Pacific
Topic Author

The Jet Stream And Delays

Fri Dec 14, 2001 10:23 pm

My Geography textbook says that there has to be a jetstream blowing eastwards at 240mph for tornadoes to form.
I'm wondering because such winds should throw transcontinental air traffic into a mess as there would be serious delays on the west coast. Are there times when all westbound transcons become seriously delayed?

Pacific

AlaskaMVP

RE: The Jet Stream And Delays

Sat Dec 15, 2001 7:44 am

Hmm, I don't know the exact answer to your question, but I just came back from Japan, flying Seattle to Tokyo (Narita) and back on a UAL 777 (wonderful flight and crew).

The flight over had a headwind that hit 175 MPH at one point, it took us about 11 hours. The flight back had a tailwind that hit 225 MPH briefly, and we landed after about 7 & 1/2 hours. So I don't know if the jetstream ever leads to delays on transcontinental flights, but certainly makes quite a bit of difference in time! Note how transcon non-stops are always an hour longer in one direction (traveling west I believe)...