Some Questions About The Shuttle At PHL

Thu Nov 29, 2001 7:21 pm

I'm flying on AirTran out of PHL in about a couple of weeks, and I was wondering som things about the shuttle between Terminals F and C:

1) Do you have to be ticketed on US to take it?

2) How often does it run?

3) Can I see any planes close up along the way?

I'm asking these in case there isn't a long security or ticket counter line when we check in so we could go to the Philly marketplace, and I would like to see other parts of the airport, including the hammerhead on D and Terminal 1.

TonyBurr

RE: Some Questions About The Shuttle At PHL

Fri Nov 30, 2001 1:45 am

Air Tran is flying out of terminal F. It has the shortest security lines, and in PHL that is something to brag about!

The shuttle to C runs very frequently and I do not believe you have to have a USAirways ticket to take it. You travel along the tarmac by terminals B - F and the taxiways and runways so you will see all the activity of the airport. You will re-enter the USAirways terminal right at the Marketplace.

The marketplace actually is very nice. If you like Chinese food there is a good Chinese place there. I always eat there.

If you have the time between flights, go for it!

Fri Nov 30, 2001 2:03 am

Thanx for the info. BTW: I live in Philly and have been to PHL dozens of times, just not after 9/11.

NJTurnpike

Fri Nov 30, 2001 3:47 am

*grin* TB is right about the Chinese place. I highly recommend the Bourbon Chicken!

Annnyyywaaayyy...are you talking about the white shuttle buses (in the Dulles style) ? I had seen them at PHL recently but wasn't sure why they were present.

TonyBurr

Fri Nov 30, 2001 6:02 am

NJTurnpiker - U've got it right about the Bourbon chicken. I ALWAYS take it. Have not seen it anywhere else.

I think he is refering to the USArways shuttle between terminals F and C. The big white Dulles type are for remotes parking of ac to take pax on and off.

PHLflyer

Fri Nov 30, 2001 6:26 am

The mobile lounges (white busses like at IAD and JFK) are there for international flights. Until the new international terminal is open, there are not enough secure gates in terminal A at peak arrival/departures times in the evening (all those flights to Europe).

It is not very far to walk from Terminal C to F, I have walked from A to D and E several times.

Fri Nov 30, 2001 6:30 am

I took the shuttle last week. They are simply city buses that say US Airways and US Airways Express on them. You don't have to present any tickets or documentation to ride on them and the route takes about 3-4 mins from F to C. You see planes pretty close up as the bus drives under D and E.

The Philly Marketplace is fine, but nothing you don't see at other strong airports, PIT, ATL, ORD, etc....

usairways85

Fri Nov 30, 2001 6:57 am

i have taken the shuttle without a ticket and without being questioned, but not after 9/11. the security could be tighter on the shuttle. it does get you close to planes at D and E. while you are there see how the D expansion is going, hope it is done soon.

Fri Nov 30, 2001 7:10 pm

Thanx guys.

PHLFlyer: The difference is that I'd have to go through security at C, and then at F. If it's raining, then E, too.