Aerialpingpong
Topic Author

Tupolev Ty-114 How Many Are Left?

Tue Nov 27, 2001 9:11 pm

When I was 15, I was looking through an old book about 'Soviet' airliners at my High School library in Singapore. I came across some rather rare cabin shots of the Tupolev Ty-114. It had actual 'cabins' like you would find on a ship or train, with bunk beds, a windowside table, and obviously a heck of a view  Smile/happy/getting dizzy I fanthasized quite a lot about what it would have been like to fly on one of these, and it's become one of my favorite aircraft of all time. A few days ago here on airliners, two photographs were posted by Dmitri Pereslavtsev showing CCCP-L5611 at Monino Air Force Museum in Russia which brought back those memories.

Do any of you know where, and how many of these birds are left (all would be on static display), or large pieces of them?? Are any preserved in near-flying condition, or are there any plans to restore one in the future?? Looking forward to your responses.

Aerialpingpong

Wasilenko

RE: Tupolev Ty-114 How Many Are Left?

Tue Nov 27, 2001 9:24 pm

As I understand only 30 machines were made, as there was not much need for such an aircraft which only flew for one decade and was replaced by Il-62s. There is one preserved at Monino Museum and one at Domodedovo Airport in Moscow, most of the Tu-114 however were converted to Tu-126 standard which became the world's first AWACS platform (can some one confirm that as I don't have solid information on this). Tu-126s served until the late 80s and were replaced by A-50s. I would have to say that were is a great posibility that there are some Tu-126s that are stored in flying conditions some where in Russia, but who knows? My dad has flown on one Tu-114 when he was young, he said that tu-114 was very comfortable. One Tu-114 was also involved in a runway over-run at Vnukovo.

Wasilenko

Aerialpingpong
Topic Author

Tue Nov 27, 2001 9:39 pm

Hey Wasilenko!

Thanks very much for the info. I'll check out the Ty-126

garuda

Wed Nov 28, 2001 2:01 am

Wasilenko,

I'm quite sure that the only accident involving A Tu-114 is when it hit a snow bank, just after take-off. The airplane was airborne. It was not a runway over-run.

Just some additional info:
The Tu-114 is also the fastest (and also the biggest) propeller-driven passenger airliner in the world. It was used mainly in Moscow-Havana and Moscow-Tokyo (Codeshare with JAL).

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Mel Lawrence

It was also the first aircraft to fly Moscow-New York nonstop, with premier Nikita Krushchev (spelling??) on board in 1959.

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Mel Lawrence

One distinct feature about this aircraft, beside the contra-revolving propellers, is its swept-wing, which is an anomaly for a propeller-driven airplanes.

JA

VirginFlyer

Wed Nov 28, 2001 3:19 am

Just a note, it is the Tu-114, not the Ty-114. In cyrillic script, the letter 'u' is written 'y' (just as 's' is written 'c' and 'r' is written 'p' - hence CCCP actually says SSSR in roman script)

V/F
"So powerful is the light of unity that it can illuminate the whole earth." - Bahá'u'lláh

GDB

Wed Nov 28, 2001 3:24 am

Amazing, beautiful aircraft, I'd love to have seen one flying.
Almost as fast as a jet too.