Bruce
Topic Author

Southwest Jobs Questions

Tue Dec 11, 2001 10:44 am

I was browsing the Southwest website and their job descriptions. I have a few questions if there are any WN folks on the board here or for anyone who knows.

Flight Attendants get paid $14.90 per trip. Well, how many trips is a typical workday and a typical week? How many "hours" does a "trip" equal? Even if you made 5 trips a day for 5 days a week that would be a pretty low wage.

There seems to be several jobs that are listed that don't require a lot of specific experience, like they are entry-level. They have a position called "crew scheduler - operations" and "crew scheduler - inflight". Do they hire people who want to get into the industry for those jobs? Other airlines don't list these kinds of positions on their sites. How hard is it to get a similar job at Northwest or CO for example? Is WN the only one who has entry-level in those areas? If you get a job as a "Crew Scheduler I" are there good advancement opportunities in position and pay?

With the economy like it is do you think I have any chance at all to get an airline job?

I was browsing the airlines' jobs recently because I'm thinking of changing fields. I do have a college degree and 10 years experience in the media field but I wouldn't want to try for an airline job if all I can get is an $8 hour baggage person. Seems like there ought to be some positions for an entry level "professional" type of aviation job.
Bruce Leibowitz - Jackson, MS (KJAN) - Canon 50D/100-400L IS lens

Dash8King

RE: Southwest Jobs Questions

Tue Dec 11, 2001 11:03 am

Yeah and I was wondering what kind of perks low cost carriers get?