Aircanada
Topic Author

Question For Flight Attendants

Tue Dec 18, 2001 7:52 am

Hello,

If you are a flight attendant and have a second, I'd appreciate it is you could answer a question for me. I'm doing some research and your help is appreciated.

When you go through training, you have to perform several physical tests like evacuating an aircraft. Could anyone give me a list of what all these tests are? e.g. Evacuate an aircraft on fire, put out a fire, etc.

Thanks a lot!

Andrew.

exusair

RE: Question For Flight Attendants

Tue Dec 18, 2001 12:48 pm

Several weeks of training are involved. You are instructed on the worst case scenarios. They teach you how to crash and burn, but neglect to teach you how to perform a meal service!

There are cabin mock ups that are used for training. You are taught 'commands' (scream and shout) such as 'BRACE! BRACE!' as well as several others.

The mock ups are outfitted just like a cabin of an airliner. Special affects such as smoke machines and tape players add to the drama.

You are also brought into a pool and learn how to ditch. Climb into a raft unassisted from the poll, and set up the life raft (they have a roof and a sea anchor.)

Perhaps the most important part is CPR training. Your chances of using first aid and CPR are far greater than evacuating an aircraft.

You are trained on all of the a/c that your carrier flys. There are facsimiles of the doors and you are taught to open them both normally and in an emergency.

You are tested on the use of emergency equipment such as oxygen bottles, fire extinguishers and the like. You are tested on your proficiency in opening a/c doors in normal and emergency modes. You are tested on first aid and emergency procedures.

You have to requalify annually (recurrent training) to keep your qualifications.

lmml 14/32

Tue Dec 18, 2001 7:17 pm

And you have to repeat this every year (not all subjects) to stay current

aussiestu

Wed Dec 19, 2001 2:48 am

Also ditching drills, land evac drills, fire drills, nosewheel failure drills, complete undercarriage failure drills. You name it the airline will drill it.

And yes we review and do it all again every year!