ILS
Topic Author

Sad To See Your Babies In The Desert

Sat Dec 15, 2001 2:21 pm

I just came across this shot:

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Brian Stevenson - Orlando/Tampa Aviation Photography

I just finished crying.  Sad This photo contains the two aircraft that I love the most, in the Mojave frying to death, probably never to fly again. May the mighty CO DC-10-30s rest in peace!

Alitalia744

RE: Sad To See Your Babies In The Desert

Sat Dec 15, 2001 3:17 pm

It's interesting to note that CO MD-82.

That plane has the "Beaver" flat tail cone, indicating it is newer than those that contain the old "cone." Why did CO chose to park that one as opposed to some others?

Am I wrong?
Some see lines, others see between the lines.

justplanesmart

Sat Dec 15, 2001 4:35 pm

The newer tail cone on the MD-80 does not necessarily mean that it is a newer plane, as it could have been a replacement for the original. I believe that Alaska refitted all their MD-80's with the flattened cone, including all those from Jet America.
"So many planes; so little time..."

Captain.MD-11

Sat Dec 15, 2001 10:45 pm

Ditto ILS.  Crying
Twins,twins, everywhere.... but where are the three holers?

sccutler

They May Fly Again...

Sun Dec 16, 2001 1:36 am

...jets are sent to the desert because (1) there is plenty of relatively inexpensive space for parking, and [more importantly] (2) Because the desert environment is least harsh on aircraft while parked. Granted, it gets very hot, but (more importantly) it is very dry, which means there will be less corrosion, etc.

Note also that the aircraft have had substantial measures (well-covered windows, tight caps over engines, etc.) taken to protect them from the elements pending potential next use. It's when you see a plane parked, with no covers and no apparent efforts at preservation, that you need to sound the death knell. The first and best clue that a plane's bound for Budweiser duty is the immediate removal of all engines, avionics and the APU.

The desert storage facilities take measures to preserve the operational capabilities of aircraft stored (as directed by the stored aircraft's owners).

Many of these aircraft with meaningful economic life left in them may well fly again. Let us hope it will be sooner, rather than later.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

CX747

RE: They May Fly Again...

Sun Dec 16, 2001 1:50 am

I would certainly hoped that these aircraft do get a "second" chance to contribute to an airlines bottom line. I wouldn't expect them to rejoin their previous airline though. CO is in the process of reducing their MD-80 fleet as the new workhorse 737-700/800/900s arrive.
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." D. Eisenhower

brains

Mon Dec 17, 2001 2:52 am

I love the CO DC-10's. Also, I too was a little surprised to see the CO MD-83 among the older DC-9 and DC-10 A/C.
Brains

United_fan

Mon Dec 17, 2001 12:45 pm

I was at Mojave last Sunday and the road that goes down near these planes is CLOSED! It wasn't in Sep when I was there - wonder why? I wanted to get a pic of those Ex-TrumpShuttle/USAirways Shuttle 727's that were being scrapped

Click for large version

Photo © Alan Radecki

Click for large version

Photo © Alan Radecki

Click for large version

Photo © Alan Radecki

Champagne For My Real Friends,and Real Pain For My Sham Friends

PacificFlyer

Mon Dec 17, 2001 1:44 pm

How come i don't see anybody talk about the colourful Hawaiian planes in the foregrond but rather than Continental's which are at the back...but that's perfectly fine. I'm just curious!