Express Airlines 1 Transitions To All Jet Fleet

Thu Nov 22, 2001 10:13 am

SOURCE: Express Airlines I
Express Airlines I Transitions to All Jet Fleet
MEMPHIS, Tenn., Nov. 21 /PRNewswire/ -- Express Airlines I confirmed today that negotiations are complete with Mesaba Airlines and Express I parent, Northwest Airlines, to transition its Memphis-based Saab 340 flying at Memphis in early 2002.

Express I currently operates 27 Canadair Regional Jets throughout the Northwest Airlink domestic system and Saab 340 turbo-props at Memphis. Express I will continue to take delivery of Canadair Regional Jets.

``These actions allow us to meet our goal of transitioning to an all-jet, single fleet type,'' said Philip H. Trenary, Express Airlines I's President & CEO. ``We can now concentrate our resources on our expanding regional jet fleet, which is a powerful, agile tool in the Northwest route structure.''

Express I will provide ground support and perform Customer Service activities for Mesaba at Memphis. No changes to employment levels at Express I in Memphis are expected as a result of this activity.

Express Airlines I is a wholly owned subsidiary of Northwest Airlines, Inc., doing business as Northwest Airlink. The regional carrier operates the Canadair Regional Jet (CRJ) and the Saab 340 turbo-prop (SF3). Express I employs nearly 2000 people and maintains its headquarters in Memphis, Tenn.

SOURCE: Express Airlines I