TWA902fly

Alaska To SLC... Anytime Soon?

Tue Nov 27, 2001 9:58 am

I was just wondering. Alaska Airlines recently began flying from Seattle to Tucson. Tucson is not too large of a city. So my question is why don't they fly to Salt Lake? It seems more logical than TUS. Is it because Southwest and Delta already have a large number of flights from Salt Lake to Seattle?

Did they ever fly to salt lake? or consider it?

-TWA902fly
Chicago Illinois
life wasn't worth the balance, or the crumpled paper it was written on

DeltaBoy777

RE: Alaska To SLC... Anytime Soon?

Tue Nov 27, 2001 11:18 am

Well, my Aunt works for Alaska Airlines, and my Dad works for Delta, and I think you mentioned the answer in your post. It is because to many Delta and Southwest jets fly in there for Alaska to compete. However I do think they have plans for it in the future!!
Thanks and Gig Em!

EIPremier

RE: Alaska To SLC... Anytime Soon?

Tue Nov 27, 2001 11:48 am

Horizon once flew to SLC back in the late 80s/early 90s, but Alaska has never served SLC.

There have been rumors of SEA-SLC service, but certainly the competition is still pretty stiff. SEA-ABQ has WN service, but there are rumors AS may be looking at this route too. Also, several cities in the Northeast are rumored to be in consideration for future Alaska service.

But, remember, despite recent actions to the contrary, Alaska is still a pretty conservative company on the whole In general, they will look for markets that are either underserved, or provide needed feed to other routes. Also, until recently, all of Alaska's other forays into the Midwest/East had been unsuccessful. So, I wouldn't be expecting AS to become a nationwide carrier anytime soon.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos