bobcat

How's El Al's Inflight Service?(food, Seat, Etc..)

Wed Dec 05, 2001 8:29 am

How's El Al's inflight service?(food, seat, etc..) All I know is that they're one of
the safest airlines in the world... if not
THE safest...

What's the seat pitch in business/first class
on their 747s? Configuration?

Thanks!

elal106

RE: How's El Al's Inflight Service?(food, Seat, Etc..)

Wed Dec 05, 2001 8:31 am

when I flew them they were great!!!
About the 747s, the 747-400 business class are nice. I dont remember about the rest.
All first class has been wiped out of all their fleet.

!!!
cheers
elal106

Wed Dec 05, 2001 8:37 am

Hi

I flew EL AL to Tel Aviv from LHR (742), and then TLV to Manchester (757).

I totally admire their safety procedures, but I'm afraid their service (on my flights), was average.

I did enjoy this sweet liquor they served en-route to Tel Aviv-I forget it's name, but it was very nice!

The food on the flight from Tel Aviv to Manchester was a disgrace, I wouldn't have given it to my dog.

Overall, great attitude to safety, average service.

Regards

aztec01

Wed Dec 05, 2001 3:41 pm

Lox....Yecchhh!

docpepz

Wed Dec 05, 2001 4:07 pm

Safety is of paramount importance. After all in times of crisis, I think El Al will be the best airline to handle it. During a hijack, it will not be the sweet Singapore girl who'll save you.........hahaha. (no offence meant)

El Al 001

Wed Dec 05, 2001 7:10 pm

El Al now offer a full flat bed in 1st class (only at 777s, soon at 744s too.)
Anyway, El Al would start offering from Feb'02 a new C/class, with wider seats, greater pitch (55"-60") etc' (today its 45"-50" on 744s and 48"-50" in 777s)....

At 767s LY offers a 45" pitch in C/class, in the rest (737s, 757s,) C/class is 38" in convertible seats (3 seats become 2).

At Economy, LY normal pitch is 32" but some are 31" (777s) and some are 33".

All 744s and 772s has PTV in all seats, all the rest of the fleet has the regular IFE systems.

El Al's crews are really friendly, and they are improving a lot....!

Food on all of LY flights is Kosher, for someone that eats kosher food, LY is the best! (I eat Kosher and I cant stand the Kosher food on other forgein airlines.... its so ugly....!)

Anyway, El Al breakfast are super! food in C and F class is really great, in Eco not always....

El Al main goal is that people would fly it for its service not security. Thats why LY really tries to improve things!

On behalf of El Al Israel Airlines, I wish you a very nice flight!
Mike Smile

El Al 001

Wed Dec 05, 2001 7:59 pm

BTW, LY106 (did you notice that your name returned into service???.... LAX-YYZ-TLV.... started last Monday)

El Al will keep the 1st class after all!
only 1 777 got it wiped out but those seats will return in no time...

Mike

ly772

Wed Dec 05, 2001 8:55 pm

About the food, it's mostly Israeli food. After being a broad, and you are one your way back home (to Israel), you feel great when you eat a pita with hummous!

Wed Dec 05, 2001 9:15 pm

on Dec 20 I'll make a large-scale analysis of El-Al's level of service... (though only in Y) and I hope to notice a clear improvement that time...

It would have been a great idea to install PTVs on the NG737s too: on the routes El-Al serves with these planes, other airlines are flying bigger a/c with PTVs. Most flights to Europe are over 4 hours long...

TCA256

Wed Dec 05, 2001 10:37 pm

"you feel great when you eat a pita with hummous"

Smile  Smile  Smile  Smile  Smile  Smile  Smile  Smile  Smile  Smile  Smile  Smile  Smile  Smile  Smile  Smile  Smile

Wed Dec 05, 2001 10:45 pm

Hey guys;

Just wondering, but could anyone give a name to this really nice, honey-coloured liquor that was served on my flight from London? Is it an Israeli speciality?

Also, I loved the pita bread and that hummous sauce, we tried this with some veggies whilst walking round shops in Tel Aviv.

But apparently the Greeks also eat this. Is it an Israeli or Mediterranean thing?

I'd love to go back there, but I feel things need to settle down slightly....

Cheers!

Wed Dec 05, 2001 11:22 pm

pita and hummus are found all over the Mediterranean and in the ME; I love it too, as well as some other dishes of the same kind, but it is so faaaaaat......

the liquor is called "Sabra", it is made with oranges and chocolate; you can buy it at BGN tax free shop, but perhaps also abroad.

El Al 001

Wed Dec 05, 2001 11:27 pm

Yak. I hate that Sbara thing....

Best chumus in Israel is Tsabar's one.... but you have so many of those....

BTW, LY uses "Mickey's salad" chumus in its meals....

Mike Smile

Wed Dec 05, 2001 11:40 pm

BTW, all this reminds me that I had had once an excellent oriental dessert on an El-Al flight about 7 (!) years ago; I'd like to know who prepared it, because it is very difficult to find good baklawa & Co (and vitually impossible in Israel!).

Speaking of all these salads and fat specialties, do you like iqra? Strauss makes a dangerously delicious one...

El Al 001

Wed Dec 05, 2001 11:48 pm

They no longer serve baklawa....  Sad

But I really dont know who used to make them.... sorry...

Got my mail?

Mike

El Al 001

Thats For LY106 And Toda,reisinger

Thu Dec 06, 2001 12:00 am

elal106 and Toda, some news for you:

McKinsey presents its strategic plans to El Al management board

The international consulting firm, McKinsey & Company, yesterday presented the El Al management with its proposed strategic plan for the airline. The proposal centers on recommendations for changes to the organizational structure of the national carrier, including the outsourcing of maintenance operations.

The special meeting between the two parties, at which McKinsey presented its additions to the interim proposal submitted to El Al last month, took place during a seminar day for the airline's senior staff at the Maccabiah Village in Ramat Gan.

One of McKinsey's recommendations - not to do away with the first-class option on El Al's aircraft, contrary to a previous decision of the airline's management - was adopted last week by the carrier's board of directors, under chairman Michael Levy.

McKinsey's recommendations are no different, in principle, to those that appeared in the interim report that was previously presented to the airline's chiefs. They have, however, been sharpened following meetings between representatives of the consulting firm and El Al's management. Hence, the document that was presented yesterday is integrative, with its recommendations carrying added weight in light of the re-evaluation of the aviation market following the events of September 11.

Take, for example, the recommendation not to suspend El Al's Boeing 747-200 cargo fleet, contrary to a management decision on the matter, in light of the upsurge in demand for cargo flights on the world market. According to the original plan, El Al intended to sell its four Boeing 747-200 cargo aircraft and to lease, in their place, two Boeing 747-400 cargo planes.

The increase in demand for cargo flights has stemmed from the restrictions imposed by the U.S. federal aviation authorities on carrying cargo on passenger aircraft. The airfreighting of equipment for the war in Afghanistan and the pressing need on the part of commercial companies to fill orders for the final quarter of the year have also led to more demand for cargo flights.

The CEO of El Al, David Hermesh, told Ha'aretz that a distinction must be drawn between McKinsey's strategic plan and the recovery plan formulated by the airline's management. The recovery plan, Hermesh said, was designed to provide solutions to the airline's current situation, with a view to 2002. The McKinsey plan, he noted, was more long term.

According to the airline's spokesman: "The El Al management met with a team from the McKinsey consulting firm and held talks on the following issues: the network of air routes, the structure of the aircraft fleet, cargo, charter flights, the frequent-flyer program, maintenance and data systems. The company's management and the McKinsey team will resume their discussions on these issues and others in the near future."

© Copyright 2001 Ha`aretz. All rights reserved

Thu Dec 06, 2001 12:17 am

don't count on McKinsey's supranatural powers to save El-Al...
And after the Swissair debacle, in which McKinsey has played a CENTRAL role, it could have been wiser to select another firm...

blink182

Thu Dec 06, 2001 12:50 pm

I flew them on their 742s and 744s business class in 1995. On the 744, the seat was pretty admirable, I don't remember the service though. The 742 wasn't as good, for service, i don't remember.
rgds,
blink182
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

Thu Dec 06, 2001 4:52 pm

supposedly the FAs are pretty bitchy, but cute!

elal106

RE:El Al 001

Thu Dec 06, 2001 5:03 pm

hey El Al 001,

Ma nishma?

Thanks for the article your posted on this topic.
I didnt hear about LY106 being reinstated...thats nice
anyways does ELAL actually fly the TLV-YYZ-LAX flight? If so what aircraft do they use? 767/777?
Or does Air Canada operate the flight to LAX from YYZ for ELAL?

thanks again
elal106

Bo negmor ha aravim be aza!!!!

El Al 001

Thu Dec 06, 2001 7:28 pm

Nope, LY fly it on it's own 762 (3 weekly fligths), thats a long flight, all the way from TLV to YYZ and then to LAX.... takes so much time...

LY105, TLV 01:20 - YYZ 07:00, YYZ 08:45 - LAX 11:20, 762, total flying time: 20:00.
LY106, LAX 12:50 - YYZ 20:50, YYZ 22:50 - TLV 16:55, 762, total flying time: 18:05.

Mike

TCA256

Thu Dec 06, 2001 10:37 pm

What ? 18 to 20hours ??? Oooh what a long flight !!!!!!
Tell me, how many pilots are on board ? 4 ? I mean
a senior captain and three rookies, something like that ?
My longest flight was from BRU to Bali, Indonesia
connecting in Kuala Lumpur...something like 20hours on
total...isn't something also linked to the winds over
the oceans ?

mish1234

Flew With Them Many Times!

Fri Dec 07, 2001 2:42 am

Yah I flew with EL AL
sometimes the food is good, sometimes the food is nasty. But one time I remeber I got steak and other fun stuff. And other times I got things I didnt even know what they were. At least there bread is nice and soft not like on Lufthansa. The F/A, yah they can be real bitchy but thats my girls! Infact an off duty F/A mouthed me off one time cause she asked for an opinion about her sunglasses and I just laughed at her. Yah well I was only 15!

El Al 001

Fri Dec 07, 2001 2:53 am

Yea, well that should be the longest flight of a 767 in the whole world.... what a record for El Al....  Smile

It would take much less time with a 777 or a 744 even with a stop at YYZ since they are faster.... but as we all know... the demand is the key...

Mike

elal106

Fri Dec 07, 2001 8:34 am

cool cool

elal106!!!!!!

Eroica

Tue Dec 18, 2001 2:16 am

El Al 001, sorry ti disappoint oy, but there are no flat beds on LY's F/C, only very wide seats with a large angle of recline, but it actually corresponds to business class on many airlines, such as BA's Club World or KLM's World Business Class.
On the 777 the F/C is actually so narrow, that they only sell 4 out the 6 sets... And it is only one row, so it feels sort of claustrophobic.

elal106

RE: Their 757s

Tue Dec 18, 2001 2:35 am

Their 757 seats are great i think!

Tue Dec 18, 2001 2:43 am

Hi Danny! It's nice to hear you again here!

I wonder WHO has decided the layout of the 777's First class...?  Nuts  Confused

baec777

Tue Dec 18, 2001 2:47 am

United played a major roles in the B767s & B777s, so maybe you should say .

baec777

Tue Dec 18, 2001 2:53 am

my question is about El-Al's FC layout; I was not speaking of the aircraft.
Perhaps the word "layout" was misleading?

El Al 001

Tue Dec 18, 2001 5:32 am

I'm Back!

Sure LY has flat beds in it's 777 (soon also at 744s), the reason they sell only 4 of the 6 beds is because when the seats are converted into beds the one who sits next to the window cant get out of his place because there is no room that left to move....

Thats how some things are handled at LY sometimes...

Mike.

Eroica

Tue Dec 18, 2001 5:47 am

My dear friend El Al 001,
I work at Ben-Gurion Airport and I've recently gone up on one of them and checked it out. There are no flat beds, although the seats do have a great deal of recline.

Eroica

Tue Dec 18, 2001 5:49 am

Hi Toda,
I guess the design of the first class on the 777 was made by the same person who decided to stick 245 seats on it's economy class (a world record, I think)...

Tue Dec 18, 2001 5:21 pm

and I thought LY's 777s were particularly comfortable  Confused

Tue Dec 18, 2001 10:27 pm

245 seats is no record?

772 are 300 seat birds you crazy man

El Al 001

Wed Dec 19, 2001 1:05 am

Dude, what you checked was LY new expermental layout of the 777, LY converted one of its 777 into a 2/class one, anyway, this would change once again because LY will remain offering an F/cl product.

LY has Flat beds on 777s, I have a picture of those.
I flew by LY's 777s a few times, I've rode in their F class, THERE ARE FLAT BEDS ON THOSE.

Mike

hb-iqj

Wed Dec 19, 2001 7:41 pm

Hi, I flew 2 weeks ago for my first time on LY's 777 from TLV to LHR.

I got an ail seat from the middle rows and it was so narrow... I had no roomleg and it was just awfull.

Even the back of the seat didnt go so much backwards.

Very dissapointing.

Until last year I had a GL(golden traveller) on LY and I just stopped flying them, because they got me on my nerves, although I think the stewardesses are really cute and xxxy.

I love them.

El Al 001

Wed Dec 19, 2001 9:07 pm

Thats right, LY's Y/cl on the 777 is really horrible, pax are very mad for that.
The airline just said this week that it would study the subject to see what can be done....

Mie

hb-iqj

Wed Dec 19, 2001 11:59 pm

Well if you are looking for sleeplets in elal's first class...

Heere is what it shows on their sight:

El Al First Class is a new way of looking at the world - an entire concept of luxury that will spoil you for anything else. After a pampering flight, a new and exciting gourmet meal, the ultimate in comfort and service to and from New York, we've added something extra to make sure that your First Class experience lasts long after you land.

Royal Treatment
As a privileged, priority passenger, you will be treated to a multitude of special services.

After the security check at the airport, you will be able to bypass the line and go directly to our Shalom Service Priority Handling Counter, where an envelope with your boarding pass and baggage tags will be waiting for you - saving time and effort.

From here, it's on to the comfortable King David Lounge - where a special First Class section has been reserved for you - until your flight is ready for boarding.

Once on-board, our specially selected crew ... whose personalized attention is focused on you ... will make sure that you enjoy:

1. Luxurious seats - converting into sleeperettes

2. A wide range of the latest film releases from the plane's private video library - for viewing on your personal video system on all 747-400s

3. Exquisite gourmet cuisine, painstakingly prepared by our master chefs - impeccably served on fine porcelain and linens

4. Superior wines and cocktails - individually mixed by our crew

5. Elegant personal comfort kits - designed to make the flight even more pleasurable

6. Exclusive gift souvenirs especially for you, our treasured First Class Passenger

Did You Know?
Sleep Service on all long range flights. Passengers will be given large pillows, sheets and blankets... making your flight time just like your bed time at home.

El Al 001

Thu Dec 20, 2001 5:21 am

This is all nice and good, only that LY did'nt upgrade it's site regarding the new F/cl even though a new product was lunched when the first 777 came into service.

Read the text well, why did it only mention the "personal video system on all 747-400s", what happened to the 777s? they also have PTV/PVS!
The site was not updated regarding the F/cl product...!

LY HAS FLAT BEDS ON ITS 777S!!!

mike.

elal106

RE: ELAL's Responce To The Problem

Thu Dec 20, 2001 5:27 am

I just spoke with my uncle.....ELAL made a mistake with the seats in coach so they will take out seats to have more roo in coach.

The business and first seats stay.

Thu Dec 20, 2001 6:48 am

"ELAL made a mistake with the seats in coach"

They nevertheless announced a new era of unknown comfort...

el-al bekivun hadash...