N960AS
Topic Author

My TWA Tribute And Other Thoughts

Sun Dec 02, 2001 4:34 am

I thought I had an undying love and interest in commercial aviation and all related, yet the last two years have greatly tested my faith. The first two lines of U2's 'Sunday, Bloody Sunday' have basically embodied all that I have felt about aviation in the last two years, those lines are 'I can't believe the news today./I can't close my eyes and make it go away.' This started with the crash of Alaska's 261 almost two years ago, never has an aviation disaster struck so close to home and felt so real. A year later, January 8th, 2001 I was thinking those same words in my head all over again; My favorite airline, TWA was going to be bought and disappear.

From that day TWA has basically disolved into American, and tomorrow all TWA flights will soley use American's 'AA' flight code, all signs will change, and only the remaining unpainted fleet and ground equipment will proclaim the once glorious name.

The TWA I knew, was not the great TWA, yet it was a TWA of hope, trying, a post-Ichan reconstructionist TWA that made it longer than anyone expected. When I first flew TWA again in 1996, after an eleven year hiatus TWA flew to atleast 12 trans-Atlantic destinations, when I last flew TWA, in July, the number was 4. To me this basically symbolizes the TWA of the last few years. While that might sound rather contradictory to my 'TWA of hope' TWA's strong willed employees did everything they could, yet their beloved airline was crumbling around them, all their heartfelt efforts eventually became useless.

The TWA that garnered the praise, the reputation, that spread its proud wings across the globe hasn't been here for a while. TWA was remarkable airline of first and I could volley facts at you about all of TWA's greatness until it caused the true TWA fan's stomach to implode with a sense of emptiness -- but that would not strike at the core of the issue. The issue is that one of America's oldest and greatest aviation names, not just my favorite airline, is slipping away, virtually unnoticed. So before you do anything else today I implore to just think for one moment - today is the last day that you will ever hear any phrase that starts with 'TWA flight....', the red, slanted 'TWA' will also likely disappear with in the ensuing weeks and months. No more, tomorrow 'TW' is gone, thank you so much for all the flights and all the memories.

Jeffrey W
Los Angeles

Commander Data

RE: My TWA Tribute And Other Thoughts

Sun Dec 02, 2001 5:05 am

That sucks that they left this earth! Damn American Airlines!

blink182

Mon Dec 03, 2001 6:58 am

I will second that, it is really hard to believe that TWA will be gone, unfortunately it's true. However for the employees, this is a bittersweet moment. The airline that they love is now gone, but their jobs are saved by a much stronger carrier, and for many of them, this also means getting salary raises.
Good-bye TWA, we will miss you.

rgds,
blink182
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

trnswrld

Mon Dec 03, 2001 7:13 am

Im sure you guys know this but I wanted to stress the fact that if it wasnt for AA TWA would not be here today. Yes I know it was an agreement and TWA would NOT have filed for Bankruptcy if it wasnt for the agreement between AA and TWA. However, if TWA was still independant during sept 11 they would have not made it. So even though the name is gone more is left than if it wasnt for AA. Employees still have jobs (most anyway), there planes will go to a good company, Just think of it that way. Without AA there would be no trace of TWA at all anymore. American is now even a better airline since it hooked up with TWA. Just fly AA from now on and look for the planes with the tail number TW after it Smile

PacificFlyer

Mon Dec 03, 2001 8:04 am

TrnsWrld is right, evern if TWA is gone, it will always be in our hearts. When ever you miss TWA, just look for the registration on AA planes with TW.

DELL_dude

Mon Dec 03, 2001 9:06 am

http://www.nknet.com/twa

DELL_dude

Mon Dec 03, 2001 9:07 am

Bicoastal

Mon Dec 03, 2001 9:18 am

Though I'm happy that AA rescued the employees of TWA and gave them a future (imagine the aftermath of 9/11/2001 had AA not already taken over TWA???), I will always have a personal warm spot in my heart for TWA. My mother was a flight attendant ("stewardess" back then) for TWA in 1945 when my father was a passenger. Needless to say, it was love at first sight and 56 years and 4 kids later they are still going strong.

Memories are great. Good luck to the newly merged airline.
Airliners.net has many forums. It has spell check and search functions. Use them before posting!

skyhawk

Mon Dec 03, 2001 9:33 am

TrnsWrld, I don't know if you are aware of it or not, but it is quite likely that American will re-register the TWA planes and we will unfortunately lose the "TW". When Delta took over part of PanAm, that is just what they did, all planes they got were re-registered, the same thing happened when United stole the Pacific from PanAm. All of the SP's got a new "N" number. I truly hope that doesn't happen here. It is not just a case that Delta and United got part of PanAm, when PanAm bought National they(PanAm) did the same thing. All of the former National airplanes got a new number.

lindy field

Mon Dec 03, 2001 9:47 am

Skyhawk,

They don't really have any "need" to re-register the planes. Delta, after all, flies a number of planes with old Western Airlines registrations, and Southwest flies a few 737s with AA registrations, bought from AA which had inherited them from AirCal.

PacificFlyer

Mon Dec 03, 2001 10:13 am

They might not change the registration of the planes that they recently got now, but likely they would and it would take some time to go thourgh all of their aircraft to change so we would se the TW for a few years, I believe.

skyhawk

Mon Dec 03, 2001 10:33 am

I hope that you guys are right.

Mon Dec 03, 2001 12:30 pm

They're saying about six months for the entire fleet to be in AA colors, and the legacy lives on.