Can Cabin Crew See Out Of Their Jumpseats?

Mon Nov 19, 2001 3:24 am

This is a strange question, but can the cabin crew see out of a window in their seats for take-off and landing, and if so on which aircraft?

Thankyou in advance
Alex

A330DAT

RE: Can Cabin Crew See Out Of Their Jumpseats?

Mon Nov 19, 2001 3:31 am

In most cases (wide bodies) yes, but not always. The best one I would say is the 747 because the doors are equipped with the same size windows as passengers, thus easilly viewable from your jumpseat. On the airbus aircraft for example the (round) window is barely the size of an orange. In DC-10 or MD-11 you need to get up to be able to look outside but in any case, you can still use the nearest passenger window to take a peak, after the aircraft has come to a complete stop of course.  Smile

lmml 14/32

Mon Nov 19, 2001 3:50 am

Most of the time the small port holes on pax and service doors of a B737 are fogged up or dirty or whatever. So you cannot use these for assessment. But the pax windows on R1 RHS is easily visible. On A320 things are better. The glass is tilted downwards and is a magnifing glass in itself. Somehow on the A320 the windows are always clear.

Tue Nov 20, 2001 1:06 am

It does indeed depend on the aiurcraft type and the cabin position of the FA jumpseat. For instance, on a
B-767-200/300, jumpseats are located at doors 1L/R and 2L/R with virtually no view outside. (to see through the 767 prism glass in the door, you must stand and look through it. On the A310, same situation.
On aircraft such as the B-747-100/200/400, DC-10,
L-1011, there are cabin jumpseat positions where FA's can indeed view outside through pax windows located right by the jumpseats.

But all in all, the majority of aircraft FA jumpseats are located at the fwd and aft cabin, where, aside from the tiny windows on the exit doors, there are no pax windows. Also, bulkheads, closets, galleys, etc, in effect "seal" these areas off from the pax cabin.

Hope this helped.

Canadi>nBoy
YYZ

BestWestern

Tue Nov 20, 2001 1:17 am

Cabin Crew are supposed to be monitoring the passengers on rotation... not looking out the window.
You are 100 times more likely to catch a cold on a flight than an average person!

TriStar

Tue Nov 20, 2001 1:46 am

Bestwestern,

On the A32F, monitoring would be the task of the crewmembers sitting on the "aisle jumpseat" so to speak in the forward galley, and on the jumpseat folding into the aisle in the rear of the A/C. If you're sitting right next to either doors 1L, 2L or 2R, you get to see very little of any pax, let along their movement. Believe me. (Needless to say the situation is quite different if you're sitting at either doors 2 or 3 on the A321, the latter of which where you incidentally have a better view outside due to pax windows, as well.)

On the B737 that have aft facing jumpseats, a mirror (sort of like the ones you'll find in supermarkets that don't have cameras yet, only smaller) is installed at ceiling height in the middle of the aft galley. They are used for the aforementioned purpose of monitoring the pax.

I know it's a bit off topic, but perhaps interesting for people to know. Besides, others have already made excellent posts explaining the "portholes" at jumpseats, anyway.

Best regards,

TriStar.

SBE727

Tue Nov 20, 2001 8:00 pm

i work as crew on the 737-800 and 767-200ER. i must admitt that the 737 porthole windows do get misted up and are very hard to see out of...especially in an emergency.the 767-200 doors you can not see out of unless you stand up....again for safety regulations,all crew should be able to see out of the windows,especially during the most crucial points of flight...taxi/take off and landing.

many thx
sbe727

lmml 14/32

Tue Nov 20, 2001 10:07 pm

>>>Bestwestern: re-your comment about cabin crew monitoring the pax and not looking out of the window, I would like to add that in order to assess the conditions you have to look at all areas. Including out of the window. There may be a fire raging outside with no indication in the cabin. Yes, monitoring pax may give you a hint too, as pax will be agitated or trying to draw your attention. But looking out is part of our duty too. During taxiing we also perform the 30 second review. This includes mentally choosing your ABP's and going through the emergency proceedures in your mind. I think there should be regulation enforced to make it mandatory for the port holes to be clear at all times on all aircraft.

A330DAT

Wed Nov 21, 2001 11:58 pm

You're absolutely right LMML 14/32. Flight Attendants need to do everything. Keep and eye on the passengers, AND assess outside conditions. It's never one or the other. It's the whole picture you need to get.

spk

Thu Nov 22, 2001 1:48 am

Yes, I think they can see out the window!

Look here http://www.geocities.com/tgvideonow/takofbkk.rm