TWFirst
Topic Author

New BMI (Central Illinois Regional) - Very Cool!

Fri Nov 30, 2001 5:04 am

The new Central Illinois Regional Airport terminal at Bloomington-Normal has opened and it is fantastic! I flew threw there a couple of weeks ago and will be flying from there again on Saturday. It has 9 boarding gates, 3 jet bridges, free parking, several retail spaces, and service to 5 major hubs with 50 daily flights: St. Louis, Chicago, Atlanta, Detroit and Minneapolis/St. Paul. Evidently it's one of the fastest growing airports in the country. It's definitely going to pull passengers from the entire Central Illinois region, probably at the expense of PIA, SPI, DEC and CMI, but I think it's worth it. It reminds me of a couple of other really nice regional airports with superb jet service: MBS (Saginaw/Bay City) and FNT (Flint) Michigan. It's nice to fly out of smaller airports with great air service, and nice to see that smaller airports such as BMI are growing and being supported by their communities.

An unexamined life isn't worth living.

DCA-ROCguy

RE: New BMI (Central Illinois Regional) - Very Cool!

Fri Nov 30, 2001 6:14 am

TWFirst, did you upload those pix to the site? Those are good enough quality that Johan might take them. Just straighten out the horizon on a couple of them, and work with the brightness/ contrast a little, as well as the sharpen feature. Airliners.net can always use more good airport interior/ overview shots.

Good to see a smaller airport that's got some decent service.

Jim
airport interior/ overview shot aficionado
Need a new airline paint scheme? Better call Saul! (Bass that is)

nwa747-400

Fri Nov 30, 2001 6:27 am

I also just used the new terminal at BMI. The gate I boarded my NW Airlink (Express 1) CRJ was in that last shot and on the right. gate 4. It looked like it was going to be an outside walk, but it was actually a jetway. The upper level gates supprt the large DC9s that AirTran flies and I think American Eagle uses the upper level gates. NW Airlink needs the smaller jetway to operate for the Saab as well as the CRJ.

sfointern

Fri Nov 30, 2001 6:28 am

Sweet pics! I love interior shots!

Cabin views/ airport interior/overview pics are my favorites! Big grin

• SFO
  •  
    aztec01

Fri Nov 30, 2001 6:37 am

Wow! I had heard they were redoing BMI, but I never imagined it wold look so nice. Last time I was there they had only just started a single B737 to MCO. Everything else was t-props. I got a friend out there...hmmmmmm, maybe I should go visit sometime.

SegmentKing

Fri Nov 30, 2001 9:23 am

Those pics are from the website, www.cira.org or www.cira.com

Mike LaPier knows how to get what he wants!!

I still like the layout of CMI!! ;P Can't wait to see what Bob O'Brien does to SPI in terms of a remodel (like decorating those HUGE massive amounts of dirt around the terminal)...

-nate
    ~ ~ ~ ~ pRoFeSsIoNaL hUrRiCaNe DoDgEr ~ ~ ~ ~

chepos

Fri Nov 30, 2001 12:08 pm

It looks like a nice cozy little airport. ATA Connection ( Chicago Express) should consider starting flying out of there.
    Chepos
    Fly the Flag!!!!

TWFirst
    Topic Author

Fri Nov 30, 2001 2:15 pm

Great idea Chepos. AA Eagle and United Express already fly to ORD, but I bet service to MDW with connections to all the low-fare flights out of there would be really popular. I bet NW Airlink to Memphis and Continental Express to Cleveland might be future possibilities as well. Frontier flew to Omaha and then on to Denver from BMI, but that ended a couple years ago.
    An unexamined life isn't worth living.

Fri Nov 30, 2001 4:21 pm

As a resident of BMI, I would like to thank you all for the compliments of our new terminal. The community (especially aviation buffs like myself) is very excited about the new terminal and the growth of the airport. The local media coverage has been great (even though the local tv stations are out of PIA). Even when a new aircraft is introduced to BMI, there will either be a picture of it in the paper, or a story about it on the news. Being away at school, I have not yet had a chance to see the terminal first hand. The past few summers I worked on the flight line, so I watched it go from a hole in the ground to what it is now. I can't wait for my first chance to fly out.

Take care.

John

Fri Nov 30, 2001 7:24 pm

I like seeing the airlines there:

Northwest Airlink
    United Express
    American Eagle

And finally:
    AirTran with no express name

I'm not putting down the airport, just noting how FL can make a profit there as a mainline carrier but no major airline can.

Looks Indeed Cool, No....

Fri Nov 30, 2001 9:15 pm

it looks relaxed and comfortable; great job! For us Europeans it look strange; carpet on the ground... They propably have to change it often I suppose.

Jason Seiple

Fri Nov 30, 2001 9:31 pm

The BMI-OMA-DEN service didn't end a couple of years ago....
    It ended the start of April 2001.