Scooter
Topic Author

Those 'heart' Graphics On WN

Wed Jul 28, 1999 3:23 pm

What is the significance of the red heart logos (with usually a '1' in them) on most of Southwest's aircraft? The only thing I could think of was that it had something to do with their home base at Love Field, TX.

I dunno. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks in advance,

-Scott
San Diego, CA
My name is Scott, and I am addicted to writing trip reports.

winair

RE: Those 'heart' Graphics On WN

Wed Jul 28, 1999 5:18 pm

I think they might have to do with the airline winning some airline award many times in a row...they have that 37 titled "Tripple Crown" I think they one whatever award 3 times in a row....

Trent

Thu Jul 29, 1999 3:24 am

I live in Phoenix now and I see Southwest everywhere! I have been pondering the same question... What does that heart with the "1" in the center mean? Actually, I saw an old Southwest commercial and they had a slogan which went, "We're the number 1 airline with heart." Cheesy, I know, but I think that may answer your question. However, I would not be surprised if the heart logo had some other significance. I'm interested to see what other people think.

N766UA

Thu Jul 29, 1999 12:04 pm

The "heart 1" signifies the triple crown award SW has won 3 years in a row. The 1 is just part of the medal. I guess meaning #1. good question though.

-PS
This Website Censors Me

Thu Jul 29, 1999 12:08 pm

Each year, when Southwest achieves the #1 position in certain DOT standings (I think in something like on-time performance, baggage handling, and passenger satisfaction, but correct me if I'm wrong), they award themselves with a "heart", which is part of the whole "LUV" theme. After winning in these categories three years in a row, they called it the "Triple Crown" and painted an aircraft accordingly. I don't think they actually achieved what they call the Triple Crown, however, because the year they painted that aircraft, AWA won #1 in baggage handling.

I find it odd that few people in the general public (including myself) really know what it means.

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Michael F. McLaughlin

Thu Jul 29, 1999 2:30 pm

I thought I saw something about their flight attendants winning some type of award, and that's what the heart meant. Who knows....only SW employees, obviously.

NAL757

GulfstreamGuy

Thu Jul 29, 1999 5:53 pm

(24291 almost had it right) To clear this issue up, in 1992, the Triple Crown award was started and given to any airline that could be rated #1 inALL 3 of the following categories: 1.On-Time performance, 2.Baggage Handling, and 3. Customer Complaints (fewest of course....duh!). When WN wonit for the second time in a row in '93, the "#1 heart" logowas applied to the fuselages of all their planes. Well, when it was won for the fifth time in a row, Southwest decided to dedicated a special livery to N647SW (their newest 737-3H4 at the time). This aircraft was christened "The Triple Crown". The heart is just a part of the medal itself. It also goes along with WN's "LUV" and "heart-shaped" themes (just look at their aircraft "Silver ONE"'s 25th Annivesary logo on the nose.). I hope this helps answer your question.GulstreamGuy
"If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane. " -Jimmy Buffett

Charles802

Fri Jul 30, 1999 7:00 am

GulfstreamGuy wrote:
-------------------------------
(24291 almost had it right) To clear this issue up, in 1992, the Triple Crown award was started and given to any airline that could be rated #1 inALL 3 of the following categories: 1.On-Time performance, 2.Baggage Handling, and 3. Customer Complaints (fewest of course....duh!). When WN wonit for the second time in a row in '93, the "#1 heart" logowas applied to the fuselages of all their planes.

How come only the on-time data is on www.bts.gov?
I can't find any complaint data from before 1996.
I would like to see how the other airlines measured up in complaints and baggage. Also, there is a fourth catagory which I guess WN didn't consider important---denied boardings. I gather they didn't win in that?