Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

redngold
Topic Author

CVG Spotting Area: Still Open?

Sat Dec 01, 2001 1:00 pm

Back in August I had the pleasure of visiting CVG Airport and spending about six hours at the airport's huge spotting area. The area had piped in ATC over three loudspeakers, parking for about thirty cars, several port-o-potties, two newspaper racks, and garbage cans. It was at the approach end of Runway 27 and raised up from the runways about 50 feet (by my estimation.)

Is this area still open to the public, with increased security?

redngold

flyCMH

RE: CVG Spotting Area: Still Open?

Sat Dec 01, 2001 1:32 pm

I visited Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport's observation area a few weeks ago, and I'm glad to report that it's still open. There is no increased security, however live ATC conversations are no longer available. But at least it's open, it's definitely one of the best airport observation areas I have ever been to.

Sat Dec 01, 2001 1:52 pm

Nobody ever talks about CVG! I didn't even know this existed. If I ever fly through CVG, and I have hours to spare, I'll have to visit this place.

HlywdCatft

Sat Dec 01, 2001 2:43 pm

I discovered the viewing area at CVG on the way to Spring break in Panama City Florida on thedrive down. I always would leave early from Detroit so i could stop at the airports on my way down CVG, Louisville and Nashville. I drove around CVG perimeter looking for a place to view when I had already given up and i thought that i had gotten away from the airport. Then my buddy who was riding with me said something about a sign for an airplane viewing area. So we turned around and drove up the little hill to it. Back then it was just a parking lot an thats all, no portapotty, the speaker system is relatively new. I just discovered it last may. It wasn't there two years ago.

jessman

Sat Dec 01, 2001 2:57 pm

yes indeed, no more ATC  Sad
oh well it's still fun to watch 'em fly, I went there the day before yesterday.

Midway DC9-10

Fri Dec 07, 2001 4:47 am

Does anybody know of good places for action photography outside of CVG's perimeter (besides the obsvervation lot)?

Thanks
Dave

flyCMH

Fri Dec 07, 2001 8:27 am

NorthwestCRJ:
If you're planning on visiting the observation area while making a connection in CVG, you'll either have to rent a car or make sure it's an EXTREMELY long connection. The observation area is located on the other side of the airfield, and would be quite a walk from the terminal.

Midway DC9-10:
The only other place I can think of might be at Comair's headquarters, however I'm not sure if area there have been blocked off or have increased security. However it's right on the airport, but I don't believe it actually is airport property. The best area by far though remains the official observation area.

Midway DC9-10

Fri Dec 07, 2001 10:56 am

FlyCMH,

Thanks for the information. I've been down there once before and it seemed to be very hard to find a good location to get approach shots. I will check out this spot next time I get down there.

Dave

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos