iwareboy

Delta First Class Always Full?

Wed Nov 28, 2001 9:35 am

Everytime I fly Delta (only about 10 legs in the last 3 years) the first class seat are totally full. Tran-cont or a 30 minute hop, it doesn't matter. Anyone else notice this?

I would think since DL has a pretty restrictive upgrade policy it would be harder to U/G.

-Sean

MD88Captain

RE: Delta First Class Always Full?

Wed Nov 28, 2001 9:39 am

Crew-members dead-heading and airline employees non-reving often fill up first class after upgrades.

skyhawk

Wed Nov 28, 2001 9:44 am

Delta also upgrades their frequent flyer people at times, in fact the last few times my husband and I have gone anywhere, we either just barely get First or just barely miss it.

chrisair

Wed Nov 28, 2001 9:47 am

The flight I was on from Cincinnati-PDX back in July was about 3/4 full up front. It was the 2000 departure, that probably explains it...

Jason Seiple

Wed Nov 28, 2001 10:18 am

Silly question....
I would hardly judge all thousand+ daily DL flights based on ten flights over three years.

As others have said, Delta upgrades the high Medallion frequent flyers (as they are Delta's best customers) and deadheading employees until First Class is full. Many airlines fill up their First Class cabin with frequent flyers (such as TWA, America West, Northwest, Continental). On my last Northwest flight, all 16 F class seats were full, and 10 of them were frequent flyer complimentary upgrades.

N1993R

Wed Nov 28, 2001 11:18 am

I'm Gold Medallion on Delta and its never a problem for me to upgrade provided my fare class allows it. I've got 30+ 800-mile upgrade points sitting in my account accumulating dust right now too, not to mention a handful of NAMUs.

Wed Nov 28, 2001 11:32 am

Delta elite program is so easy to attain that they have too many Medallion Level flyers and as a result on business flights, almost everyone is eligible to upgrade. At the end of the year the situation is exacerbated by passengers attempting to use up their remaining upgrades even if it is on a short flight. I flew a transcontinental route each week for almost a year and on Thursday and Sunday evenings and Monday morning, you would have 30-40 eligible people wanting to standby for one open seat. Even as a Platinum on a full fare ticket upgrades were not easy to come by.

N1993R

Wed Nov 28, 2001 11:48 am

I'd hardly say Medallion status is *easy* to obtain. I've slogged my way through almost 70 segments this year and paid my dues on everything from crappy ASA Brasilias to DLX 732s. I think I deserve a shot at that upgrade!  Smile

delta-flyer

Wed Nov 28, 2001 12:06 pm

The way medalion upgrades work is that the Platinum level customers can upgrade whenever they buy their coach ticket, gold 72 hours before their flight and silver 24 hours. Gold (which is what I am) can almost always upgrade, while silver is 50-50. The problem now is that there are a lot of non-upgradeable fares available and I don't have the balls to spend $400 for a ticket if I can get it for $200 -- even though my employer pays and he won't know the difference.

I flew from LAX to ATL one evening back in February on an L-1011 and all 36 first class seats were taken, while coach didn't even have that many pax.

Another interesting thing is that medalion members can upgrade on domestic segments flown by overseas configured aircraft, which have the Business Elite section with the big 60" seats. These are available on MD-11's 777's and 767-300ER's.

Cheers,
Pete
"In God we trust, everyone else bring data"

railmatt

Wed Nov 28, 2001 12:59 pm

Does Delta sell upgrades in mileage segments? Must you be traveling on the full fare in all circumstances?

I am a non-elite AAdvantage member. On American I can buy First Class upgrades at about $50 per 500 mile segment, on a space available basis. Unfortunately, I have to be traveling on a full Y fare to take advantage of this and that is rigorously enforced. Once I reach the Gold level, I can upgrade on any published fare again on a space available basis.

TWA was very loose with upgrades. Of course, their service standards up front were lower than AA or UA.

iwareboy

Wed Nov 28, 2001 3:52 pm

American requires stickers to U/G, but I still think that's better than DL's "only $$$$ fares can upgrade" policy.

-Sean

Kubla

Wed Nov 28, 2001 11:31 pm

On DL, you can use Medallion segment upgrade points (one per 800 miles) to upgrade from these fare classes: Y, B, M, H, Q, K.

L and U are the two cheapest published classes and you can't use points to upgrade those, unlike some other carriers who allow thier elites to upgrade any published fare. That's why DL Medallions call them "LUser" fares.

DALMM, if you were really having trouble using your Medallion points as a Platinum to upgrade a transcon, why didn't you use miles or a PMU or a NAMU? Those seats come out of a differenet inventory than the segment upgrades.

Thu Nov 29, 2001 12:57 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. Most of the flights were pre-911 and there were very few seats available in any inventory other then F or FY. Delta could almost always fill the cabin without offering any upgrades. They may be a more available now, although when I flew to DCA 2 weeks ago I had to waitlist for an upgrade on Friday and only cleared as a standby at the gate. If I hadn't been on a full Y (a rare event), I would not have cleared.

N1993R: I was talking about all the Silver Medallion levels Delta gives out with corporate contracts and other freebees. GMs and PMs all earn their status legitimately. I never mind losing out to anyone who earns the status. I hate losing out to someone who is given the status and may never have actually flown the airline.