United Airline
Topic Author

Will UAL Resume Service Between HKG And Jfk?

Tue Dec 04, 2001 3:10 am

I heard that the reason why UAL suspended its service between HKG and JFK is that........ they planned to use a B 777-200ER on that route but they do not have enough B 777-200ERs. And they couldn't find a code-share partner. And that's why the suspended that route.

However, will they resume service between HKG and JFK? If they can find a partner..... Or when they have enough B 777-200ER?

Hope to hear from you guys soon!

sfointern

RE: Will UAL Resume Service Between HKG And Jfk?

Tue Dec 04, 2001 3:27 am

Believe you me, UA has enough 777-200ERs. That's why more of them are on domestic runs.

There simply isn't room for another carrier in the JFK-HKG market. United has almost no connecting traffic in HKG now that HKG-SIN and HKG-DEL have been discontinuted, and UA has always relied on O+D traffic in JFK, which cannot even feed its JFK-GRU flight well enough.

Look at CX...their heart is HKG and they saw they couldn't even make A340 service profitable. CO, "NY's hometown airline", has reduced frequencies from daily to several weekly services.

Also, UA's HKG operations will forever be hampered until HKG allows Star Alliance partners to codeshare there.

• SFO
  •  
    United Airline
    Topic Author

Tue Dec 04, 2001 3:35 am

You mean for the JFK-HKG route?

I heard that HKG-LAX, HKG-SIN will resume service in the very near future.

OH-LGA

Tue Dec 04, 2001 4:19 am

Des...

if you haven't been paying attention lately, United is in a little bit of financial trouble. They have been pulling quite a few flights from JFK, the latest casualty is the JFK-EZE route. United is considering pulling all flights to London except for one (the breakfast flight which does absolutely nothing connections-wise), and possibly even pull out completely of JFK as an international hub.

It's possible it may come back in the future... but not in the near future.

Kai

Head in the clouds... yet feet planted firmly on the ground.

N1993R

Tue Dec 04, 2001 4:55 am

There simply isn't room for another carrier in the JFK-HKG market.

Thats right. There are ZERO nonstop carriers right now and thats how it will stay, right?

sfointern

Tue Dec 04, 2001 7:07 am

Sean, you know I meant the NYC-HKG market... smartass  Smile

Kai, JFK-EZE is still on the books. It's JFK-GRU that's "taking a sabbatical" from late Dec until March.

Re: JFK-LHR... things that make you go HMMM  Sad

• SFO