bobcat

Which Foreign Airlines Have US-Canada Rights?

Wed Dec 05, 2001 8:32 am

Which foreign airlines have US-Canada rights?

(that actually sell tickets for US-Canada
flight segments without having to fly out
of North America)

9V-SPK

RE: Which Foreign Airlines Have US-Canada Rights?

Wed Dec 05, 2001 9:02 am

Cathay Pacific flies Vancouver - New York (JFK) with Traffic Rights v.v .

Best Regards

N1993R

Wed Dec 05, 2001 9:22 am

Air India holds dormant fifth freedom traffic rights for the ORD-YYZ sector which has never been operated.

Reference US Department of Transportation orders 97-8-12, 96-8-46 and 93-8-42 for more information.

dutchjet

Wed Dec 05, 2001 9:28 am

Royal Air Maroc, for years, flew a 747 Montreal-JFK-Moracco and had traffic rights. Dont know if that is now operating.

Didn't BA fly between Toronto and JFK at one time in connection with its services to Glasgow (the 757 transatlantic run of a few years ago), did they have traffic rights?

ELAL is another airline that comes to mind, they flew ORD-Montreal-TLV in the past, and also some flights from JFK via Montreal to TLV, dont know if they could carry local pax.

Wed Dec 05, 2001 12:28 pm

Phillipine operates between SFO and Vancouver with an A340

Planeawesome

Wed Dec 05, 2001 12:42 pm

RAM operates YUL-JFK with 5th freedom rights at the present time (3x per week). I believe that Egyptair will begin on the same route in the near future (2x per week).

Back in the seventies, both BOAC and Air France operated YUL-Chicago with local traffic rights as part of their Europe-USA services.

At various times Iberia operated YUL-Mexico City,KLM operated YUL-Houson, Lufthansa YUL-Philadelphia, British Airways YUL-Detroit and YUL-Pittsburgh. I believe TAP did YUL-JFK also for awhile.I'm not sure if any of these had local traffic entitlements however.

In the sixties,there were other carriers such as SAS and Aer Lingus that did YUL-ORD. I think these were only technical stops though.

delta-flyer

Wed Dec 05, 2001 1:08 pm

The European flights through YUL did not have fifth freedom rights in the 60's and 70's. I was an avid timetable collector and I remember these flights had notes stating that no local traffic is carried between these points. However, if you had a ticket from, say, Amsterdam to Houston on KLM, you could fly AMS-YUL on one flight, spend some time in Montreal, then take the YUL-IAH portion another day. YUL was quite a gateway back then.

I remember, too, around 1970 or so, AC was on strike and a friend of ours wanted to fly YUL-SFO but could not find a flight because all the connections through the US on US carriers were full. I suggested the LH flight from YUL-SFO, but they refused to sell her a ticket, unless she would buy FRA-SFO! Again, they did not have fifth freedom rights. (She took the train.)

Cheers,
Pete
"In God we trust, everyone else bring data"

TWA902fly

Wed Dec 05, 2001 1:19 pm

Pakistan Airlines flies (or flew... im not sure) JFK YYZ with 747. I dont know if they had traffic rights on that though.

twa902 chicago
life wasn't worth the balance, or the crumpled paper it was written on

polaris

Wed Dec 05, 2001 1:44 pm

Quite a few countries hold "fifth freedom" rights between Canada and the US. Some of these rights are either unassigned to their airlines or unused by their airlines. The following are among the countries that have rights to carry fifth freedom passengers between Canada and the US:

Argentina, Belgium, Brazil, Bulgaria, Chile, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Republic, Fiji, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Korea, Morocco, Netherlands, Norway, Pakistan, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Spain, Sweden, Venezuela.

There are quite a few...and most of them are either unassigned or unused.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos