BA
Topic Author

Hartford, CT - Unpopular With Airlines?

Wed Dec 19, 2001 7:28 am

I have noticed that this airport has lost quite a bit of destinations, especially since 9/11.

Why exactly is Hartford, CT unpopular? I would think that it could support a good amount of domestic service to several places throughout the US.

For example, the ONLY city that United dropped from Denver as a result of 9/11 was Hartford, the rest of the reductions were just reductions in frequency.

I have also read many articles of airlines dropping and reducing service in Hartford.

The same goes with Little Rock, AK. For example, United dropped ORD-LIT service completely.

Anyone have any ideas why these 2 cities have be reduced significantly?

Regards.
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

afitch7881

RE: Hartford, CT - Unpopular With Airlines?

Wed Dec 19, 2001 7:36 am

Flights into Hartford that were canceled were primarily to secondary hubs from the Northeast. SFO, DEN, LAX, PHX, LAS, IAH were all axed. PHX I asume will be back come spring time because the BDL-PHX market is very popular and could use at least 2 daily non stops. Look at PVD, BDL had more demand and SW uses 2 daily 737's on that route. Midway, which had 6 daily non stops to RDU also hurt because they cut services completly. Flights into IAD on UA were cut from 4 daily mainline to 1 daily and 4 CRJ's. Rumors have it that AA will restart the LAX non stop in spring, and UA will start back to pre 9-11 with flights to SFO, ORD and IAD all on mainline and no express. DEN will be back probably as a seasonal. I figure HP will put LAS as a seasonal at least, demand is also high there but the yeild is not where they want it to be.

I expect SW to add some frequency to BDL if DL or HP doesnt add flights they had dropped. PHX and lAS could become SW cities in the future if they are not added back with HP, and Florida flights are always full from BDL. As it is, Delta has added back frequency to TPA, FLL and PBI since reducing those flights from 3 daily to 2 daily. They will be back to pre 9-11 levels.

Eric

deltairlines

Wed Dec 19, 2001 8:25 am

I wouldn't call Delta hurting at BDL. Currently, they have 6x service to ATL, with 4 on 757 and 2 on 763, on top of 2x 757 and 1x M88 service to CVG and DLX to MCO, FLL, TPA, and PBI. Delta has a total of 22 flights a day into BDL, not that bad I would say.

Jeff

MAH4546

Wed Dec 19, 2001 8:55 am

AA's BDL-LAX flights are seasonal in the first place.
a.

afitch7881

Wed Dec 19, 2001 9:40 am

Mah4546-

AA started seasonal BDL-LAX back in the mid 90's which went to year round service for a couple years until September. There was not going to be a stop of service if it wasnt for 9-11, it was operational for over a year and a half non stop.

Eric

ROSWELL41

Wed Dec 19, 2001 10:30 am

Maybe Delta will start service to DFW from BDL, that would be competition for AA. Or, if we should be so lucky, transatlantic service.

spinkid

Wed Dec 19, 2001 1:40 pm

One problem with Hartford is that it's located just about halfway between Boston and New York, people are very used to having to either connect or drive to Boston or New York for a non stop.

The America West flight to LAS was cut before 9-11

afitch7881

Wed Dec 19, 2001 5:21 pm

Anyone that lives within the BDL service area wont go to BOS or JFK for flights unless it is a ton cheaper, so airlines wont consider that in making schedules. The LAS flight was axed prior to 9-11, you are right, the yeilds were very low on that flight, like all flights into LAS, the loads were full. Delta to DFW could work possibly, however DFW needs to add more service out west. A SAN flight would be ideal, but who would fly that route? SW could possibly but they have yet to fly trans continental. O & D to SAN from BDL is over 250 most quarters.

Eric

Boeing757/767

Wed Dec 19, 2001 10:10 pm

I wouldn't say Hartford is unpopular -- it's the kind of airport where services were cut the most -- the medium-sized airport.

The loads are picking up, a new terminal is under way, etc. I think things will bounce back fairly soon. I do wish HP would bring back PHX and that CO could resume IAH service.
Free-thinking, left-leaning secularist

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos