kdca4life

ATA, AirTran, American Trans Air? What?

Thu Dec 13, 2001 9:31 am

Ok, what is the difference between AirTran Airways and American Trans Air? I know there is one, but I can't for the life of me figure which is which, and who flies what where. I know AirTran has a base here at BWI (I think?). But other than that, can't tell the diff.

Which one goes by "ATA?" And, which owns the trademark "Valuejet?" I remember one of them had an a/c make an emergency landing on some island in the atlantic. I also know that one of them flys a boatload of 717's as well.

Whenever one mentions ATA, AirTran, American Trans Air, etc. I have no clue what they are talking about. LoL. Am I the only one unable to keep these guys straight?

meechy36

RE: ATA, AirTran, American Trans Air? What?

Thu Dec 13, 2001 9:37 am

AirTran is the former Valuejet who fly the B717's, DC-9's. I think the 737's are gone now but not sure.

American Trans Air is ATA, a scheduled/charter operator which flies L-1011's, 757-200/300 and 737-800s

The carrier that put the A330 down in the Azores was Air Transat, at least I think that is the name, they are a Canadian operator.

Cheers, Mike

PHLflyer

Thu Dec 13, 2001 9:43 am

I believe Air Tran is based in ATL where as ATA or American Trans Air is based in IND?

FlagshipAZ

Thu Dec 13, 2001 9:45 am

ATA = American Trans Air. Newest plane is the 737-800 with winglets!  Wink/being sarcastic They are a little larger than Air Tran, also known as the former Valujet. Their callsign is/was Critter. Air Tran's newest jet is the 717. Currently they have the largest fleet of them. Air Tran has a simple scheme on their fleet, while ATA has a more colorful scheme, with palm trees painted on the tails, making it one of the more easily recognizable carriers there is. Hope this helps. Regards.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." --Ben Franklin

Jj

Thu Dec 13, 2001 9:46 am

Meechy36, you are right. The airline which had the fuel problem, and made the landing withowt the engines running at Azores, portugal, was Air Transa, which is a canadian operator.
AirTran was formed after Valujet ceased operations, in great measure, due to a crash of one of it's dc9's in the Everglades, after takeoff from miami, if i remember correctly.
American Trans Air is a charter airline, which also used to have regular services, one that I can remember now is New York-Belfast-Riga (Latvia), which was mainly operated because the owner was a son of two Latvian inmigrants.

hope this helps,

jj

ILuvYak40

Thu Dec 13, 2001 9:53 am

Jj -

American Trans Air is NOT an all-charter airline. They have scheduled service from their hubs in IND and MDW.

kdca4life

Thu Dec 13, 2001 9:56 am

I'd like to meet the person that thought this up... lol  Yeah sure

So,

ATA is American Trans Air, which is a charter operation? Anyone know if it's part 135 or 121?

AirTran is the former ValuJet/Critter... I'm guessing they're a 121 op.

And AirTransat had the issue with the emergency landing in Azores.

Interesting... I'll have to digest this. Thx for the clearup though.

AmtrakGuy

Thu Dec 13, 2001 9:59 am

Actually, there were Valujet and AirTran. Valujet was based (headquartered) in ATL. AirTran was based (Headquarter) in Orlando. After the Valujet crash, and Valujet was trying to get back on their feet but they were having imagine problem. So Valujet brought out AirTran (who was having fiancial problem at that time and flying mostly 737s I think). After buying out AirTrans, it was decided to be AirTran and retired the "Valujet" brand name. Also, they moved headquarter to Orlando but keep the hub in Atlanta.

After the merge (or buy out), they retired the 737s.

Dave

TWA902fly

Thu Dec 13, 2001 10:04 am

ok this might help....

ATA= American Trans Air
Chicago-Midway, Illinois
Indianapolis Indiana
http://www.ata.com
737-800
757-200
757-300
L-1011

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Scott Leazenby

Click for large version

Photo © James Reppucci

Click for large version

Photo © Justin Cederholm - Orlando/Tampa Aviation Photography

AirTran
Atlanta, Georgia
http://www.airtran.com
717-200
DC-9-30
737-200(i think they still have it)

Click for large version

Photo © Chris Sheldon

Click for large version

Photo © Brian Stevenson - Orlando/Tampa Aviation Photography

AirTransat
Toronto, Ontario
http://www.airtransat.com
A330
L-1011
A310

Click for large version

Photo © Rob Rindt

Click for large version

Photo © Felix Sieder

hope that helps you to see the difference

twa902 chicago

life wasn't worth the balance, or the crumpled paper it was written on

meechy36

Thu Dec 13, 2001 10:56 am

All are part 121 carriers.

Cheers,
Mike-BOS

lindy field

Thu Dec 13, 2001 11:13 am

And all of them have horrible names that confuse people.

Dazed767

Thu Dec 13, 2001 11:27 am

ATA (American Trans Air) -

Click for large version

Photo © Richard Chase

Click for large version

Photo © Ivica Ramljak - FRA Spotting

Click for large version

Photo © Erik Frikke

Old color 727, which is still flying (how many are left? I saw 2 here at MCO a week ago)

Click for large version

Photo © Justin Cederholm - Orlando/Tampa Aviation Photography

AirTran -

Click for large version

Photo © Gregg Stansbery

Used to be Valujet

Air Transat -

Click for large version

Photo © Ralph Kunadt

Yeah it is confusing, I don't blame ya.  Big grin

Justin

exnonrev

Thu Dec 13, 2001 12:04 pm

While we're still confusing matters, let's throw in ATA's radio callsign (and the name of its corporate parent) - AmTran

CactusA319

Thu Dec 13, 2001 12:24 pm

American Trans Air or ATA started out as a charter carrier in 1973. They are headquartered in Indianapolis and have their major hub at Chicago-Midway. Their fleet includes 737-800's, 757-200/300, L1011, and a few remaining 727's (about 3-4 left but they'll be gone soon.) They fly a mix of charters and scheduled ops...about 55% sked, 45% charter. Most of the sked ops. are flown out of MDW to major US destinations and they will be adding destinations in Mexico and the Carribean in 2002. They also fly sked and charters for Pleasant Hawaii Vacations to (you guessed it) Hawaii. They are the 11th largest US airline and obtained major airline status (revenues upward of $1 billion a year) in the year 2000. Their radio callsign is AmTran.

AirTran originally started out as a low-fare carrier based in Orlando using 737-200's. ValuJet began as a low-fare airline based in ATL flying DC-9's. After the crash of Flight 592 and the subsequent FAA grounding, ValuJet had a serious image problem. They merged with AirTran and meshed both airline's operations. They are headquartered in Orlando although they retained the VJ hub in ATL. They also have "focus cities" in PIT and BWI. They fly 717-200's and DC-9-32's. The last of the 737-200s inherited from the original AirTran were retired shortly after 9/11. Their radio callsign is Citrus.

AirTransat (a shortened version of Air TransAtlantic) is a Canadian charter operator although they have scheduled service as well. They have a fleet consisting of 757's, L1011's, A330's and A310's. I'm not too familiar with much of their operation. They did have that incident with the A330 running out of fuel over the Atlantic and making a deadstick landing in the Azores.

Hope that helps!

GoAllegheny

Thu Dec 13, 2001 1:15 pm

There was a story in today's Indianapolis Star that ATA is going to start flying some of the grounded 727s soon in the charter division.

Fly_ATA

Thu Dec 13, 2001 1:21 pm

ATA will dedicate 10 727's to the large Funjet contract that they just signed ( Sun Country flying ).

travatl

Mon Dec 17, 2001 3:34 am

CactusA319

You had the most accurate, (factually and historically), as well as clearest explanation yet.

However, the true confusion for passengers occurs in cities where four ticket counters right in a row belong to (such as in MSP):

American Airlines, Amcerica West Airlines, American Trans Air, and AirTran Airways.

It's quite a hoot to stand back and watch the shuffling of passengers.

Travis

travatl

Mon Dec 17, 2001 3:35 am

Oh...and I almost forgot about FLL where AirTran and AirTransat have ticket counters and gates right next to one another.

hehehehe

Travis

Jean Leloup

Mon Dec 17, 2001 3:41 am

Actually, Air Transat is headquartered in Quebec. They are a very québecois company with deep ties to the PQ government, which is why I don't like that. However, they certainly do have mor flights out of YYZ, because that's where all the money is!
Next flight.... who knows.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos