apollo13

Is Frankfurt The Biggest Airport In The World?

Thu Dec 06, 2001 11:48 am

I was looking at some pictures and i spotted this one below it shows an airport overview of frankfurt airport and looking at the size i was wondering is it the biggest airport in the world?

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Dennis Bauer

UAL_777_Pilot

RE: Is Frankfurt The Biggest Airport In The World?

Thu Dec 06, 2001 11:52 am

No , Frankfurt is #5 , ATL is the largest , and then ORD comes in second.

vafi88

Frankfurt is not the biggest airport in the world. I know that Denver International is the biggest in the US, sorry if I didn't provide the answer you were looking forward to...
I'd like to elect a president that has a Higher IQ than a retarted ant.

IAHERJ

No
Actually flown: EMB-120 EMB-145 B717 B737 B757 B767

crank

Thu Dec 06, 2001 12:07 pm

FRA isn't the biggest, ATL is the biggest in terms of traffic, last time I checked guiness record book it said that it's an airport (airport King something) somewhere in Middle East, Saudi Arabia I think with about 220 square kilometers

PHLflyer

Thu Dec 06, 2001 12:10 pm

I think some of you are confusing size with traffic. Atlanta and Chicago are nowhere near the largest airports in the World, but they are 2 of the busiest if not #1 and 2.

UAL_777_Pilot

Thu Dec 06, 2001 12:10 pm

Im a pilot for UAL , Denver is about the 9th , ATL handles the most in terms of traffic , then second to Chicago - Ohare , where im based , then comes Dallas-Ft.Worth.

vafi88

Thu Dec 06, 2001 12:14 pm

You are really a pilot??? That is so cool! I wish I could be a pilot... too young... Cool though!
I'd like to elect a president that has a Higher IQ than a retarted ant.

cv640

Thu Dec 06, 2001 12:57 pm

UAL_777_Pilot, I think he was referring to size and not trafic or passenger wise in terms of size. I believe that Denver is bigger then Atlanta in that repect, but in terms of passengers and traffic, it is clear that ATL is much larger

BarfBag

Thu Dec 06, 2001 1:06 pm

Assuming you're talking about land area, the largest airport is the King Khalid International Airport in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.

nfx

Thu Dec 06, 2001 2:14 pm

i think denver is the largest in terms of size

AviationIvi

FRA

Thu Dec 06, 2001 3:56 pm

Hi,
comparing the number of passagers a year, FRA is no.5, but comparing its whole airport area, FRA would be no.50 I guess...

Not really a big airport, but a nice one for planespotting...

Click for large version

Photo © Ivica Ramljak

Click for large version

Photo © Ivica Ramljak - FRA Spotting

Click for large version

Photo © Ivica Ramljak - FRA Spotting

Regards from rainy FRA
Ivica Ramljak

Andreas

Size Or Traffic?

Thu Dec 06, 2001 4:57 pm

As concerns traffic, the answer was already given, as concerns sheer size, FRA is way behind a lot of other airports. But, working in FRA and using the airport 3-4 times per week, I can assure you it is a big advantage!!
You don't have to travel halfway through the country to reach any given gate. Train and car connection is great, it takes 11 minutes by commuter train to reach Frankfurt City. So, to get back to your question, Frankfurt is definitely not the largest airport worldwide in whatever aspect, not even close. But I find it very well organized, which, in the end, is all that counts.
Regards
Andreas
I know it's only VfB but I like it!

cfalk

Thu Dec 06, 2001 5:19 pm

Let's get specific:

What is the largest airport in terms of land surface?

In terms of construction size (sq. meters built)?

In terms of number of passengers/year?

In terms of number of aircraft movements?

In terms of number of runways?

In terms of number of airlines scheduled (good for spotters)?

Charles
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

UAL_777_Pilot

Thu Dec 06, 2001 8:25 pm

Yes , I am actually a real life UAL 777 pilot! I love every moment of it , and I would encourage any of you young kids that want to be a pilot to go for it . I have been a pilot for 20 years , I started in 1981 with delta , I was unhappy with delta and in 1985 moved to UAL . I have been with them for 16 years , Its my favorite airline. Also I have piloted ORD-FRA-ORD many times , FRA is a small airport in terms of "land" but ranks #5 in the world for "traffic" FRA only has 2 main line runways , they want to add a third , but the surrounding community , and Germany in general are opposed to this idea , because they say that FRA pollutes enough already , and they dont like the airplane , because it pollutes to much . Also FRA wants to add another terminal , this terminal would expand LH's slots at FRA . Germans are opposed to this idea also . I hope this answers your question!

jwenting

Thu Dec 06, 2001 8:34 pm

King Khalid is the largest mainly because of its HUGE military base.
The full name is King Khalid Military City.
I wish I were flying

Andreas

UAL_pilot_777: What Exactly Is...

Thu Dec 06, 2001 8:52 pm

a main line runway? You probably mean runways north and south. Does that make runway west a non-main line runway, because it is only available for take-off, but not for landings?

btw: The extension of Rhein-Main will go ahead, that has been decided, the only problem will be, as usual, that duration until completion will be stretched into eternity, because environmentalists have the right to sue until the very end.

Regards
Andreas

UAL_777_Pilot

RE: UAL_pilot_777: What Exactly Is...

Thu Dec 06, 2001 9:03 pm

Andreas , great question , I should have been more specific in the post . Yes I mean the 2 runways that run N and S . I was talking about "main" runways or runways suitable for landing with "heavy" aircraft such as a B767 , B777 , B747 , A340 , A330 . I did not know that they will go ahead with the expansion , and I knew if it passed , that the environmentalist's in germany will have the construction delayed for quite some time! I love that airport , however i dont care for all of the secruity , that is necessary there . And i dont care for Frankfurt-Main "hauptbahnhof" or main trainstation , its just too crazy . However , all of the problems will be eliminated when the train station at the airport is completed. FRA used to be the largest airport in terms of "traffic" in Europe , but LHR is now bigger . Also many people do not know , that Frankfurt , Germany is the banking capital of Europe . Most people think it is London , but this is not so. Thanks andreas for catching me! I appreciate it! Andres bist du deutsche? Ich spreche ein bischen deutsch! Now I hope I answered your question more specifically!

CHRISBA777ER

Lhr?

Thu Dec 06, 2001 9:13 pm

Not wishing to appear stupid, but im sure (the BBC say it all the time) that LHR is the busiest airport in terms of aircraft movements, and i think ORD has the most runways, and i wouldnt mind betting that if JFK isnt the most in terms of airlines serving, then LHR has a good shout. King Khalid is indeed the largest airport in terms of land mass, but i know Atlanta is the largest commercial airport. Im pretty sure Andrews AFB is the longest runway, and CLK is the most expensive to build. In terms of pax figures im not sure, and i dont think LHR is the busiest, but i know it is the busiest in terms of aircraft movements....

Regards
CHRIS MORGAN
What do you mean you dont have any bourbon? Do you know how far it is to Houston? What kind of airline is this???

TS-IOR

Thu Dec 06, 2001 9:15 pm

Great pic you sent guy !

Frankfurt is the second busiest airport in Europe after
London-Heathrow.
In term of traffic,ORD O'Hare is the busiest in the world
with approx.a movement every 30 seconds.
In term of surface,it is said that Ryadh airport in Saudi
Arabia is the largest.DFW Dallas-Fort-Worth is also
vast.Either RUH or DFW compete for this rank !!!
Next flight TUN-YUL Tunisair A330-243.

9V-SPF

Colin

Thu Dec 06, 2001 9:20 pm

Hi Colin,

your statement about the delayed airport expansion in FRA is right but it will definately be done during the next few years.
BTW: The train station at Frankfurt airport is already completed, although they are planing to replace the glass roof by another floor with a convention centre on it. But this won´t affect the traffic there at all.
And one more correction:
Most of the germans are NOT against the airport expansion, but they are some kind of a silent majority (this has been confirmed by several representative surveys in the region) while the minority of the airport´s opponents can be quite fanatic so that they are highly recognized and often overestimated concerning their influence on decisions which are made in Germany´s politics.

I wish you many happy landings at FRA and anywhere else.

Regards,
Daniel

Andreas

UAL_pilot_777: *LoL* Yes,...

Thu Dec 06, 2001 9:27 pm

as a matter of fact, I am a German investment banker working in FRA but living in Berlin (that's TXL, THF and "Schoenefeld" for all airport freaks).
Thanks for your prompt answer: Yes, I thought so, that it is somehow related with landing.
As for the security: Well what can you do after sept. 11th? But, being a LH senator card holder, I can assure you, there are now no more delays because of security checks. Airfares have gone up in order to pay for increased security measures, but if it works...just don't ask me!
The ICE Train station is already in use, it just looks a bit "un-ready" because of the roadwork still going on in that area.
Concerning the extension, well it is a problem: As you know space is somewhat limited around the airfield, townships or highways wherever you go. But there have several "small solutions" such as a new system for incoming traffic in order to use both main line runways more efficiently, and a collegue of yours told me, it even works!
But you're right FRA is a rather small airport, but well-organised and as a frequent traveller I like that a lot.

Regards from the banker's city FRA
Andreas

(actually LON is still a little bit ahead of us, but as I work for an Anglosaxon employer, I work at both places and don't care which one is first).

TS-IOR

RE: UAL_pilot_777: *LoL* Yes,...

Thu Dec 06, 2001 9:35 pm

Schoenefeld is SXF !!!
Next flight TUN-YUL Tunisair A330-243.

Andreas

Ts-ior...

Thu Dec 06, 2001 9:42 pm

...yes, that's what I seemed to remember,too, and I even typed it in the first place, but then I somehow thought this could be San Francisco, but right after the posting, I remembered SFO.
But: Thanks anyway, I won't forget, though I use TXL exclusively!
Regards
Andreas

skihigh2002

Thu Dec 06, 2001 9:46 pm

Denver is the largest in terms of size. They also have the tallest control tower in the world, and the only bridge spanning an active taxiway.

Chris

Kirstey

Thu Dec 06, 2001 9:49 pm

CHRISBA777ER - LHR is the is the worlds #1 for handling international traffic. LGW has the busiest runway in the world.

sudden

Thu Dec 06, 2001 10:14 pm

Hm....
Just saw something on that photo that made me scratch my head!
Look at the pier to the right. You see that MD88 that is facing to the right. How did they taxi to that gate???
He/she can't have come in and make a right turn to line up at the gate!?
The answer to this might very simpel, so please help me out.

Regards!
Sudden
When in doubt, flat out!

cfalk

Thu Dec 06, 2001 10:19 pm

Sudden,

The nosewheel can be steered.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Seriously, I think there's enough room there.

Charles
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

9V-SPF

Sudden

Thu Dec 06, 2001 10:20 pm

Those airplanes which taxi to that position definitely make a right turn (probably by giving power on only one engine, please correct me if I´m wrong). You can observe this procedure very good when you take a seat in the Käfer´s restaurant in Terminal One because the parking position is right in front of it. I think that the MD-88 ist the biggest plane who can taxi there.

Regards, Daniel

airsicknessbag

Thu Dec 06, 2001 10:22 pm

Do you know which was the largest German airport in terms of surface before FRA built RW18?

Westerland (GWT)!!!

Daniel Smile

sudden

Thu Dec 06, 2001 10:51 pm

Thanks. It looks so narrow, so it made me wonder.
Can they actually turn the nosegear!??
WOW!  Wow! Big grin
When in doubt, flat out!

SQ325

Thu Dec 06, 2001 11:01 pm

FRA is not the biggest but one the most overcrowded airports!

odie

Skihigh2002

Fri Dec 07, 2001 1:43 am

Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) or KUL have the tallest control tower in the world!

karliboy

Fri Dec 07, 2001 3:25 am

I thought it went like this...in terms of passengers...
ATL
ORD
DFW
LHR
LAX
.....and so on...FRA is not the 5th in the world...that i know for sure!

AviationIvi

Fri Dec 07, 2001 3:45 am

<< Seriously, I think there's enough room there.

Charles >>

you´re right. who needs the wood around? Big grin
btw: I could shoot a brown 772 (reg VV-BRH no logo) today and couldn´t find it in my JP? Do you know anything about this airline??? It was a test flight and I guess this bird will be delivered soon...

Colin: let me know when you will arrive at FRA next time and I´ll shoot you on finals with your fat 777 Big grin
(good german!)
<< Andres bist du deutsche? Ich spreche ein bischen deutsch! >>

Regards from FRA
Ivica

Fri Dec 07, 2001 3:59 am

I was under the impression LAX was 3rd in means of traffic.
Iain

funny

Atlanta Is The Biggest

Fri Dec 07, 2001 5:05 am

Its the hartsfield, both in size and traffic. 1 a/c lands every minute.
Jase

HlywdCatft

Fri Dec 07, 2001 5:06 am

The busiest airport is either Atlanta or Chicago. I thought I read recently that Chicago O'Hare took the lead again.

Busiest INTERNATIONAL is Heathrow meaning the most international flights, but it ranks something like 7 or 8 overall in movement.

The largest in size is Denver at 53 square miles.

The most runways I believe is Dallas. I think they have 8 operational with a couple more supposed to open soon.

prebennorholm

Fri Dec 07, 2001 6:56 am

Airsicknessbag: "the largest German airport in terms of surface before FRA built RW18? Westerland...".

Westerland is mostly a glider airfield - with an occational 737 to major German cities mostly in summer time.

Last time I was at Westerland I was attending a meeting at the club house of the glider club. It was dark evening and rain, and we couldn't find the gate, so I was driving up and down a minor road. A police car stopped us since they thought that we behaved strangely, but we told the police in the best German we could that we had to get inside the airport through the back door. The officer said "Follow me", which we did. Down to a small dirt road which went to a wide open gate in the fence. They said "auf wiedersehen" and we poked our way alone on the taxiways until we found a house which was illuminated inside, and yes, it was the glider clubhouse.

I wonder if security is the same today? This was 1978.

Regards, Preben Norholm
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

EGGD

Fri Dec 07, 2001 7:27 am

In terms of passengers, isn't it...

ATL
ORD
LHR

anyways..

EGGD

Fri Dec 07, 2001 7:29 am

ATL
ORD
LHR

anyways..

EGGD

Fri Dec 07, 2001 7:31 am

ATL
ORD
LHR

anyways..

UAL_777_Pilot

Fri Dec 07, 2001 7:38 am

Sure sounds like a great idea . Im tied up this month , On dommestic 777 runs (ORD-IAD , ORD-LAX , ORD-SEA ) Im not sure when I will return to trans-atlantic , but I would love to meet you in FRA. I speak decent german. Ich habe nach Muchen , Frankfurt , Berlin , Stuttgart , Wiesbaden , Ruddeshiem , Bremen , Hamburg , Potsdam gefarhen! Deutschland ist Schoen! Ich liebe Deutschland , Ich denke das Deutschland ist besser als der USA. Und miene liebelings stadt ist Munchen. "Im Munchen Steht Ein Hoffbroi Haus" Anyways sounds great , see you in FRA someday!

BA

Fri Dec 07, 2001 7:43 am

Riyadh King Khalid Int'l (RUH) is the largest airport in the world in terms of land area.

The 2nd largest in the world is Denver Int'l (DEN) with more than 53 acres of land.

The runway you see in blue is the 16,000ft. runway under construction now.

Also someone mentioned earlier that Denver Airport's control tower is the tallest in the world. Well it isn't anymore, it used to be until Houston (IAH) built there new control tower.

The 3rd largest in the world is Dallas/Ft. Worth Int'l (DFW).

Visit http://www.airports.org for up to date Airport Ranks.

Hope this helps.

Regards.
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

UAL_777_Pilot

RE: Colin

Fri Dec 07, 2001 7:45 am

Thank you 9V-SPF . I have some friends that live in Frankfurt , and they told me the vast majority where against the airport expansion . But thanks for the information , I appreciate that have brought that to my attention . I love that airport , And im sure ill love it even more when they get that new runway! Did you also know that MUC is getting a new terminal? Its going to play more of a role in the Star Alliance , and LH system. When completed it will have a new terminal for LH. The last time that I piloted a B777 to FRA was in august , and the trainstation was not completed , we had to take the subway , and transfer in the main trainstation , then take U-6 I belive to the downtown , where we stayed at our hotel.

TWA902fly

Fri Dec 07, 2001 8:03 am

BA are you sure its 53 acres... and not 53 thousand acres. i mean you cant even land a CRJ if you line up 53 acres in a line and make it a runway..

twa902 chicago
life wasn't worth the balance, or the crumpled paper it was written on

BA

Fri Dec 07, 2001 8:05 am

Errrr...sorry. It should have said 53K acres.

My bad.  Smile

Regards.
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

9V-SPF

Fri Dec 07, 2001 8:23 am

Yes, MUC seems to be getting really strong. After having introduced several flights to the United States in the past (for example nonstop services to LAX, SFO, ORD or EWR), LH now increase their network between Munich and asian cities like Hong Kong or Singapore.
Many Star Alliance members like UA or TG also serve Munich regularly.

Quick topic change: You can see the Frankfurt airport train station at the top of the photo that Apollo13 posted in the begining of this thread. The green glass roof, which will probably be removed soon, is clearly visible. There are Star Alliance Check-In counters and also a lounge in this area which is modern but a little bit unconvenient as I think.

Regards,
Daniel

UAL_777_Pilot

Fri Dec 07, 2001 9:22 am

Great! thanks again for the updated info. Bist du deutsche? Ich habe viel freund im Frankfurt! Ich habe nach Muchen , Frankfurt ,Berlin , Bremen , Hamburg , Koln , Stuttgart und Freiburg gefarhen! Deutschland ist toll!

Andreas

RE: Colin And Daniel

Fri Dec 07, 2001 3:32 pm

Good lord,
this thread seems to be going on forever, as it seems. Just to keep it going a few remarks from me:
The green glass roof in the pic is indeed the new train station, where ICEs stop (InterCity Express, Germany's fast-running long-distance train, that connects all larger cities). It is already in use, but Colin will probably never use it to get to his crew hotel. The subway station is right below Terminal 1 B (btw Colin: It's S 8 or S 9), and as far as I know the subway will stay down there.
Daniel, why would they want to take off the glass roof?? I thought this is the final design except maybe some cover until the roadwork in this area is finished.

As for MUC airport: I was there on business several times this year. It is amazing how this whole thing is growing and growing. I even spend a whole day at the airport center behind the Main terminal on due diligence; it's huge, and when you're too tired to look at even one more contract, you can go out and look at some aviation going on, and then get back to work. The only thing I don't like is the distance between Airport and city. Connections are good, but it takes too long. Probably I'm spoilt by FRA and TXL, where it takes 10-15 minutes max to reach places of interest.
MUC could be a good example how to do it right for my hometown of Berlin where discussions about a new large airport are just going on and on and on...Though it is somewhat different from MUC, as the administration has not even decided to go on with it.
Right, I have to get up and go to work now. It's Friday morning in Germany and I have at least one flight ahead of me today, though only short-haul.
Regards
Andreas

btw: Apollo13, thanx for opening up this thread though you might be wondering how your topic went astray.