United Airline
Topic Author

Will Swissair Survive?

Sat Dec 08, 2001 11:41 am

Will they? If yes, will they keep the name?

ba777-236

RE: Will Swissair Survive?

Sat Dec 08, 2001 12:33 pm

They are only going to survive till April or May. And then CrossAir will take over 50 to 75 wide body planes from Swiss Air. 75% of Swiss Air's flights will be flown

Hope this helps,
Ba777-236
I like British Airways! I'm not sure why, but I do! ;-)

United Airline
Topic Author

Sat Dec 08, 2001 2:06 pm

So, will they keep the name?

VirginA340

Sat Dec 08, 2001 4:48 pm

I think the name is being changed to Crossair.
"FUIMUS"

ghost77

Sat Dec 08, 2001 4:50 pm

So Crossair will be now the Flag Carrier or Switzerland??

What would be their fleet??

Rich  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
APM
Ricardo Morales - flyAPM - ¡No es que maneje rapido, solo estoy volando lento!

gerardo

Sat Dec 08, 2001 8:07 pm

Crossair will lease up to 26 narrowbodies and 26 widebodies currently operated by Swissair. ALong with that, Crossair will also take over some operational departmens and people from Swissair, e.g. pilots, f/a's to start with.

As for the name, this will be decided within the next few weeks or months, thqa same goes for the alliance decision.

Swissair will end its existence by mid 2002, more or less, when all has been sold to new investors or closed forever. I doubt, that the name "Swissair" will survive, due to legal problems.

But I also doubt, that the name Crossair will be used for the intercontinental flights. An experts opinion (this one is really an expert) said, that Crossair could make problems in the near east, where the cross is a symbol of Christians. Can't judge this one, but it sounds logical.

Regards
Gerardo
http://fly.to/zrh
dominguez(dash)online(dot)ch ... Pushing the limits of my equipment

CPDC10-30

Sat Dec 08, 2001 9:15 pm

Crossair could make problems in the near east, where the cross is a symbol of Christians

I thought this applied in all parts of the globe  Smile

funny

Sat Dec 08, 2001 9:27 pm

I think that swissair will not survive. I also think that crossair will be next in line to run out of business.
Jase

teahan

Sat Dec 08, 2001 9:56 pm

Hello,

Swissair, the 70 year old company is dead. The new Swissair, whatever they are going to call it is alive but it will just never be the same. I don't think it will ever penetrate the hearts and earn the respect of Swiss people like Swissair did. Take it this way, Swissair carried the Swiss flag, and with it the beliefs and pride of every Swiss person. Will the new company do they same? I have my doubts.

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Peter Unmuth - Vienna Aviation Photography

There were rumours by a member of this forum on another thread that it would be: Swiss Air Lines, Sounds interesting enough. I was hoping for Swiss World Airways (yes, I know it was used at one time) Overall Swiss Air Lines is actually nice, certainly nicer than some other proposed names.

Fly Swissair now or never.

Jeremiah

http://www.groups.yahoo.com/group/swissair
Goodbye SR-LX MD-11 / 6th of March 1991 to the 31st of October 2004

gerardo

Sat Dec 08, 2001 10:21 pm

OK, CPDC10-30, I wrote perhaps a tiny little bit misunderstandable.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

What I meant was, that the one and only Christian symbol, the cross, could lead to some negative sentiments towards Crossair amongst people, which are not Christians. Ok?

BTW, just to make it clear, that was said by a well known publisher of an economics magazine, not by me.

Gerardo

airmale

Sat Dec 08, 2001 10:40 pm

Swissair at present fly their "Cross" to a number of Muslim countries without any hinderence, those that create problems are not practising true Islam and are narrow minded bigots. I can guarantee that if SR were to serve Afghanistan in the Taliban days they would have been welcomed, Cross, Skirts and all Smile
.....up there with the best!

ContinentalEWR

Sat Dec 08, 2001 11:15 pm

I don't think Swissair will survive in its present form for the long term. The carrier was destroyed by stupid, inept, greedy, and incompetent management and the multitude of McKinsey advisors who thought it was wise to invest in unprofitable European airlines like TAP, Sabena, LOT, and Air Liberte.

You will still see a Swiss airline, no doubt. Switzerland is a major business and tourist destination and a favorite connecting point for passengers heading to Africa and the Middle East. Crossair will probably keep the Swissair name but it will be a much, much smaller airline. Five daily nonstops from JFK to Zurich? Forgettaboutit!

ContinentalEWR

gerardo

Sat Dec 08, 2001 11:33 pm

ContinentalEWR, Swissair has already reduced their ZRH-JFK/EWR flights. No doubt, the new airline will be smaller (about 30-40%?) than the current known Swissair. The size will depend of course on the development of global economy and also on the alliance, which Crossair wants to join as soon as possible. I doubt that Star would need another airline in Europe with 26 longhaul aircraft.

Gerardo

go canada!

Sat Dec 08, 2001 11:38 pm

what about one world, there is the space,especially if Aer lingus dies?

air male-are you saying that the new afghanistan wouldnt let swissair planes in?

It is amazing what can be accomplised when nobody takes the credit

Snoopy

Sun Dec 09, 2001 2:50 pm

"Overall Swiss Air Lines is actually nice, certainly nicer than some other proposed names."

I seem to remember that Swiss Air Lines was what it was called right at the very beginning. I think that there are some classic photos of early Swiss Air planes with that written on the fuselage.