TWA902fly

"Dressed For First Class" Huh?

Fri Dec 14, 2001 6:20 am

SO i read on a trip report that some guy didn't have the right shoes to fly in First Class? what does THAT mean? I didn't know you had to be dressed a certain way. I flew ORD-SLC this summer in First and I was wearing Shorts, and Doc Maarten sandals... they didnt say a thing...

twa902
life wasn't worth the balance, or the crumpled paper it was written on

donder10

RE: "Dressed For First Class" Huh?

Fri Dec 14, 2001 6:22 am

Its to do with upgrades to first and people looking like they would be in first paying themselves.

UALbrat

Fri Dec 14, 2001 6:26 am

Non-revs have to follow strict dress codes -- on UAL there are dress codes for each class of service. I've been given a free fashion evaluation at the gate several times.

USAFHummer

Fri Dec 14, 2001 6:29 am

If there was a dress code for first then I never would have been in first. Usually I get last minute on-the-plane upgrades to First if space is available and my dad is present and I wear jeans, t-shirt, and sneakers...

This isnt the 1950's anymore...

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

kaitakfan

Fri Dec 14, 2001 6:36 am

I have learned my lesson now flying non rev on United. I always wear dockers, polo shirt, and doc martins. There was one time i forgot to bring my doc's when I was going to Hong Kong, Bangkok and tokyo... flew out to LAX the night before and went to target just to buy some dress shoes in inglewood! now that wasnt much fun and I learned my lesson then to dress for first class always!!

Tbird

Fri Dec 14, 2001 6:40 am

Greetings:

"Dressed for First Class" this must be a joke right???? Personally I could care less if you sit in first class wearing sweet pants or a three peice suit. Nobody has the right to judge a book by its cover.

Thanx
Tom

Cpt. Caveman

Fri Dec 14, 2001 6:40 am

Hey,

It depends how you are travelling:
1: If you travel as a Non-Revenue passenger, this means when you received the ticket as stby ticket, from the airline itself.
For this tickets you have different priorities:
For example: I once travelled on AA in First Class on a A13 ticket, this means training for the airline! You have also the D2 ticket, is airline employee using his/her free tickets to go on vacation for example!
When U use this kind of tickets, and you whan't to make a chance to travel or in Business or in First Class, than you best look at the dresscode!

2: When you have a full fare First or Business Class ticket on AA for example: when you have a full "J" ticket for business, or a full "F" ticket for First Class, then is doesn't matter, then you can even sit in First with your short and T-shirt, sandals whatever.
This because you payed a full price, this is than the contrary with the free tickets, here you should look what you're wearing!

Regards  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Cpt. Caveman

TWA902fly

Fri Dec 14, 2001 6:48 am

Actually I upgraded using United MIlage Plus miles... so i didnt pay the full fare?

twa902

fly_emirates

Fri Dec 14, 2001 7:03 am

Well, no body has the right to tell some one what to dress! As a flight attendant, i dont care what my passengers are dressed like, but i would recommend some tips for dress....

always try to avoid nylon clothes and clothes that expose large parts of your body, as in the unlikely event of an evacuation, exiting the planes through slides can cause some minor burns while friction with the evacuation slide
Try to avoid high heeled shoes as they would puncture the evacuation slide, so they are not allowed while evacuation and they must be taken off.

other wise, passengers want to feel comfortable, so dress what you want as long as it is safe!

KAL_LM

Fri Dec 14, 2001 7:18 am

I've always believed you should look presentable. I'm not saying you have to wear a 3-piece suit, but at least be clean. I've never been given a hard time for what I look like, even when flying non-rev. But the maxim is true, if you look nice, you'll get treated better (usually...).

Regards,
Tom
is that a light at the end of the tunnel or just a train?

Iflymidwexprss

Fri Dec 14, 2001 7:26 am

I agree that revenue-paying pax should be able to wear whatever they like. But last summer, on my last non-rev trip on NW(I worked for a sister airline), my company handbook stipulated exactly the type of clothes we must wear to be eligible to sit in Business or First. It may have been a pain, but I sure wasn't complaining in F class on the way to/from Europe! A small price to pay for one hell of a fringe benefit, IMO.

OH-LGA

Fri Dec 14, 2001 7:41 am

That was probably me with the wrong shoes  Smile

Airlines have dress codes for non-revenue (airline employee) travel, so the "feel" of First Class is retained. It's also done so for the non-rev passenger to blend in with the paying passengers, because it's an unstated rule that you need to blend in as much as possible, you do not make any light of the fact that you are travelling non-revenue space available.

Anyways, I'm probably going to New York again next week... I'll be wearing my dress shoes this time  Smile

- Kai
Head in the clouds... yet feet planted firmly on the ground.

TWA902fly

Fri Dec 14, 2001 8:05 am

yeah i think it was you... flew SFO-JFK-SFO right?

SInGAPORE_AIR

Fri Dec 14, 2001 8:10 am

There is a very different definition of F Class between Europe and the US.

On US Domestic, First Class is simply 40" pitch or something with some alcohol beverages and a slightly better service. In Europe and Asia and US International V. Long Haul and everywhere else, it's 6ft 6" beds with 14" PTVs, AVOD and beaming service with turn down service in Connolly leather.

That should explain it.

Another example, take for example the seat plans that Boeing and Airbus use for their A380 / 777. Now if Singapore Airlines put those kinds of F Class seats on, I wouldn't support them one bit. Who would?!

That should explain it  Big thumbs up
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

Fri Dec 14, 2001 8:11 am

It is the first class image, you can wear shorts sandals, t-shirt etc, however if they are clean, and you look smart they are fine.
Iain

Lortab 7.5mg

Fri Dec 14, 2001 10:19 am

It definitely applies to non-rev passengers only. I've flown on first just wearing a t-shirt, shorts and gym shoes.

ILS

Fri Dec 14, 2001 10:21 am

Back in the 60s, 70s, and 80s, people wanted to make other people know that they belonged in first class. they wore their Sunday's best and acted very politely. That was old school and doesn' happen now.

OH-LGA

Fri Dec 14, 2001 11:10 am

That's what you think ILS...

Business formal to Business casual is usually worn in First Class... I haven't seen anyone in First Class wearing like what some of you are wearing... if I did flights that had First Class I'd be relatively strict, but also give leeway. It's the attitude and the way you present yourself that would make the biggest impact. Like Iainhol said... you need to look smart if you are sitting in First.

- Kai
Head in the clouds... yet feet planted firmly on the ground.

vafi88

Fri Dec 14, 2001 11:39 am

You always should look presentable. It doesn't have to be a suit, but wear something clean and non-wrinkled, also you should have your pants pulled up atleast so nobody could see your ass. Plus you get treated better if you are dressed nicely. On my trip to Las Vegas I will wear my new,and clean, jeans and a t-shirt with a (just now washed) hoodie on top.
I'd like to elect a president that has a Higher IQ than a retarted ant.

SophieMaltese

Fri Dec 14, 2001 1:23 pm

I have a friend who flies first all the time and dresses like a slob. He's never been told anything.

ILS

Fri Dec 14, 2001 1:27 pm

I flew a DL 757 in FC DFW-MSY on a weekday with a lot of business men in FC, I was dressed in a suit and tie myself, if I hadn't have been, then I would have felt stupid. For long haul FC, dress comfy casual, for short haul, dress nice.

airlinelover

Fri Dec 14, 2001 2:27 pm

2 of the last 3 flights I took I was in a shirt and tie.. Not because of some "Dress Code", I wasn't even in first class.. I just wanted too..

Chris
Lets do some sexy math. We add you, subtract your clothes, divide your legs and multiply

HlywdCatft

Fri Dec 14, 2001 2:36 pm

Ah hell,

I wore a heavy metal t-shirt and decent jeans and my girlfriend wore vinyl pants and a tight top when we flew down to Miami on first class from Detroit. The FA's treated us very good, we were polite to them unlike Mr. Snooty Businessman across the aisle on the A319 from us. I could hear Mr. Buisnessman grumbling about how we were dressed and then he DEMANDED special service from the FA's and pissed and moaned about everything. Let's just say the FA's came around us more.

jwenting

Fri Dec 14, 2001 2:44 pm

My father experienced more than once that you WILL get less service in business and especially first class if you are not wearing suit and tie.
On one KLM flight between Amsterdam and Sao Paolo (sp?) he (and someone else dressed similarly) was totally ignored when he was dressed in (Calvin Klein) jeans and (Hilfinger) polo over (Nike) sports shoes until he demanded to see the captain to file a formal complaint.
He didn't get drinks, food or anything. Had to store his own bags while those of others were stored for them (minor, he didn't care at the time), etc..
This was no incident. On other flights similar things happened, though less extreme.

So, while there may not be a formal dresscode (maybe some airlines have one, KLM does not) the flightcrew do treat passengers differently based on their dress.
I wish I were flying

Dalmd88

Fri Dec 14, 2001 4:55 pm

People used to dress well for any air travel. It was an unspoken rule that you got dressed up to fly, nomatter what class you were in. I usually nonrev soe the rule still stands. Even when I purchase a ticket I still dress that way. Too many people in the US think shorts, ripped tee shirts and flip-flops are appropriate attire for ever occation. End Rant

B737-112

Fri Dec 14, 2001 5:24 pm

I saw a guy get kicked off a USAirways flight while he was boarding late one night at LAX for "non suitable clothing" for first class. He was not an employee but was boarding in a basketball jersey and shorts, very common look here in LA.

TWA902fly

Fri Dec 14, 2001 10:23 pm

I've seen all sorts of people in first class. What stands out is those people with backpacks and stuff who look like hitchhikers. But I don't mind anyone as long as they don't smell bad.

DALMD88- I've never seen anyone wear a ripped T-Shirt OR Flip-Flops. Ive seen sandals and just t shirts... but youre explaining this like something i might sleep in (if it's clean) or go paint a wall in ( a useless old T-Shirt). People who don't have anything better than a ripped T-Shirt usually can't aford flying, let alone First Class. And I'm sure that people like that have no means of upgrading either.

twa902

sccutler

Fri Dec 14, 2001 10:31 pm

"...was boarding in a basketball jersey and shorts, very common look here in LA...

Emphasis on common.

Trust me, folks, in life, you never know where your opportunities may arise. Never pass up on the possibility that making a good impression, today, on this flight, may lead to an opportunity to advance yourself or do new business. Or, another way of putting it, you cannot ever retrieve a bad first impression.

Finally, to be frank, conducting yourself with reasonable dignity (including the impression you convey by your style of dress and its appropriateness to your surroundings) is one way of showing respect for those around you, including (in this context) cabin staff. Just because you can dress in anything you like when flying F, does not mean that you must.

If you "slob down" when flying in order to make a statement, you most assuredly have done so- and that statement is: "I am an arrogant fool."
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

Tan Flyr

Fri Dec 14, 2001 11:29 pm

Sccutler just made almost all of my points....I'll just add that "you only have one chance to make a first impression". You never can tell who that impression might be made on, and what opportunities may or may not come your way based on that impression.

Some of you folk need to re-examine your thoughts just a bit..it may pay off quicker than you think!

Greg

Fri Dec 14, 2001 11:40 pm

I travel in shorts and sweats sometimes. I'm not the least bit concerned how I look as long as it's presentable. It's my money and I'll be confortable--in any class.

Get this...BA once made me step back and turn around at the check in counter like they were checking me out (I was in tennis shorts and shoes travelling in Club World). I reached out and handed the lady my gold card and a business card from my law firm. I got checked in very, very quickly. But I'm very certain she was going to make a comment.

There doesn't need to be a dress code for flights--as long as everyone is C-L-E-A-N!

dutchjet

Fri Dec 14, 2001 11:56 pm

Simple, you get what you pay for......if you paid for a first or business ticket, or used your miles and paid for your premium ticket that way, dress as you please. I usually sit up front, and if on holiday, I will dress casually and if I am flying for work, will dress for formally (ie, from the airport to a meeting). To my experience, on many many airlines, the level of service is appropriate to the class regardless of your attire.

If you are non-rev, looking for an upgrade, flying while "at work" for the airline, it is true that those dressed in a business like fashion have a better chance of getting a better seat.

Hepkat

Sat Dec 15, 2001 1:14 am

Well, I was once turned down for an upgrade on Alitalia becuase I was wearing jeans, even though I was tastefully dressed. The lady at the check-in counter explained that if I had bought a business class fare, there was nothing she could do, but for complementary upgrades, the managers insist that you be suitably dressed.

Andreas

Is This Some Sort Of Joke?

Sat Dec 15, 2001 1:38 am

It must be. I fully agree with fly emirates. There is no rule whatsoever in the whole wide f..king world, that tells you what to wear in first or business or coach class, as long as you don't dress in a way that is against the law (like going nude or wearing a t-shirt with a swastika on it etc.), on the ground and in the air. Well, going nude is maybe a bit different, but let's not get into daydreaming....*ggg*.
I've seen or rather smelled people on the aircraft who were obviously not acquainted to the concept of washing, I saw punker and other members of certain movements who went on board in full dress. Though one thing I never ever saw: That the crew complained (not even LH, Sabena332, though I remember a very young F/A on a FRA-TXL flight on a Friday night before the Christopher Street Day Parade. One pax obviously was already in full parade dress, which some people might have considered in appropriate, but she couldn't help staring at the guy or whatever he/she was, and then she started to have such a hard laughing fit, that she entertained the whole back half of the aircraft, even the parader was amused. But I can assure you: NEITHER WAS THROWN OUT OF THE AIRCRAFT!!!).
So where did you read this strange story?
Regards
Andreas
I know it's only VfB but I like it!

GoAllegheny

Sat Dec 15, 2001 2:37 am

Personally, I prefer dressing up a little bit when I am in first class, which isn't often. Conversely, dressing up in cattle class seems a bit silly to me, since I am usually so cramped that any decent suit will be severely wrinkled. Attitude is so much more important to me, regardless of what anyone is wearing. Some people are extremely self-obsessed, regardless of whether they are a grungy teenager or a well-dressed business person. I try to stay away from them. What I will say is that in the US, Southwest has some of the best variety of people, both the good and the bad.

ILS

Sat Dec 15, 2001 2:40 am

My usual first class attire is khaki pants or shorts, Polo shirt, and Birkenstocks.

zrs70

Sat Dec 15, 2001 3:01 am

Seems that the majority of people here have the attitude of "it's all about ME.... I don't care what other people think..... I can wear whatever I want, and if you have a problem, live with it."

C'mon, folks, we sound as though we are entitled to everything and that the world owes us. First class is not a seat, it's an attitude. If you show up with an "I don't care if I offend you" attitude (whether it's a snobby, demmanding businessperson or a slob who puts his/ her bare feet up on the bulkhead wall) then I consider you no-class rather than first class.
17 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2016

Andreas

Zrs70: And What Exactly Are You..

Sat Dec 15, 2001 3:31 am

trying to tell us. Sorry, but I don't get your point. You pay a lot of money to travel first, does that mean I'm selfish if I don't wear a suit or something? Am I no-class then? Who are you to judge other people from their clothes? Is first class an exclusice club where rich well-educated and sophisticated people like to stay among themselves??
COme on, you don't really believe that hogwash???
Have a nice weekend
Regards
Andreas

zrs70

Sat Dec 15, 2001 4:28 am

Andreas,

I am assuming you are responding to me. Please read my post again. I don't care what people look like. I care how they act. And if they act with no-class, then they don't belong in ANY section of the airplane.
17 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2016

Andreas

Zrs70: Yes Zrs70, I Did Indeed...

Sat Dec 15, 2001 4:49 am

...respond to you.
Ok, then I agree with you. It's just so that it wasn't that clear in your first posting.
Have a nice weekend
Regards
Andreas

TWA902fly

Sat Dec 15, 2001 6:39 am

WHy would people care about what you're wearing in first(as long as its clean)... the seats are so big that youre so far away from them that most likely it wont matter. And if it does... that reminds me of the joke about the white south african woman and a black south african man where she wanted to be moved but they put him in first instead. If someone has a problems just because of how you dress... they should be moved back to coach (well, not really but you get my point)

twa902

HlywdCatft

Sat Dec 15, 2001 11:20 am

Who cares how people dress in first class. Just be sure you SHOWER beforehand. I paid for the ticket, I'm gonna dress the way I feel. I wear T-shirts and jeans all the time when I am not at work. I have to wear shirts and ties the rest of the week working, why should I have to when I'm not. If I'm flying on non business I don't want to dress up in a shirt and tie, I want to be comfortable. I could careless if I offend Mr. Businessman across the aisle from me. As long as I have showered and as Andreas put it not wearing a T-shirt with a swastica on it, he has no reason to be offended. The only kind of shirt that I would frown on maybe is a tank top/muscle shirt, but a t-shirt or a hockey/football jersey no one should be offended by. Most likely that guy paid more money for his hockey or football jersey than the businessman paid for his shirt and tie combined.

fly_emirates

Sat Dec 15, 2001 11:25 am

regardless what i said about passengers, but i would like to be presentable with good attitude, but not with a suit and stuff...

blink182

Sat Dec 15, 2001 2:10 pm

As long as you are presentable, its all fine with me. Do I think wearing a tank top with a pair of athletic shorts is fine? No.
I wear khaki shorts,cargoes and jeans on planes all the time(keep in mind the age difference, I am still a student).
As long as you don't look like a complete slob and stuff and you SHOWER so you don't smell bad, i think its okay to dress down a little bit.
rgds,
blink182
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

Goldenshield

Sat Dec 15, 2001 2:40 pm

Remember, first class is a privilage, not a right.
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

Milesdependent

Sat Dec 15, 2001 4:41 pm

I don't believe many people would turn up to a nice restaurant in shorts and a t-shirt. Same should apply to first class. You don't have to wear a tuxido, but I think you should at least look "half-decent".

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos