bacardi182

Who Here Has Their Own Airplane?

Fri Nov 30, 2001 4:51 am

I was thinking of selling my car and buying and old cessna 152 once I get my PPL. Anyone here own an airplane? Any comments about being an owner or buyer? I just want an old beat of POS that I can just fly around all the time just for the hell of it (and to get some good experience and hours). I am sure almost everyone here (at least the pilots) have thought about having their own airplane. Anybody have the balls to actually throw their money into the huge fire we call general aviation?

RE: Who Here Has Their Own Airplane?

Fri Nov 30, 2001 5:03 am

I have a 1/3 share in a couple of CL44s; and all things being equal should shortly be able to announce the ownership of several much larger aircraft!  Big thumbs up  Big thumbs up

In the past, I've owned a DC8-55 (s/n 45854); and briefly a couple of F28-4000s I've 'flipped'.

tsully

RE: Who Here Has Their Own Airplane?

Fri Nov 30, 2001 6:13 am

My dad has a fellow UA pilot friend who had a Cessna 182 and let us take it out whenever we wanted. This guy owned the 182 by himself, but also has a 1/2 share on a Beech 90. I guess the cost of the 182 and Beech got to be too much, as he sold the 182.

I would recommend getting 1 or 2 partners to go in with you on this plane. Even if you can foot the initial cost of the plane, just wait and see how costly it is to maintain the thing. I think planes are far more costly to own and operate than boats...

Good luck.

tsully

I love America. I guess that makes me Bush's poodle, but I'd rather be a dog in New York City than a prince in Riyadh.