NZ Codeshare News And Question

Sun Nov 25, 2001 9:03 am

On November's Air NZ magazine "Panorama", the route map shows that NZ has begun codesharing with all TG flights between Australia and Bangkok, plus Bangkok-London and Bangkok-Phuket.

It also shows that NZ has codeshare flight between Darwin-Dili (East Timor). Now who flies Darwin-Dili and why is NZ code-sharing it, since NZ don't fly to Darwin?

TG992

RE: NZ Codeshare News And Question

Sun Nov 25, 2001 9:11 am

Air North fly from Darwin to Dili using Brasilias. They're a small Australian airline.

-

NZ767

Sun Nov 25, 2001 9:21 am

Good economic sense here.

At the moment, there would be a high number of service personnel on this route coming back from R&R in Darwin etc(they don't always travel military especially if numbers don't warrant it) and most if not all of this would be paid for by the UN, so guaranteed (hopefully) payment here.

Also, once the political situation stabilises in ET, forecasts predict an economic boom for this region.

Just a thought!

Mike

Air Taiwan

Sun Nov 25, 2001 10:55 am

Isn't it under QF flight numbers? the Darwin-Dili route??

Jimmy

TG992

Sun Nov 25, 2001 11:02 am

Nope, it's under TL flight numbers.
-

Air Taiwan

Sun Nov 25, 2001 11:14 am

ok i c  Smile

Jimmy

aerokiwi

Sun Nov 25, 2001 4:31 pm

I actually flew the Darwin-Dili route on Air North back in February of this year. Had to make an emergency landing on the way over, back in Darwin (landing gear problems). And had to abort a takeoff in Dili half way down the runway on the return flight. I couldn't believe my bad luck!

It was freaky enough going to East Timor, let alone having such bad experiences on the plane. It's not a particularly confidence inspiring moment when you see the co-pilot shrug her shoulders as the plane begins to rotate.It was at this time that Qantas suspended its services, so I didn't really have a choice. Have they restarted again yet?

I was quite confused with the frequent flyer programme though. I was booked under an Ansett flight number, but apparently (according to the Air Points people back in NZ), Air North flights aren't eligible for the Air NZ scheme. Some "seamless service"!

Still, it was cool on the Brasilias going to the toilet and having a window. Pretty cool.

Cheers.