Cyprus-Turkish
Topic Author

British Airways Upgrade?

Thu Dec 13, 2001 5:42 am

I will be flying from Orlando International to London Gatwick on 16th December, this sunday. It is going to be my first time on BA and my first time on a 747.
Can anyone tell me how i can find the registration number of the plane that i will be flying with? Or is it going to be a surprise?
And what are my chances of being upgraded to Wolrd Traveler Plus? Biz? First? How can i improve my chances for getting upgrading? Does last minute check-ins help? Any suggestions?

Regards,
Cyprus-Turkish

shamrock104

RE: British Airways Upgrade?

Thu Dec 13, 2001 6:07 am

A sure way to get an upgrade, try paying for one.

Cyprus-Turkish
Topic Author

Thu Dec 13, 2001 7:36 am

If you pay for it then it is not an upgrade is it?
Thanx anyway.

Captain.MD-11

Thu Dec 13, 2001 7:52 am

Dress smart, act professional, travel on your own and hope that they have over-booked in economy!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Twins,twins, everywhere.... but where are the three holers?

n175dz

Thu Dec 13, 2001 8:02 am

Although I don't think if it's possible to know the reg. of the a/c you'll fly before you travel, it's possible to verify it once you have. If you take a peek at:

http://www.lhr-lgw.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

you'll find that this site has rapidly updated movement info in and out of LHR and LGW and I find it really useful for checking what a/c I was on!

I'm afraid I can't really help you with the upgrade, but as Captain.MD11 says - hope that economy is overfull!

cheers, Phil.

iwareboy

Thu Dec 13, 2001 8:15 am

Upgrade on BA?? WUHAHAHAHAHA!! Good one... Seriously though, if they're overbooked, first priority goes to FF's with full fare tickets, then FF's, then regular passengers.

-Sean

Cyprus-Turkish
Topic Author

Thu Dec 13, 2001 10:13 am

Does American AAdvantage qualify as frequent flyer for BA? Or is it completely different?

Thu Dec 13, 2001 10:15 am

No way will they upgrade a guy who has never flown with them before. To be upgraded for free you need to do a lot of traveling (recently) with them. Your AA mles are as good as Chucky Cheese tokens with BA!
Iain

Cyprus-Turkish
Topic Author

Thu Dec 13, 2001 10:23 am

All right so if the economy is overbooked they will just chuck me out da plane den? is dat wot u mean? and i fink Chunky Cheese are quite valuable.
thanx

2912n

Thu Dec 13, 2001 1:20 pm

If you want to try for an upgrade try asking the desk agent. They have a tremendous amount of power! There are no hard and fast rules about upgrades...In fact BA used tos ay on the website that they did not even do upgrades! But, on a trip from home to LGW back in AUgust I was upgraded to business on the way out and on the way back, and that was for my whole family of 3!!!! It never hurts to ask...But be nice, don't demand!

star_world

Thu Dec 13, 2001 6:35 pm

BA have a very clearly defined policy for upgrades. Firstly, they will only EVER consider upgrading anyone if the flight is overbooked. Then, it goes strictly by status order - they will start with Premier and Gold card holders, and then Silver. Even after that (the chances of needing to upgrade more people than that are very slim though) they will upgrade elite members of partner airlines.

So if economy is oversold, they won't leave you off the flight, they'll upgrade their elite members to free an economy seat for you. This is how it works in most airlines also.

star_world

Thu Dec 13, 2001 11:32 pm

If economy is over booked, then the economy passenger who has flown the most with BA will get upgraded; not you!
Iain

cfm-56

Fri Dec 14, 2001 12:57 am

I agree on this, as I have several times been upgraded to biz class on SAS flights as I am a Eurobonus Gold member, even if I had a Q ticket = the cheapest you can get!  Big thumbs up

"In thrust we trust" CFM56

Greg

Fri Dec 14, 2001 1:46 am

British Airways is notorious for not upgrading. In fact, when Club World was oversold they offered us seats on ANOTHER flight instead of first offering us First Class ones. It was only after we protested...did they very cheerfully upgrade us into an othewise EMPTY first class cabin.

BTW..this was LGW-IAH

mariner

Fri Dec 14, 2001 1:57 am

I have no affection for BA, but why should they upgrade you or anyone?

It's a business (and they're losing a big bunch of money). You've paid for a service which they wil provide. But why should they give you a more expensive product when you've paid for the cheaper one?

How often would Tiffany give you a 2 carat diamond when you've only paid for a 1 carat?

Doesn't matter if Tiffany can't sell the 2 K, or BA the First Class seats, it remains a business decision.

As to the argument "other airlines do it", okay - fly other airlines.
aeternum nauta

Fri Dec 14, 2001 2:05 am

In short, Cyprus-Turkish - you have roughly the same chance as a bunch of Taleban soldiers up against a Sabre Squadron from the SAS!

shamrock104

Fri Dec 14, 2001 8:09 am

Wait a minute, why the hell are we all being so negative? Okay, so we all are saying you don't have a hope in getting an upgrade, but hey, give it a go, and maybe.......who knows it might just be your day, and if not, i'm sure you'll enjoy BA's worldtraveller service, certainly a cut above the rest, you'll have PTV'S, good food and friendly fa's, who could ask for more in economy.

enjoy the experience.

Cyprus-Turkish
Topic Author

Fri Dec 14, 2001 10:29 am

Thank you everyone,
I am visiting home after a very long time and I am very glad to be on BA, and that's why I got my ticket from them. I am sure it is a good pick from MCO-LGW, and yes i will try my luck. I hope one day we can all afford flying in first, till that day lets keep saving some miles  Smile

Cyprus-Turkish

Fri Dec 14, 2001 11:01 am

I would not do anything suspicious on any flights for the next couple of years, however next year I am dressing up on my flight back to LAX. I think I am goin as superman, however I might be bob the buikder you never know!
Iain