keesje

BA Business Class, Crampy?

Wed Dec 19, 2001 2:30 am

BA Business class

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Aristide Nosenzo

Backward facing seats, those big flaps hindering free out look, narrow legroom, 1.85 m short beds. On their site, I saw they have 8 abreast on 777...

Must be relative crampy in business, specially window seat upperdeck (low ceiling). How can a FA put anything in front of a passenger ?

"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

aussiestu

RE: BA Business Class, Crampy?

Wed Dec 19, 2001 2:56 am

Cramped????? Not in the least and the upper deck is the best place to be. 2x2 upper deck and the widest aisles around. Only 20 pax max.....2 crew.

Main deck is 2x4x2 and certainly is not crameped. The window seats are rear facing and have or appear to have more space.

Its a bed which is what most people want. Its private as the divider stops you from having to look at the other person but hey if you want to chat or converse then push it back and have this wide space between you. Its been a major development over the classic business class seat and look how others are copying.

keesje

Thu Dec 20, 2001 6:46 pm

"Its been a major development over the classic business class seat and look how others are copying"

I think nobody is copying the BA rearward facing concept. SQ, CX, VS and others go the forward facing two seater way. Angled but flat sleeping surface.

BA should also have done this I guess, perhaps a bit too innovative to be handy ...

flyer0001

Fri Dec 21, 2001 5:17 am

I recently flew BA Club World from LHR to SFO with my wife.
We had the upper deck seats and I would say the seats are great. There is no cramped feeling what so ever. Actually I would prefer the upper deck as there are very few seats there.
The beds are comfortable and the rear-facing seats are perfect when a couple is traveling as you can have a face to face conversation.
I usually travel BA First or Club World and this was the first time I got the new flat bed seats. I don't think I will travel First with BA again. Club World is just fine.

keesje

Fri Dec 21, 2001 5:58 pm

Ouch Flyer0001,

I think BA won't be too happy with your last statement ..

Perhaps your and Aussiestu's statement about the upperdeck has more to do with service ; more crew per passenger could mean more attention and less hurry ..

regards

hkg_clk

Fri Dec 21, 2001 6:17 pm

BA's new Club World is really innovative, but I do think that perhaps the fact that some seats are rear facing, and the fact that they are arranged 2-4-2 abreast may put some people off. But I've heard many people praise the comfort of these seats. So don't worry!
See my homepage for a comprehensive guide to spotting and photography at HKG

keesje

BA Business Class, Improved?

Sat Jan 05, 2002 12:19 am

Looks like some things are different on this seat compared to the others. The divider is totaly different and I see light leather on the seatback.

Click for large version

Photo © Steve Hall

Click for large version

Photo © Aristide Nosenzo

Are there more differences ? Why change the seat, I thought it was OK.

Greg

Sat Jan 05, 2002 12:31 am

I have a dissenting opinion. I much prefer the older cradle seats. I don't like facing strangers, and the privacy fan is pretty annoying (if you have any seat OTHER than the window seat, the view is almost totally obstructed). Also, the seat is a bit hard and the controls complicated.

The service, however, has always been first rate!

They don't have it installed on the IAH-LGW run...my experiences (only twice) have all been JFK-LHR and return.

aa61hvy

Sat Jan 05, 2002 3:24 am

i took a BA 747 BOM-LHR and it was sorta cramped in business, i mean ive been in worse (ie: AA coach) but i have been in better (ie: CX business)
Go big or go home

aamd11

Sat Jan 05, 2002 7:48 am

There are the differences in BA business for one main reason....
The original split fan design for privacy was a nuisance apparantly... it was hard for the crew to do something so they made it a funny chinese like fan.... and the newer club is a lot more attractive than the origianl... the newer with more colour seems to look better... and i dont find it crampy at all....

Skystar

Sat Jan 05, 2002 11:18 am

It looks nice, however the actual seat looks narrow for a business class.

The seat looks little wider than an economy class seat. Although I can't see the whole aisle - the aisle looks quite wide - wasted space?

Cheers,

Justin

fly_emirates

Sat Jan 05, 2002 11:55 am

hmmm, i dont know if i like it or not..
strange..

aussiestu

Sat Jan 05, 2002 5:06 pm

Skystar (Justin)

The new cradle seat is an inch wider than the cradle seat. It may appear smaller but is not. Wider aisles upstairs may be a waste of space but it does not appear that it could be arranged any other way. I think its great.

airpearl

Sat Jan 05, 2002 5:20 pm

I had the same reservations when I saw pics of BA's new Club World - but I tried it for the first time a couple of days ago between London and Singapore.. and they are wonderful! Nothing beats flying flat out and getting a good 8 hours' uninterrupted sleep on board. Choose the window seats in the upper deck - they are far more 'private'.

B747-4U3

Sat Jan 05, 2002 9:01 pm

I think the new BA Business class seats are Brilliant. I don't care about facing strangers or the seats not being private because I will be sleeping for most of the flight anyway. I think these new seats are excellent, a huge improvement on the previous cradle seats.

SR 103

Sat Jan 05, 2002 9:41 pm

A couple of months ago I flew the craddle seat from BOM-LHR, then 3 hours later I was in the new Club World seat on LHR-ORD. I can notice the difference and it was spectacular, the new seats are comfortable and definately a step up from before. Though 3 weeks ago I expericenced the new Cathay Pacific Business Class seats and I have to say, I prefer CX.

SR 103  Smile/happy/getting dizzy  Smile/happy/getting dizzy  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

keesje

RE: BA Business Class, Improved?

Thu Jan 10, 2002 6:56 pm

Does anyone know on which Middle East destinations can I book the new BA business class sleeper seat ? Is it only Dubai (777) or also other destinations ?

thnx

Keesje

Marco

Thu Jan 10, 2002 7:20 pm

None of the Middle East destinations will be getting four class aircraft anytime soon.
Proud to be an Assyrian!

TF-FIW

Thu Jan 10, 2002 9:25 pm

Keesje
Since January BA does offer CAI and DXB in a four-cls configuration,
hope this helps
Brgds
Ol

Marco

Thu Jan 10, 2002 10:18 pm

My mistake, BA does use a four class aircraft to Dubai however it's used on flight 108/109 which is only four times a week, and not daily.

09:15 13:25 DXB LHR BA 0108 BA 772
20:35 07:25 LHR DXB BA 0109 BA 772
Proud to be an Assyrian!

keesje

Thu Jan 10, 2002 11:42 pm

TF-FIW, Marco, thnx for info.

regards Keesje

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos