FLY777UAL
Topic Author

North American V.s. AA

Mon Jul 26, 1999 7:44 am

Did you know that AA took North American to court a little while ago about their name of all things? AA claimed that the North AMERICAN Airlines was confusing their (AA's) passengers, making AA's pax. book on North American, go to the wrong gates, etc. The courts said that NAA could keep their name...what do you think about all of this? Is AA's claim bad, or do you think that they had substantial cause to take NAA to court?

Thanks in advance,

FLY777UAL

fly777ual@hotmail.com

Charles802

RE: North American V.s. AA

Mon Jul 26, 1999 8:10 am

Complete rubbish in my opinion. They aren't at all similar companies, and the names bring up completely different images (you know, the whole of North America vs. the USA). I certainly wouldn't be confused.

What about America West Airlines and Northwest Airlines? I know, a little different, but still, people aren't getting them confused.

Remember, this is just my opinion.

Mon Jul 26, 1999 8:28 am

I know out here in Ft. Lauderdale, some ATA(American Trans Air) passengers end up going to the American Airlines ticket counter, and they end up w/ a heart attack when they are told that they are at the wrong terminal. There was even a news report about it here.

DeltaShuttle

Tue Jul 27, 1999 1:40 am

I do not understand how you can possibly mix up American and North American. How good do your eyes have to be to notice that North American is not the same as American? How can you mistake American for North American on a flight monitor when the flight numbers are different? I think American is overreacting in this case. I mean come on look at these pictures. The liveries aren't even close.

American

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Emmanuel Parot

North American

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Maxime Prévost-Desjardins

CV880

It Happened Before

Tue Jul 27, 1999 7:45 am

Believe it or not, back in 1979, United Airlines filed a motion with the CAB to prevent Allegheny from changing its name to USAir, contending that it would lead to confusion -- similar to what AA is saying. I remember reading the motion that United filed and it contained tear-jerking anecdotes about a hapless woman and her young child going to the wrong counter on account of some name-related confusion with airlines. It was a classic, and amazing to think that some high-powered attorneys were paid big bucks to write it!