mind woud expect the new airline to start up as a rocket. The confidence in a new Belgian flag carrier has to be brought back. Many people see "Sabena" instead of DAT, and perhaps they think, this airline is also starving.

From what I have read so far, I would say, that DAT still has a fair chance as successor of Sabena, albeit in a reduced size. After all, the Belgian market supporst at least a small home carrier. A merge with VEX, which has also been rumoured, doesn't have to be bad for the Belgian aviation scene, or am I wrong here?

Regards
Gerardo

MrAirbus

To Air Orange And Lj

Mon Nov 19, 2001 9:38 pm

I know that the bank I work for will be investing in the new company, at least if the other investors will do the same. The banks I know of that will invest in the new company are: KBC, Fortis and Dexia. All three of them will invest more or less the same. I don't know if this will count for BBL too.

The bank I work for (i'm not going to say which bank, because you never know who is on this forum and I would like to keep my job) is willing to invest because:

1. management thinks there is a future for the airline in Belgium;

2. the bank put a lot of money in ex-Sabena and by this way they are hoping to get some of their investments back (if the new company is succesful of course);

3. 2 or more planes were leased by help of the bank, so of course my bank is hoping that the new company will use those planes so all the money they put in it won't go into the drain;

4. a lot of companies in the vicinity of Zaventem were suppliers for Sabena, and some of them have loans with the bank. If DAT+ (or whatever you want to call it) is succesful these suppliers can stay active and won't go bankrupt;

5. There were some more reason, but I forget the letter at my office and I have a day off today and tomorrow.

Mr Airbus

PS, Lj, now I'm working at the electronic banking department, customer support at the main office.

MrAirbus

Mon Nov 19, 2001 9:44 pm

Dankjewel!/Merci-bien!

TCA256

Mon Nov 19, 2001 10:24 pm

Does any of you watch TV yesterday about
the CEO of VLM talking over his project to
launch a company serving the West coast
from Brussels ? that sounds to me a little bit
weird, not in terms of capability but more in
terms of capacity: are there a lot of people
in Belgium often cruising there ? I think over
CITYBIRD who had to axe its route in the USA
because of the non profitability....some comments ?

SN-A330

RE: Tca256

Mon Nov 19, 2001 10:32 pm

Hi Tca256,

What you're talking about is being discussed in another thread here. It's titled :

"Possible New Belgian Airline"

Regards, SN-A330
I would rather be flying...

MrAirbus

Re: Air Orange

Tue Nov 20, 2001 12:25 am

You're Welcome / Graag gedaan!!!

Mr Airbus

TriStar

Tue Nov 20, 2001 1:17 am

Banco,

I understand your point of view. However, it's a matter of action/reaction. Some of us have suffered worse comments than other's disappointment.

I'm sorry if you only have sympathy for what is apparently afflicted on some, while others may take the dump time after time. If you look at the history of a certain user's posts in this forum, the latter is exactly what this thread is.

Best regards,

TriStar.

Banco

Tue Nov 20, 2001 1:30 am

Tristar,

I have read these forums for quite some time and have heard all sides. My problem is not that you disagree with him, but that very often it descends to vitriol. I cannot recall whether you are guilty of this or not, so don't take it personally. All I would say is that it is better to offer grounds for opposing his viewpoint, not just lob insults. Generally speaking, he doesn't respond to them anyway, and it simply makes a person sound childish.

TriStar

Tue Nov 20, 2001 1:30 am

Just now, I crossread the thread, which I hadn't done before. (I tend to quickly pass over things like this, for obvious reasons.)

Turns out I wasn't the first one to react, and one of the least explicit ones, too.

Okay Banco, for your sake (because you seem like a sincere man): the reason why I disagree with Ceilidh's point (which may not be quite as well informed as he would like us to believe - unlike at PPRUNE, I never knew the R's in Airliners.net stood for "rumours", as well...) is that I've attended information sessions held by the management of DAT, joined by ex-SN staff, to inform us on what the plans are. Even if a lot depends on the investors (and I do believe part of that was covered by MrAirbus, thank you very much), there are indeed very concrete plans to make the new airline work.
I, for one, am hoping to be part of that new airline and prove the disbelievers wrong.

Trying to kill a flower in the bud is not very courteous, I'm sure you'll agree. Unlike some, who tend to find some rather incomprehensible kind of pleasure in it, apparently.

Best regards,

TriStar.

sterne82

Wed Nov 21, 2001 2:36 am

Hi all,

From three Belgian newspapers (le soir, la libre belgique, and ... le metro); Dat have just launched a 50 Euros (I've not found the symbol on my keyboard...  Smile/happy/getting dizzy ) promotion, due to poor load factors, indeed, the AVERAGE load factor is really close to 10% !!!

Not a lot... But, I do believe, that belgian customers are really anxious about the new airlines, and maybe (I hope so) the airline will perform better ...soon (it has to!)

About my comments on Ceilidh, I have to say, that I'm not critisizing his knowledge in aviation, but I can't accept such kind of statements like "Sexual parties", with the royal family, and others shits like that... It has nothing to do with our hobby, and I do not believe, that it is helping to give credit to someone who throws such kind of statements on this forum...!?

Regards,

Benjamin

P.S: Let's not forget, that the last man who wrote a book about Royal family and "sexual parties", have been condamned to wrote a "dementi" and not by a belgian court, but by a french court! Moreover, the king have not ask for 1 Bef... so, any comment about that?

LJ

Wed Nov 21, 2001 2:42 am

Guess which airline already filed a complaint against the promotional offer of DAT. Yes it's LH again. seems as if LH wants to get rid of DAT as soon as possible.

BTW must add that the EUR 50 includes all taxes (now I'm even thinking about flying DAT)

Regards
Laurens

TCA256

Wed Nov 21, 2001 2:50 am

I confirm Laurens writings, 50euro per flight (not return,
just one shot) and on all their destinations...I'm definitely tempted to give my bucks and helping those
guys...They truly need (and their aircrafts) to fly again,
more and higher! Considering the price, it's definitely
good value considering the good inflight service compared to VEX and Ryanair...

Wed Nov 21, 2001 6:25 am

dat-airlines.com

slz396

Wed Nov 21, 2001 7:03 am

Incredible!!!

That's even a far better deal then at Ryanair!!!
(seems they are no longer Belgium's cheapest airline as they claim... although they never really were...VEX was)

And it's all possible taxes and fees included!!!

Without any restrictions!!!

The return ticket is equally cheap!!!

To the real London (LHR), Venice (VCE), Brussels (BRU), Toulouse (TOU) or 30+ other destinations within Europe i.s.o. to a desolated and unaccessible airport 2hrs out of town!!!

Really unbelievable!!!

I've just booked for a flight to Warshaw in December!
Not that I know anybody in Poland; I don't even know anybody who has ever been to Poland, but hey.. 50 euro to go to a place you never even dreamed of going to? Why not? And thank's to some tax free shopping, I even make a profit! Not to talk about the hot meal and a few glass of champaign on board! I can see why LH isn't pleased with this campaign....

Wed Nov 21, 2001 8:19 am

Hmmmm, according to http://www.ryanair.com their fares ex Charleroi are as follows:

London STN: €4
Prestwick, Dublin and Shannon: €14
Carcassonne, Pisa and Venice: €20

Aren't those fares rather cheaper than €50 from DAT?  Big thumbs up  Big thumbs up  Big thumbs up

apuneger

Wed Nov 21, 2001 8:39 am

Hmmm...it's Wednesday and DAT still exists...How strange  Smile/happy/getting dizzy  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Long live DAT and every other Belgian airline

Ivan
Ivan Coninx - Brussels Aviation Photography

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos