US A333 PIT
Topic Author

LAX Spotting Question

Thu Dec 13, 2001 3:07 am

In a couple of weeks I will be flying PIT-ORD-LAX-OGG all on American/American Eagle. My layover at LAX is scheduled to be at least 3.5 hours and I was wondering if any of you know any good places where I could go to veg out and watch heavies land and takeoff. Any help here would be greatly appreciated and I apologize if this has already been discussed.

hawaiian717

RE: LAX Spotting Question

Thu Dec 13, 2001 10:31 am

US A333 PIT,

You will most likely be in Terminal 4 at LAX (I think they only use Terminal 3 for short haul west coast stuff). If you head to the south end of the terminal you will be close to runways 7/25 and you can watch the action from there. You won't be able to see anything on the north side (runways 6/24) though.

You could try heading up to the observation deck on top of the theme building if it's open, but then you'd have to go back through security, which is more trouble than its worth.

Also note the existence of the underground tunnel airside at Terminal 4, it goes to Terminal 5 (mostly Delta) and 6 (some Delta, some United, Continental, National) if you want to check out those terminals. In my opinion Delta's Terminal 5 is the nicest at LAX, and Ruby's in Terminal 6 has good food. Once in Terminal 6 you can also get to Terminals 7 and 8 (both United), all without having to go out past security.

David / SAN

modesto2

RE: LAX Spotting Question

Thu Dec 13, 2001 11:09 am

Hawaiian717 is right, you'll be arriving at T4 and AA's west coast service uses T3. T4 is adjacent to the international terminal so you'll see a fair share of large, international aircraft. It's also a good place to view take-offs on 25R. Depending on aircraft, many aircraft rotate somewhere near T4. Enjoy LAX, it's a great place!