747-fan
Topic Author

Are There PTV For Front Row Seats?

Fri Dec 14, 2001 10:20 am

This question may sound stupid, but does anyone really know or has anyone sat in such seats?

I mean, for front row seats in economy, eg emergency exit locations, do the passengers get PTV? Do the tray tables fold into the armrest or what?

Also: How do u get from T3 to T2 at Heathrow?

Thankss!!

bkkair

RE: Are There PTV For Front Row Seats?

Fri Dec 14, 2001 10:24 am

Yes. The PTV's on the exit row or bulkhead pull up from the armrest. All economy pax have PTV's ( on PTV equipped a/c)

krisworldB777

Fri Dec 14, 2001 10:25 am

I've sat in the bulkheads frequently. The armrest is usually mounted on an arm like in Business Class although it doesn't fold into the armrest. Instead, it folds parallel to the armrest so it is out of the way. There is usually a button on the armrest to release the screen.

I've also seen airlines mount the screens on the bulkead but this is rare and is an unfavourable option because it is so far away. The armrest is fixed like on aircraft without PTVs and yes it does still have the meal tray that folds into the armrest.

747-fan
Topic Author

Fri Dec 14, 2001 10:29 am

Thanks!

I forgot to add the carrier i'll be flying is SQ.

krisworldB777

Fri Dec 14, 2001 10:37 am

SQ will certainly have the armrest-mounted type.

Skystar

Fri Dec 14, 2001 2:19 pm

On SQ,

The PTV is on an arm, and will fold down under the seat.

Cheers,

Justin

Captain.MD-11

Fri Dec 14, 2001 8:11 pm

With UA on an older 777 we had bulk-head mounted T.V.'s but on the way back, my parents who were sitting on the front row of economy had arm rest P.T.V's.
Twins,twins, everywhere.... but where are the three holers?

9V-SPF

Fri Dec 14, 2001 8:19 pm

Correct, there are definitely PTV´s for all passengers on SIA (except on the A310).
I sat at the bulkhead (row 39) on SQ026 (FRA-JFK) in April and it was very comfortable.

Regards,
Daniel

Braniff Place

Fri Dec 14, 2001 8:33 pm

Not only are most bulkhead seats independant with their PTVs amenities such as the THAI or SQ Y class footrest on the independant bulkhead seats fold out of the seat instead of dropping down form the seat infront, yet another Club Class-like concept.
BRANIFF PLACE

krisworldB777

Fri Dec 14, 2001 8:51 pm

Braniff, I can confirm that on SQ the bulkhead seats do miss out on the footrest unfortunately however TG 773 seats are equipped making them even more attractive. What is more however is that when NZ first introduced their upgraded Y, they had the seat-mounted footrests in all seats. Unfortunately, the last time I flew they had disappeared. Very brittle I suppose.

Braniff Place

Fri Dec 14, 2001 9:04 pm

KrisworldB777 thankyou very much for your information i really do appreciate it.

Really? What a shame AirNz has chosen to dispose of this fantastic seat, well i guess it was for for the best it does look rather brittle doesnt it? I would be the dream seat if there was a armrest mounted PTV with the deal it would make it totally unbeatable wouldnt it... but i must say i dont really like the fabric and plastic moulding colour.
Thanks again KrisworldB777!!!!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
BRANIFF PLACE

Skystar

Fri Dec 14, 2001 9:07 pm

BRANIFF PLACE,

Note that that seat is a bulkhead row seat. Most seats only have the folddown footrest from the rear.

I'll be flying on NZ in a week, so I'll see. I've always considered footrests to be a given on a mainline jet.

Cheers,

Justin

Fri Dec 14, 2001 9:11 pm

Last year I flew AKL per on NZ 763 (the lastet delivered plane)
It had economy footrests great!
and thankfully no PTV! They take up heaps of room ie decreaseing seatpitch

star_world

Sat Dec 15, 2001 12:52 am

...and to get from T3 to T2 at LHR:

If you're arriving in T3, follow the signs for Flight Connections before you get into the arrivals hall, this will take you on a shuttle bus to a centralised connection point with transfer desks for most of the airlines. From there, you can take a walkway to T2 airside.

Alternatively, follow the normal arrivals signs in T3, this will take you to the arrivals hall. Directly ahead of you will be stairs and an escalator going down, with signs marked Underground, Terminal 1 and Terminal 2. Follow this pathway and you will see signs for T2, it's about a 10 minute walk.

star_world

Sat Dec 15, 2001 2:29 am

If you fly with Virgin you get a bigger screen if you sit in the front row and you can also move the screen to a position tghat is comfortable for you.

mikeymike

Sat Dec 15, 2001 4:01 am

Bulkhead mounted PTV's are not SOOO far away. They are only 35" to 36" offset from the front part of the seat back to the aft face of the monument/bulkhead. When a passenger sits in the seat, your eye-level dimension is more like 25" away. The monument mounted PTV's tend to be one or 2 sizes larger than seat back monitors because of this distance. Most seat back PTV's are 6.5" monitors, usually bulkhead monitors are 8.6" or 10.6" monitors. Further with in-arm video not only do they take away from personal space, but ergonomic studies suggest that if you have to crook your neck at at 65 degee down angle for very long flights, you main geet neck soreness. When looking forward to a bulkhead monitor you can lie back in the reclined seat and keep your eyes/neck at a normal viewing angle and waterline (level).

airnewzealand

Sun Dec 16, 2001 2:23 pm

AirNZ still have those seats! They didnot dispose of them! Who told you that??

Cheers
mikey

docpepz

Sun Dec 16, 2001 2:26 pm

When i flew SIN-MEL on an SQ 744 in late April, I was happy to get row 31 in Y class, the very first row of economy. However, to my horror, there was a mother with a basonet(I'm sorry, i kinda forgot how to spell the word) which spanned three seats, in front of us. I hated it as it was almost impossible to watch anything on a PTV that was barely above my knee! That was HORRIBLE! and with the basonet, the leg space isn't all that fantastic after all................