TonyBurr
Topic Author

PHL Terminal-No Pickup

Mon Nov 26, 2001 9:52 am

Philadelphia airport recently opened a new beautiful terminal, F. However they did not put into the plans a palce to pick up passengers. When you get off the plane you claim you luggage, go upstairs, though a bridge to the E terminal, through another bridge to the baggage claim, back downstairs to that pick up. Terrible if you have luggage or kids. Is this great planning !?!?! Only in Philadelphia do they build a terminal that you can not get picked up in.

A few years ago they opened a new runway, which was ten years in the planning. It is beautiful. THey light it up and all. However it is too short for planes to use! Great planning in PHL.

Glad all those taxes we paid on tickets were put to good use.

They are building a new International terminal. Way over budget and late. WOnder what they will "forget" at this one. Check in counters maybe?

milldoh

RE: PHL Terminal-No Pickup

Mon Nov 26, 2001 9:56 am

Well, at least you still have Veteran's Stadium  Big grin

Philly Phlyer

Mon Nov 26, 2001 10:19 am

You can get picked up in Terminal F, but you just need to know the layout of the airport. [I just got picked up at Terminal F by a "Pacifico Valet" (Parking Service) driver last Tuesday.]

All the person picking you up need know is that for Terminal F, they use the "departures" drive since the construction still is in progress with the parking structures, etc. Of course they cannot pull up early and wait for you, but they are not supposed to do that at the arrival areas in the other terminals anyway.

Hope this helps.

nonrevman

Mon Nov 26, 2001 10:59 am

Wait until you get a load of Houston Intercontinental. If you are a newcomer to terminal A and someone is picking you up outside in their private vehicle, you are in for a real "treat". There is no private vehicle access to the curb just outside the sliding glass doors. You have to go across the road and work your way to a parking lot where the meeters and greeters are waiting for you. No problem if you know what you are doing. Lord help you if you have never seen this before and have some checked luggage to drag around.

USAFHummer

Mon Nov 26, 2001 11:07 am

Philly,

W used to use Pacifico Valet too now we use Winner, they are right down the auto mall from Pacifico and once you get picked up in your car, you dont have to go back to the valet station, you just leave...

Back to the point here....I havent been in Term F yet, but driven past it quite a few times...there is a dedicated drop-off and check-in though...

As for the international terminal...Its supposed to be open in Spring 2002...looks like they might actually meet that timeframe, probably wont be done til Summer though... I hope it brings more international airlines though

Runway 8/26 is the new runway...and Ive never seen it used...agree with ya there...its a big waste, the commuter traffic still uses 17/35....

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

TonyBurr
Topic Author

Mon Nov 26, 2001 11:31 am

PhlyPhlyer

Interesing to hear the Pacifico can pick you up. ExpressPark drivers said that it is not allowed, they can be fined, and have signs in their vans saying pickup at F is not allowed. I wonder if Pacifico just got lucky and did not get caught or if Expresspark is not up to date.

Mon Nov 26, 2001 11:37 am

I've landed on 8/26 in a USAir 19 seater coming in from GON. It was snowing too. This was last year/.

Philly Phlyer

Mon Nov 26, 2001 11:49 am

That explains it. Pacifico and Winner pick you up in your own car, so they can pull up to the terminal in the arrival or departure lanes. [Thank you to "USAFHummer" for the suggestion about using Winner. I've seen them do that and had been thinking of trying them out. I've been using Pacifico for 12 years and habits die hard.]

Since Expresspark uses vans, it may be barred from doing it right now. Vans and limousines have a separate roadway that runs parallel to the commuter railroad tracks that run through the terminal complex between the arrival and departure roadways. Eventually, when the terminal F garage and roadways are done, you probably will just cross the first street (departure roadway) to a pick-up for vans and limousine.

haveric

Mon Nov 26, 2001 2:11 pm

That whole end of the airport, particularly RE parking will likely remain a bit of a mess until the new parking structure is complete and integrated into the rest of te airport roadway system.
For now, I guess you can use the departure roadway as suggested.

Mon Nov 26, 2001 3:01 pm

I'll tell you Philly guys....

I just connected on US from Binghamton down to Ft. Lauderdale and I came in on an Allegheny Dash8 at TF and out on a 734 at TB.

Philadelphia is one great airport!Terminal F was beautiful, well lit, easy access from the prop, very classy. The bus to TC was very easy waiting right at F very nice. Walking from the bus station at TC to TB brings pax right through the new mall concourse with beautiful stores and plentiful dining options.

PHL, how its been designed, was very very easy and pleasant for connecting passengers.

My one gripe, I flew out of PHL a few weeks to ATL and parked in the economy lot. Coming in late on a monday night, we picked up our bags in the TB/C baggage claim and waited like 15 mins for a bus out to the ecomony lot. That was a dissapointment.

TNNH: I like PHL!

Mon Nov 26, 2001 7:14 pm

>>A few years ago they opened a new runway, which was ten years in the planning. It is beautiful. THey light it up and all. However it is too short for planes to use! Great planning in PHL.<<

Correction: it is too short for RJs to use. Dash-8s, J31s, ATRs, etc. can use it. There was no poor planning, and you pointed that part out with the 10 years in the making. When they started, there weren't these cute little 50 seat planes called Regional Jets.

haveric

Mon Nov 26, 2001 11:26 pm

Any talk of extending that runway? Or is the far end up against the river?
If so, it seems like the next logical project after Terminal One is finished. I have also rarely seen that runway in use.

Eric

Mon Nov 26, 2001 11:35 pm

Nonrevman nailed Houston Intercontinental. Picking up arriving passengers is ackward at best.

usairways85

Tue Nov 27, 2001 12:08 pm

i thought there was a place for people to get picked up at terminal F. they are currently building a terminal F parking garage and a walkway to it. I think the terminal is great thought well designed, hope it brings more commuter traffic. the new runway is ridiculous. it is stupid to build a runway that rarely ever sees planes. i went to watch planes land one day and only saw about 2 or 3 planes land on the new runway in 3 hours. the new international terminal better be done by next summer. i have been waiting for so long to see the final product. it also better bring more international flights.