FlyPNS1
Topic Author

DL Connection Grows @ DFW

Fri Dec 07, 2001 2:51 am

We all know that DL has been replacing many mainline routes out of DFW with RJ's and also replacing some props with RJ's. Yet, DL also seems to be adding quite a few new markets. Here's a few that have recently been announced:

DFW-TLH
DFW-IND
DFW-CRP

Right now, DL only has two daily RJ flights on CRP-ATL, so what's the big rush to add three RJ flights on CRP-DFW a far weaker hub w/ more competition? Is DL trying to steal a little marketshare, thinking that AA has other things on its mind?

Hoffa

RE: DL Connection Grows @ DFW

Fri Dec 07, 2001 3:29 am

Interestingly enough, Comair rather than ASA will be operating the new DFW-TLH/CRP services which is bound to raise a few eyebrows since ASA has ruled the roost at DFW ever since Delta first hubbed there. I've seen suggestions that DL management is trying to hedge their bets since the ASA pilot contract negotiations will soon be upon us. Then again, ASA may simply not have the aircraft to cover the new flying.

From Delta's perspective, this simply continues their policy of building up feed at DFW through regional jets rather than mainline flying, both with new services to places like SAV and replacing the EMB-120 intra-TX routes with an eye toward eventually phase out of the E120. The CRJ is a perfect for hub-raiding.

I'd bet that DFW-CRP is a pretty strong O&D route but surely there are better routes to cherry-pick than that.

Fri Dec 07, 2001 4:54 am

Don't forget DFW-MOB. Operated by SkyWest next month. Used to be a Boeing 727, but it was changed.

Hoffa

Fri Dec 07, 2001 5:06 am

Have noticed Skywest (as DL connection) is slowly drifting eastward (new SLC-AUS/SAT routes) but DFW-MOB is definitely pretty far from home from them.

OH-LGA

Fri Dec 07, 2001 5:41 am

We (SkyWest) are starting to move slowly eastward, both on our DLC and UAX systems... we're starting to establish a small hub at DFW for some DLC operations (but currently being ground handled by ASA), and we opened a hub at DEN as well... to the apparent delight of DEN flyers, who are/were less than pleased with Air Wisconsin's operations there. There are opportunities for current SkyWest employees to travel to newly established stations to help them out (on our days off), a few here at SFO have gone to DEN to help out, and some have gone to SBA as well (I'm interested in trying out the latter)...

it's an interesting time in the regional industry, that's for sure.

Kai
Head in the clouds... yet feet planted firmly on the ground.

JetService

Fri Dec 07, 2001 5:45 am

Any chance DL Connex will attempt to directly compete with some of Eagles' RJ flights from DFW to medium sized cities?
"Shaddap you!"

Fri Dec 07, 2001 6:31 am

Whats the problem with AirWisconsin? I've only flown once with them ORD-GRB, not a bad flight, but I hear nothing but awful stories about them (Of course, I am not suprised...it all relates to United!). I have more options than UAL, and I am taking them. Comair was better than AirWis for sure.

Fri Dec 07, 2001 6:33 am

SLC-SAT is a mainline route.
AUS-SLC is a combo mainline/RJ route