KCLE

Burke Lakefront "International" Airport?

Tue Nov 27, 2001 10:26 am

I just noticed this today. I was looking at the latest Approach Plates for Burke Lakefront, and I noticed the terminal has a customs office, which means Burke has international capabilities, as an airport is constituted as international based on the presence of a customs office. If you don't believe me, take a look:

FrequentFlyKid

RE: Burke Lakefront "International" Airport?

Tue Nov 27, 2001 10:31 am

I live in the east suburbs of Cleveland and let me tell you, CLE isn't an international airport, let alone BKL. Okay, it is, but come on. The couple of flights to Canada and a handful to Mexico and one to SJU. KCLE, I doubt BKL is being considered an international airport, no commerical airlines serve it.

KCLE

Tue Nov 27, 2001 10:47 am

Theoretically, BKL would be considered international, even though no airlines serve them. And as far as CLE, yes, they are a measly international airport, but they are a better domestic airport.

FrequentFlyKid, I live in, well, the southeast suburbs, wher abouts are you?

aztec01

Tue Nov 27, 2001 10:49 am

BKL isn't a particularly good racetrack either. Like most things about Cleveland, it has an identity crisis.

Big grin

Bernard Shakey

Tue Nov 27, 2001 11:04 am

BKL is considered international and US Customs inspectors will meet inbound internartional flights there. An airport need not have scheduled international flights to be international (as BKL has none), but BKL gets its share of international flights (mostly business jets). You wouldn't think of Cleveland as a major shipping port either, but local customs inspectors are busy from April to November visiting inbound ships.
Mindless drifter on the road, Carries such an easy load

thomacf

Tue Nov 27, 2001 11:04 am

Any airport that has customs is international in some way. Cuyahoga County is international because it has customs. I learned to fly at BKL and trust me that customs office is alot more busy than the one at CLE during the business week. There are tons of large corporate aircraft that fly in from the Carribean, Europe, Canada, Mexico and even Japan. This is mainly because of the corporate people at Key Bank, The Cleveland Clinic, TRW, National CIty Bank and all the the other fortune 500 companies that are headquartered in Cleveland. I have been there on busy days and you can see a up 10 planes parked in front of the office briefly before going to Million Air or The Business Aircraft Center ranging from 727's to G-4's to Citations and even Cessna 172's that come in from Canada. I was there one day when Celine Dion came in for a concert and her huge Gulfstream had arrived from Paris.

KCLE

Tue Nov 27, 2001 12:06 pm

Wow, I guess BKL is more of an international airport than CLE. Now I know why they installed that ILS several years ago. During the summer, I saw a 757 at BKL, look for the post about it. I guess CLE is only used when the foreign dignitaries either don't have a small enough aircraft to fly to BKL, or they are just too important, or ill, to change planes. The only widebody I have proof of seeing at CLE in my 1 year of spotting was the Emir of Qatar's A340. And my, that was a beautiful sight, seeing that huge A340 basking in the last rays of sun of the day over on the ramp between COEx's maintainence ramp, and Concourse A, where almost all of the large aircraft go during their stops here (or from at least I've seen in the photos on here and in satellite images. I swear I saw an L-1011 parked on that ramp in a satellite pic from 1994, back when American Intl. had their oversized flights in CLE.)

Not that good of a photo, and will never be accepted here either.

Goldenshield

Tue Nov 27, 2001 12:08 pm

Strange enough, ONT (ontario intl, ca, us) IS an international airport, with 1 international flight, BUT does not have customs. Every night, a customs is brought in from LAX to handle the 1 daily flight.

Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

redngold

RE: Burke Lakefront "International" Airp

Tue Nov 27, 2001 1:08 pm

Yes, KCLE, little known fact about BKL is that you can fly in from Canada or another foreign country (though I can't imagine a larger a/c wanting to land there) to clear customs.

At Hopkins I have often seen small jets come in, probably from Canada, and go to A14 where they can get a customs check before continuing on to their destination. When I say "small" I mean Lears and Hawkers. Plus the Sunworld International charter flight from Cancun always goes to A14.

I actually think it's a good idea for Customs to have an office there, because if someone needs to make an emergency landing after crossing Lake Erie from Canada, well, they can fix their problem and clear Customs at the same time!  Nuts

redngold
Up, up and away!

HlywdCatft

Tue Nov 27, 2001 1:33 pm

Oakland County Pontiac Airport north of Detroit also is an international airport with customs. Pontiac Airport is mainly small cargo and corporate jets, although Contract Air Cargo flies a 727 (looks like former Kitty Hawk) now with its CV580s and stretch CV5800s.

I was there today and also saw DAimler Chrysler's A319 that flies back and forth from Pontiac to Germany directly.

Besides the Daimler Chrysler flight, there are other international flights with biz jets, since Gulfstream Vs have something like a 7-8000 mile range.

FrequentFlyKid

Tue Nov 27, 2001 1:36 pm

Most of you make good points. I gues BKL is an international airport. As for the Cleveland jokes, you can't really make them anymore. The only problems we still have are the school district, the CAVS (too bad the NBA is contracting), and Mayor White (but is soon to be ex-mayor). Other than Cleveland is on the fast track to a turnaround.

aztec01

Wed Nov 28, 2001 2:01 am

One can only hope FFK! With the latest runway debacle at KCLE it's hard to see the 'vision' as it were. If it weren't for the FAA a couple of years back, BKL would be rotting in weeds, like the aviation high school, and the HoJo's on the shoreway, while the city fought whether to turn it into low income housing or a public beach.

We've done a lot in this town. We still have along way to go. The departure of Mike White is only the first step.

Soku39

Wed Nov 28, 2001 10:53 am

Well we had a few C3000(R.I.P.) so I guess that counts. There was this one Penn airport with one commuter flight to Ontario and they counted as Intl.

I live in Cleveland Heights kcle how about you?
The Ohio Player

Cleco

Wed Nov 28, 2001 11:05 am

I don't know how relevant this is, but...

I was listening to BKL tower one night and I heard a small plane radio in to make a "cutoms stop". I guess they have to stop at an airport with a customs agency if their final destination doesn't have one.

Jake from the Eastern burbs
EMBRY-RIDDLE BABY

KCLE

Wed Nov 28, 2001 11:43 am

Thanks for all of the input so far. It's those little things that go unnoticed until somebody (e.g. me) is bored out of their mind, so they go and look up approach plates.

Soku39, I'm in Maple Heights.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos