marcelduchamp

Enhanced SQ Meal Service

Sat Dec 08, 2001 4:52 pm

1) Have heard from the grapevine that SQ has done away with the traditional pre-plated casserole dish for the main course. Instead, cabin crew will plate the meal of choice for passengers individually, similar to a First Class style of service. But plates are square shaped. That's all I know.

2) Snack boxes in Economy Class have been stopped. Instead, crew will distribute snacks from trays. Doesn't exactly sound THAT flash, apart from the introduction of fruit baskets (similar to a traditional Business Class dessert service).

At least SQ is doing something to improve instead of going the UA way of cutting trolley service (cheese board/fruit basket) in Business Class.

Anyone experienced these enhancements yet?

carmy

RE: Enhanced SQ Meal Service

Sat Dec 08, 2001 5:07 pm

SQ's cabin crew are currently undergoing training for the enhanced meal service on Business or Raffles Class. There are a lot of changes introduced this time round, and passengers on Business Class will see a return to trolley serivce for their soup and salads. This will mean that passengers will be able to choose what they want or don't want in their salads, and see the cabin crew preparing the salads for them.

The fruit baskets are only for Raffles and First Class passengers. Previously, only First Class passengers were entitled to fruit baskets. Now both JCL and PCL passengers will be able to choose their choice of fruit from a basket. Crew will then cut the fruit and serve it to the passengers. These changes are meant to position SIA's Business Class as the premier choice over other airlines.

As for PCL, passengers will see enhanced service on certain flights. If my memory serves me right, there's a new Japanese meal service as well. Can't remember the exact details though.

Haven't heard about the changes in YCL yet. But anyway, these changes will ensure that SIA is continually in front of the competition in JCL and PCL.

SInGAPORE_AIR

Sat Dec 08, 2001 6:32 pm

This is good news. Food has not been SIA's strong point (so I've heard), and this enhancement is certainly appreciated.

Thanks Marchel and Carmy  Big thumbs up
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

marcelduchamp

Sun Dec 09, 2001 3:02 am

Thank you Carmy for elaborating.

From what I've heard, the enhancements have already been implemented as of Dec. 1 on key routes, such as, SIN - LHR vv.

In regards to the fruit baskets, it is my understanding that they have been around since the creation of Raffles Class 10 years ago, if not before. I have experienced the service myself in the early '90s. Therefore, it's nothing new. But it's placement and usage in Economy Class is part of the latest "upgrade".

In regards to "Singapore_Air", I think that the Asian airlines have almost always competed on service/catering instead of cabin comfort. Many can remember SQ n CX offering only 38" pitch while the others had at least 40". Usually it will be the American/British/Oceania carriers that laid on more space, such as Virgin, Continental, Delta, Qantas and now, British Airways.

I have always regarded SQ's Raffles Class meal service as one of the better ones but not at the top. Their wine list though, is utterly excellent! Airlines like Lauda Air and Air New Zealand no doubt do better, but if u flew BA, QF or UA, the meal wouldn't be quite up there with SQs'.

As a total package, Raffles Class is definitely amongst the top 3, with BA and CX, as the BEST business class for a 3 Classes of Service carrier.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos