FearlessLeader
Topic Author

Consumer Confidence

Mon Nov 19, 2001 1:08 am

In all honesty, I've never flown before. The only reason is that I've never gone anywhere far enough away not to just drive there instead. That and tickets out of Syracuse are prohibitively expensive...

Despite terrorism, and even the media's slathering frenzy to demonize air passenger services, I will still line up for both the ticket, and the screening, should I ever need to use air travel.

I note with growing disdain the media's continuous attempts to undermine my sense of safety. I, as a rational (well, in some circles anyway) person, acknowledge that I might get hurt or even killed dead doing any of a host of things, including using any form of public transit. A lot of people are like me. Why then, do these idiots have to try their level best to sabotage the airline industry? The postal service? Sporting events? In short, all of the things that we used to, and still should, take for granted.

This is still America dammit, and I will not be held hostage by anyone, not fundamentalist whackos with guns, and certainly not a bunch of 2-year degree haircuts and talking heads.

You have to wonder what goes on in journalism colleges these days. It must be like an Islamic rally. 'Death to America and all it holds dear.' is apparently the secret password to the Journalist's Club.

Dammit! This was supposed to be about airline safety!! Well, I'm still not afraid to fly, and I'll still board the plane should it ever come time. Am I mistaken or is it not still the safest form of travel?

Ikarus

RE: Consumer Confidence

Mon Nov 19, 2001 2:27 am

Flying IS the safest form of travel. And it WILL BE for a long time to come.

The media don't try to sabotage the USA, they try to make money. How do they make money? By getting lots of people to watch/read/listen to/buy their crap. And how do they do that? By targetting issues that everyone encounters on a regular basis. Things that are unavoidable. So you are interested because you are affected. And flying, or receiving mail, is something that affects lots of people every day.

Next media panic will be: "Air! Is it safe to breathe?" because 300 million people in the USA and 6 billion worldwide have to deal with that substance on a regular basis... Big grin

Regards

Ikarus

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos