TWAalltheway
Topic Author

Anyone Ever Been To This Airport?

Sat Nov 24, 2001 4:23 am

Hey
I remember seeing a Dateline NBC or some TV article about this airport in Ilinois, about 50 miles or so from STL. It said it was supposed to be a reliever airport for STL. Personally I think it was a terrible waste of government money on an airport. From what I know, it never gets much service, I think PanAm is the only airline there. I think it would attract much more service if there was a highspeed train service between St. Louis and this airport. What are your thoughts, and if you've ever been there?

TWA all the way!

TWAalltheway
Topic Author

RE: Anyone Ever Been To This Airport?

Sat Nov 24, 2001 4:41 am

BTW, it was called Mid-America Airport

TWA all the way

Jason Seiple

Sat Nov 24, 2001 5:32 am

Yes, I've been to BLV.
Pan Am is the only passenger airline that flies there. It shares a runway with Scott Air Force Base.
It does have practical applications though... when a TWA B717 had to make a wheels up landing, they did it at Mid-America as to not cause a closure to STL.

Ndebele

Sat Nov 24, 2001 6:22 am

Mid-America Airport, what a silly name! If someone told me he would fly to Mid-America Airport, I would think "Probably he's flying to Costa Rica or Nicaragua". It's just the same with "Midwest", I'd search for the US-American "Midwest" somewhere near the Rockies. But maybe I'm thinking too logical??

Boeing Nut

Sat Nov 24, 2001 6:40 am

Pan Am recently pulled out of BLV. The airport has no passenger carrier service yet again.
I'm not a real aeronautical engineer, I just play one on Airliners.net.

Dalmd88

Sat Nov 24, 2001 6:40 am

Actually the Name Mid-America does make sense. It is half way between the east and west coast. Historically the Mississippi River has always been the begining of western America. The Mid-West I think got that name because settlers moving to The West, the other side of the Mississippi, considered it Midway to the west.

Continental

Sat Nov 24, 2001 6:47 am

Lots of airports get reliever airports, MSP has about 5. They are for planes like Cessnas and Learjets, so they don't clog up the approach paths and takeoff paths.

Continental

AerLingus

Sat Nov 24, 2001 10:03 am

I think that St. Louis's Metro plans on sending their light-rail trains to the airport, but I guess that they may put a hold on that considering there are NO AIRLINES!
Get your patchouli stink outta my store!