VS744
Topic Author

Seat Assignments Or Grab Them When You Can?

Fri Dec 07, 2001 8:15 pm

As you probably know, most of the cheap 'no frills' airlines (well, in the UK anyway) tend to allow you to pick your own seat once on board. This is of course, against the norm of seat assignments at check-in.

Personally, I think it creates chaos at the gate when people are sked to come forward if they are old or have small children etc. You also get a massive hoard of people fighting to get on the plane first so they can get the best seats!!

Although you still get this when you have seat allocations before boarding, I think its much worse when you just have a sequence number.

What are your opinions??? should all airlines assign seas on check-in, or is it better to just have a free-for-all scrap???

VS744
Topic Author

RE: Seat Assignments Or Grab Them When You Can?

Fri Dec 07, 2001 8:41 pm

oh....ok  Sad

LON-CHI

Fri Dec 07, 2001 8:45 pm

I prefer being able to choose a specific seat when I make my reservation. I have never flown an airline with the "free for all" seating and never intend to. I avoid these airlines like the plague!

Fri Dec 07, 2001 8:48 pm

Nope, I prefer a more-or-less guaranteed seat.

Of the no-frills airlines I've flown though (Go, Buzz, Ryanair), only Ryanair don't assign seats.

Not sure what the story is with Easyjet though.

I suppose that in some cases though (ie. night flights, short flights), I don't really care-it's the price that's most important.

Cheers

VS744
Topic Author

Fri Dec 07, 2001 8:50 pm

Easyjet is the same, Fight for your seats!

why do they do that? is it cheaper?

how can it be cheaper if it is???

BCal Dc10

Fri Dec 07, 2001 11:33 pm

the free for all scrum is quite a laugh... on a short flight (which all Ryanairs are...) who cares anyway. And, most people leg it for the front door. I went to the back door and got a free go at any of the back 10 rows, as there was congestion up front in the aisle as people faffed about with kids getting them into the front seats, stashing hand luggage etc.

On longer flights it can be very irritating asking for a window seat, getting it then getting on board and find its one of those windowless "window" seats, that isn't. Like I did last year on a KLM 767 to Bahrain. Plane was packed to the rafters so no chance of a swap. (and I couldn't be arsed asking).

SleasyJet claim it saves on costs, but I'm not sure why to be honest...

VS744
Topic Author

Fri Dec 07, 2001 11:43 pm

Sleazyjet probably saves money because they give you a poxy plastic covered boarding card, which they re-use over and over again! So you dont get a printed card to board with.

But Ryanair still print out your boarding pass with a sequence number e.g. 001, 002 etc......instead of 10A, 10C etc...

I think its pants!

BCal DC10,

I also do that, people tend to rush for the front entrance, and if you go for the back, you are guaranteed to get a windo seat. Also, you can be close to the exit as well, so when you arrive theres no huge wait to de-plane!

Sat Dec 08, 2001 12:15 am

You can always recognise the frequent travellers as they are the ones that hover close to the boarding gate, waiting for the off!

FR board the families with small kids and the wrinklies first, so there's usually a scrum at the front door as other people have said. Personally, I generally go in the back and grab an exit seat - the -200s were great as the window seat behind the exit had no seat in front of it and I could really stretch out! In over 100 flights with FR, haven't missed getting a decent seat once.

afay1

Sat Dec 08, 2001 12:56 am

I have been on American Eagle flights with assigned seats, and been told that they didn't matter and to just pick wherever I wanted to sit (was on ATR-42's). This caused a lot of confusion as not everyone heard this and was justifyable annoyed I was in "their" seat. I doubt they do this post 9/11, but it was an interesting experience. I too get annoyed when I get a non-window window seat. The worst is being stuck in a 2-5-2 plane somewhere in the 5 part. I am an aisle man for most flights, unless I haven't been there or it is a short flight, and than I take the window. At least then there is only one or two people who have to get the behind or the crotch when you pass them to go to the bathroom!

Sat Dec 08, 2001 2:45 am

.....oh, brother! tell me about the non-window window seats!  Insane

This is what happened when I flew Virgin to Chicago earlier this year; yeah, sure you can have a window seat Mr.Picard.........then I find a nice cabin wall to stare at! Big grin

I think on the B742, this is just behind the third exit (both sides?) I managed to get a view out of the exit door window by adopting rather alarming positions!

Regards

nonrevman

Sat Dec 08, 2001 3:02 am

I am surprised that no mentiion of Southwest has been made yet.

Assigned seats are great, since you know what you have before you get there--unless there is the dreaded equipment change to a smaller plane.

I think that the numbered boarding cards would work too, but it has a flaw. When they call for people with small children and those who need a little extra assistance, it is amazing how many people suddenly come forward with "special problems". This gets abused alot. I think Delta totally did away with the preboarding except for its Medallion level flyers. Of course, those guys know what they are doing and waste little time getting their bag put away and being seated.

AC_A340

Sat Dec 08, 2001 4:01 am

I prefer being able to select my seat at the time of my reservation.