What's The Story Behind This Photo (CU Il-62@MIA)

Mon Dec 03, 2001 3:57 am

Does anyone know what the story is behind the intentional ramming of this CU Il-62 @ MIA

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Don Boyd

Also, does anyone know the date this occurred, the rego of the aircraft, why the Cubana aircraft was there, and most importantly, was the person who did this strung up by the balls?

flightsimfreak

RE: What's The Story Behind This Photo (CU Il-62@MIA)

Mon Dec 03, 2001 4:04 am

The pilot said something like "Airbus, Boeing, blah! It's Ilyushin all the way!" and in his drunken protest, the catering truck driver (who was eaither a Boeing or Airbus employ) said "Take this!" and rammed the plane with his truck. No, he wasn't strung up by the balls, but the pilot walked out, grabbed him by his belt, said "Siempre viva Castro!!!" and tossed him into the #2 engine. Well, it could have happened that way...

spacecadet

Mon Dec 03, 2001 5:09 am

I have a feeling the fact that this is a Cubana airplane in Miami has something to do with it...
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

THE PAUL

Mon Dec 03, 2001 5:14 am

LOL if the pilot was bragging about his POS Russian plane, I would've done the same thing!

(BTW, don't flame me, I personally do not like Russian Aircraft, and I can have my own opinion. Any flamers lamers will be ignored)

chepos

Mon Dec 03, 2001 5:33 am

LOL
AT FLIGHT SIM FREAK'S STORY.
Chepos
Fly the Flag!!!!

Hoffa

Mon Dec 03, 2001 5:51 am

Considering it was Miami, I doubt the offender was "strung up by the balls"---if anything he was probably promoted and given a hefty bonus!

Aviatsiya, why not try contacting Don Boyd (who took the photo) directly. I'm sure he'll have the story.

IMissPiedmont

Mon Dec 03, 2001 9:49 am

Probably rammed by one of the radical Cuban expatriots. As Hoffa mentioned, he was probably not prosecuted. He may well have benn given the job of security chief at the airport. In South Florida, Bautista still rules. Forget the fact that Castro has killed and jailed far fewer dissidents.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

TWA717_200

Mon Dec 03, 2001 9:57 am

FlightSimFreak, great humor!

Mon Dec 03, 2001 10:00 am

I have tried to email Don but haven't heard anything back which is why I asked on here.

Just some other questions:

1) As this is a case that this was an airport employee who caused the damage wilfully, who is responsible for paying the costs to repair the aircraft?

2) They definitely would not have kept Il-62 spares on hand at MIA at the time this pic was taken. Would they have flown parts in on another Cubana aircraft?

--

The Paul

If the pilot had of been bragging about his Russian plane, I would have run him over myself, because last time I check the Il-62M was not a Russian aircraft but a Soviet one.  Insane

b744

Mon Dec 03, 2001 10:56 am

Sure the IL-62 was built during Soviet times, but if the the part of the Soviet Union where the factory was isn't now Russia, which of the former Soviet countries is it?

I understood that Antonov was Ukranian, but IL & TU factories are in Russia...

Mon Dec 03, 2001 2:16 pm

It doesn't matter if the factories are now in Russia, or Kazakhstan, or Uzbekistan, or Ukraine; the Il-62 is a Soviet aircraft.

The only Russian aircraft designed (in service) in the last 50 years is the Tu-214.

The rest are of Soviet design (i.e. all 15 Soviet republics participated in their design and manufacture).

As to Antonov, yes, they may now be a Ukrainian OKB, but they have yet to produce an aircraft whilst it has been wholly Ukrainian. I pull up members here all the time who say that Antonov is Ukrainian, not Russian, with "sorry, but the An-124 and An-225 are SOVIET aircraft". The country of Ukraine has only existed since 1991 (when the Soviet Union disintegrated) (and at least in modern times).

Anyway, if anyone has info on the above incident, please let us know, as someone has to know about it.

yka

Mon Dec 03, 2001 2:36 pm

How are Russians diffrent from Soviets?

B744F

Mon Dec 03, 2001 5:25 pm

Aviatsiya,

ref your question:
1. Airline is filling the form about ground incident, handling company is signing it. Then airline forwarding it to insurance company, who pays for repair and after that insurance company claims money from ground hanling company. Ofcourse, handling company also claiming their insurance company to pay these expenses  Smile
2. On Cubana or Aeroflot aircraft.