SAAB340

History Of The FLY DC Jets Sign

Tue Nov 27, 2001 8:27 am

Hey All!!

I am very interested in the FLY DC JETS neon sign in the Long Beach MD plant. If anyone has some history and or purpose of it I would love to hear it!!

Thanks

PAUL

OPNLguy

RE: History Of The FLY DC Jets Sign

Tue Nov 27, 2001 9:31 am

MD came about in the late 1960s (1967, I think), after Douglas and McDonnell merged.

Prior to the merger, Douglas used "DC" in all their aircraft designations, for "Douglas Commercial", hence the old promo sign in the LGB area.

Since Boeing later acquired MD, you might find some more historical stuff over on Boeing's website...
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

SAAB340

Thanks

Tue Nov 27, 2001 10:45 am

Hey

Thanks for the post I will check out boeing.com!

IMissPiedmont

Tue Nov 27, 2001 11:55 am

One other fact. When Boeing completed the takeover, they turned the sign off. The uproar this caused forced Boeing to turn it back on. Hopefully, if the plant is closed, the sign will be preserved in The Museum of Flight. If not there, someplace that will do it honor.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

N960AS

Tue Nov 27, 2001 2:55 pm

I'll take the sign if Boeing closes down the factory and wants to get rid of it.

I've always found this the most iconic feature of the Douglas Corporation and have much affinity towards it. I remember driving on the 405 back t LA at night and seeing it, across the field, lit up. Being a large MD80 fan I'd try to preserve any remnant of Douglas. If I still lived in my old house I could put it on the roof and proclaim to all of Hollywood 'Fly DC Jets'. However I hope this is not the case and 717 line finds sucess sooner rather than later, the 717 spans other versions and provides employment for many in Long Beach, joy for spotters and Douglas fans.

jeffrey

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © AirNikon

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos