CV990
Topic Author

Flights On Christmas Day!

Tue Dec 18, 2001 11:15 pm

Hi!

Now that we're so close to this big and great event I recall my times when I was a teenager and work in catering service at Lisbon Airport. Christmas day was always a very boring day, and there was always some domestic flights that day, normally we would have an early flight that day from Lisbon to Azores, another do Madeira and that was it, people could still try to have Christmas lunch in the islands, but with a lot of teams to work that day a kind of lotery had to be donne, only one catering crew would fit, only 2 flights!!! I remember at least once I got the "prize" of staying there in the morning, we had to work on a TAP B. 727-082 to Azores, we did it really fast and we still had some time to chat with the crew, we knew that it was our work and they would miss the lunch that special day, but at the same time they knew that some people will get the chance to be around the table by lunch time! After we finnished the work we came back to our headquarters and the supervisor gaves the chance to go home, the flight wiould arrive late afternoon and another catering crew will be there waiting to get the work donne.
Good memories on that special day. Now that I live in the south of Portugal sometimes in the night of Christmas Eve I look to the sky and I still see at 9:00 or 10:00 pm flights passing over Portugal and I imagine how people will be in the plane at that time, trying to arrive on time at the airport and still have the Christmas Eve supper with their families, this of course with crews included.
Christmas time is always very special and magic to me even with 40 years old!
regards
CV990, the Maserati of the skies!

AC_A340

RE: Flights On Christmas Day!

Wed Dec 19, 2001 12:47 am

I wonder what most loads are like on Christmas Day. I know if you fly on the actual day (25th) the fare is usually cheaper.

RE: Flights On Christmas Day!

Wed Dec 19, 2001 1:40 am

AC A340... probably depends.
Last year I flew STR-CDG-EZE on the 25th. First of all the flight was very expensive. I had to pay an expensive full fare coach.
The flight was pretty much full. It was a 777.

The pilots were cool. When I was in the cockpit they switched on some switch and the whole cockpit was full of red and green lights on the switches. "It's Christmas", the pilot said.
That was really cool.

Rgds,
B737-700

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos