Austrian, Volare & Eurofly May Fly To RSA

Wed Dec 12, 2001 12:08 am

Hi.

Seems as if South Africa is currently more popular than ever with visitors; from btonline.co.uk:

'Several airlines are considering adding services to South Africa as demand for flights increases.
Both Austrian Airlines and Alitalia might resume flights to South Africa, which both carriers withdrew earlier this year. Alitalia subsidiary Eurofly and new European carrier Volare are also planning to launch South African routes.

According to Carmine Bassetti, executive director of Airports Company of South Africa (Acsa), Eurofly could introduce six South Africa-bound flights per week from next April and Austrian Airlines is considering the reintroduction of one or two flights a week, at least one being direct to Cape Town.

Monhla Hlahla, CEO of Asca, has asked South African Airways to use aircraft withdrawn from its New York service to operate on its services from Johannesburg to Paris and Zurich.

Other airlines have recently increased frequencies to the country. KLM, for example, has recently added three weekly flights from Amsterdam.
Lufthansa has introduced six weekly flights from Munich to Johannesburg.

The likes of Virgin Atlantic and Air France are now operating their flights to Johannesburg on larger planes.
South Africa is being seen by tourist and business travellers as a safer destination than some cities in Europe and the US in the wake of the September 11 attacks.'

Regards
(from someone who is flying to Cape Town tomorrow  Big grin ).

airblue

RE: Austrian, Volare & Eurofly May Fly To RSA

Wed Dec 12, 2001 12:18 am

For Volare Group I think they mean Air Europe.

patroni

Wed Dec 12, 2001 6:20 am

This would be excellent news!

Just came back from South Africa (Cape Town and Jo'burg) and I was positively surprised to see that several airlines also now operate daylight flights from Europe to JNB and back, and also from CPT to LHR (Virgin A340).

As I heard from fellow passengers on the SAA 737-800 between JNB and CPT, all their flights to JNB had been rather full, regardless if they came with LH, SAA, AF, BA, SR or IB.

Best regards,

Tom

Konstantinos

Wed Dec 12, 2001 7:49 am

wish i was flying to capetown tomorrow.

Rickster

Wed Dec 12, 2001 7:22 pm

I´ve never understood why Austrian Airlines gave up South Africa. Some friends of mine working as F/As at OS told me they had a very good load factor. Nobody in the company had a clue why the former management closed down JNB. Anyway OS had some very strange strategies in the past, hopefully this becomes better now.

After the pax collapse on all transatlantic routes OS is desperately looking for new (old) markets again (to resume Shanghai for example, wich was also discussed).
I can imagine that OS and LH will create a deal between MUC and VIE, so to say 3 - 4 times LH RSA to MUC and/or 2 -3 times OS to VIE.
Regards

johnboy

Wed Dec 12, 2001 7:53 pm

Certainly shows how curious times are when people think of South Africa as safer than the USA!

Wed Dec 12, 2001 7:58 pm

Johnboy, even in 'normal' times, I wouldn't class the US as being a lot safer than RSA anyway!

Regards

Sunair

Wed Dec 12, 2001 8:02 pm

This is great news! More flights means greater investment.

Picard, hope you have a great time in CPT!!  Smile

SunAir  Wink/being sarcastic

Wed Dec 12, 2001 8:33 pm

Yup, flying on BA 59 tonight at 7.30pm, seat 14K. Yay!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

South Africa here I come!  Big thumbs up

Regards

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos