US A333 PIT
Topic Author

Etops 757 Questions?

Sat Dec 01, 2001 6:33 pm

What current nonstop 757 routes originating in the continental U.S. require ETOPS certification besides Hawaii and Europe? Is ETOPS required for flights to Bermuda or other Carribean destination? I ask because I read that AA has 14 ETOPS certified 757's and UA has 16. Why so many if they're only used on the Hawaii runs? Or are they?

RE: Etops 757 Questions?

Sat Dec 01, 2001 6:57 pm

All twin narrow and wide body aircraft should be maintained ETOPS. But dont have to be.

ETOPS is any route that contains a point farther than one -hour flying time, at approved ONE-ENGINE crusing speed under standard conditions in still air, from an adequate airport. IN other words im flying a route I lose an engine and im more then one hour away from a suitable airport. Its considard ETOPS.

The CMP standard defines the ETOPS configuration requirements for the engine and airframe systems.

There are 75 120 138 180 and 207 {777-200} - minute ETOPS diversion authorities the 75 min started in 94 with the 757-200 . Hense as the Twin aircraft equipment and ETOPS program's matured the engine out deversion flight time's increased.

US A333 PIT
Topic Author

Sun Dec 02, 2001 2:40 am

Yea, I know what ETOPS is, but I'm just addressing 757 ETOPS on US Airlines. Actually, to keep 75's ETOPS certified much higher costs are required because they are not certified out of the factory like 76, 777's. In other words airlines spend lots of money to keep their 75 ETOPS standards current. Why would AA and UA maintatin 14 and 16 ETOPS certified 75's respectively if those aircraft are only used on 5-8 routes (to Hawaii). I know at least AA flies 75's to Carribean destinations such as St. Maarten and Bermuda and I was just wondering if these Carribean routes are far enough from a suitable diversion airport to require ETOPS.

ewr757

Sun Dec 02, 2001 4:16 am

CO's 757's are all ETOPS certified from delivery with Boeing. We were flying the 737 EWR - BDA and they are non ETOPS routes. Haven't looked lately at the schedule to see if we use them still.

I know we are using 737's on ETOPS in GUM, but I do not know the particulars about those ops aside from the APU must be run continuosly.

BTW, the 753's are going to be non ETOPS

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos