MSYtristar
Topic Author

Qantas Or United To Sydney?

Wed Dec 19, 2001 10:41 am

I may be fortunate enough to visit Australia upon my graduation in two months, so I was wondering what is the better airline to take to Sydney....QF or UA? I will be flying out of New Orleans, so a connection in LAX or SFO would be required. I have never been on a 747, so I'm excited regardless of the airline. I have a feeling that QF would be a better choice. Your opinions and insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Stephen in New Orleans

airnewzealand

RE: Qantas Or United To Sydney?

Wed Dec 19, 2001 10:53 am

How bout AirNZ?? They have the best Economy and Flight attendants on this route..(THough QF can be close in FA's!!)

They have a direct flight to SYD....arriving in the morning SYD time.

But if you really want to choose from those two, then QF is the better, in my opinion!! All though i have only compared them on the AKL-MEL route....it was QF who topped it off!!

Cheers
mikey

Wed Dec 19, 2001 10:54 am

Stephen,

I have flown SYD-LAX countless times, with NZ, QF & UA. However only in biz, so I can't comment on the back of the bus.

All three airlines in biz were fine, with NZ having the upper hand in the service stake and UA/QF being more modern.

From reading many trip reports I would have to suggest that NZ as having the best economy product - but if you want PTV's I beleive UA has them fitted on some of the 744's.

Now, if you like a few drinks (alcohol) then go with QF or NZ as both airlines are happy to ply you with alcohol.

Cheers,

mb

sccutler

Wed Dec 19, 2001 11:13 am

I tout AirNZ, but I'm a little bit piqued with them over the whole Ansett thing. If you're flying economy, NZ's the hot ticket.

It is de rigeur to hold out QF as the flawless paragon of airline virtue (see, Rainman), but some frequent commuters 'twixt Oz and US with whom I've been acquainted (and they're Australian) prefer U.

Bottom line: all three are fine carriers.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

Superfly

Wed Dec 19, 2001 11:16 am

QUANTAS!

Haven't you seen the movie Rain Man? Big grin

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Glenn Alderton

Seriously though, when I fly to another country I prefer to fly that country's national carrier to get the full in your case 'Aussie experience'. You can fly United anywhare anytime here in the US.
How many opportunites will you have flying to Sydney?

Click for large version

Photo © Frank Schaefer

Bring back the Concorde

Superfly

Wed Dec 19, 2001 11:18 am

Ooooops! Embarrassment

Sorry for the typo! Embarrassment

I meant Qantas!  Smile
Bring back the Concorde

kaitakfan

Wed Dec 19, 2001 11:24 am

Hahaha good correction superfly! I was about to say...
Anyways I dont think UAL has PTVs in Economy class yet. Everytime I fly down to SYD its in Biz class and I have never once seen PTVs in Y class when I take a walk down the aisle's mid flight. Although I am a die hard UAL fan and fly them all the time non-rev, I will say fly ANZ... I really enjoyed their seats on the 747-400! Have fun and drink heaps of VB while your there!

Cheers!
Brian

Cap'n Dan

Wed Dec 19, 2001 11:31 am

I flew UA LAX-SYD in Biz, and SYD-LAX in Econ back in 1997. I was not particularly impressed with either. Business class was not much better than domestic biz (i.e. no ptvs, poor recline), and econ was, well, pretty standard. FAs were rude and bitchy. I can't speak for Qantas, though...

Murf

Wed Dec 19, 2001 11:33 am

good quick save superfly, There's people on this forum who'll tear you a new asshole for mis-spelling qantas.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

I like UA and Air NZ. Air NZ's coach seats have foot rests too. An added bonus

murf

Superfly

Wed Dec 19, 2001 12:14 pm

Thanks for the warning guys!

I better thank my lucky stars!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Bring back the Concorde

IMissPiedmont

RE: Superfly

Wed Dec 19, 2001 12:30 pm

There is no U in Qantas! Sorry, just had to do it.

I do agree with you. I always fly the national carrier when I vist another country. Not just for the cultural experience. To me, it is a matter of politeness. I also don't go to McDonalds or Burger King in another country. This is not being polite, I just hate them both.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

OzarkD9S

Wed Dec 19, 2001 12:43 pm

Qantas gets my vote
Next up: STL-OAK-RNO-LAS-ICT-STL

MAH4546

Wed Dec 19, 2001 12:48 pm

UA does not have PTVs on thier 744s and I don't think we'll be seeing them anytime soon. However, if you fly Qantas, some of thier 744s (and eventually all, but right now a very small number) have PTVs. Don't know about AirNZ.
a.

aerorobnz

Wed Dec 19, 2001 12:49 pm

KaiTakfan,
I didn't think that many NSWers drank VB (Victoria Bitter)...thought it was more of the Tooheys/Fosters state... Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

Superfly

Wed Dec 19, 2001 1:03 pm

Don't worry about PTVs.
They are over-rated anyway. There is less legroom with a PTV anyway because of the mechanism below the seat in front of you.
Bring back the Concorde

Crosscheck

Wed Dec 19, 2001 1:03 pm

Qantas only has PTV's fitted on 2 747-400's at this stage, with a third due online January 2002. VH-OJR is one of the aircraft fitted with PTV's, and this aircraft is config'd for Pacific flying, and often operates the SYD-LAX sector. VH-0JE and soon to be VH-OJC are both config'd for European operations, and are unlikely to be seen in the USA. My suggestion is to fly Qantas.

ILUV767

Wed Dec 19, 2001 1:11 pm

Mah4545 wrote:
UA does not have PTVs on thier 744s and I don't think we'll be seeing them anytime soon. However, if you fly Qantas, some of thier 744s (and eventually all, but right now a very small number) have PTVs. Don't know about AirNZ.

Actually, all of UA's 747s have PTVs...just not in coach. I know, its sad, but, it is an evening flight, and most passengers choose to sleep when flying south. All of the business class seats, as well as flight suites have PTVs.

United features Economy Plus giving passengers additional room.

I L U V 7 6 7

kaitakfan

Wed Dec 19, 2001 5:26 pm

Well Aero... I know that VB is all over Australia on tap and not to many other beers can claim to that! But fosters... hmm dont think anyone drinks fosters down there! only seen it happen once!! VB all the way!

Mr.BA

Wed Dec 19, 2001 9:45 pm

I have never flown UAL so I guess I am in no position to compare Qantas and UAL. Flew Qantas before and I must say they are excellent. Give Qantas a try. I think no matter what flight you choose, you will still feel good........................... because you are flying in a B747-400!  Smile

Not to forget a trip report for us!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

alvin
Boeing747 万岁!

trentis

Wed Dec 19, 2001 10:24 pm

For service in Y I'd definitely recommend NZ across the Pacific

B20XX

Wed Dec 19, 2001 11:50 pm

I flew UA twice to SYD, once in Y on once in Y+. The extra few inches in economy plus make a lot of difference on a 14-15 hours flight. Anbody knows the seat pitch on QF or NZ?
BTW, I've never seen PTVs on UA 744.

JAL

Wed Dec 19, 2001 11:51 pm

Qantas.

Click for large version

Photo © Marlo Plate

Work Hard But Play Harder

e7plnr

Thu Dec 20, 2001 12:19 am

Have flown both UA and QF LAX-SYD during the last two years.
Both have similar service in Y.
I would have to agree with the analogy of flying with the National airline. It's just a better experience!

Fly QF!!!!!

travelin man

Thu Dec 20, 2001 2:00 am

Well, I haven't flown either airline between LAX-SYD (actually I've never been to OZ). But I will be flying UA LAX-SYD in First in February, and QF domestically during that trip (SYD-CNS), so I'll post a report in March!

One thing to consider: If you sign up with the UA frequent flyer program, and take United (or NZ for that matter), you'll get about 15,000 frequent flyer miles, which is more than half-way towards a free domestic ticket in the US.

Alternately, if you are an AA flyer, I believe you get AA miles when flying Qantas (although I'm not sure about that).

Just something to think about: With which airline do you want the ff miles?

AJ

Thu Dec 20, 2001 7:14 am

I agree with the national airline angle.
In the past I've flown SQ to Singapore, TG to Thailand, VN to Viet Nam, QV to Laos, BA to the UK, KL to the Netherlands etc etc. It gives a wider perspective and a chance to experience and airline you can't fly from the US to anywhere else!

jupiter2

Thu Dec 20, 2001 7:34 am

Personally I would chose QF, but also remember that all the QF flights to Australia from the states are code shares with AA, so technically you could fly AA all the way.
Also on the beer front, nobody in Australia drinks Fosters, thats why they have to export it, its crap, drink VB or Tooheys New or Old.
RL

vafi88

Thu Dec 20, 2001 8:56 am

My friend went to Sydney on Monday. I say go with Qantas because that is an international airline and you'll get the Australian experience of flying. QANTAS all the way!!
I'd like to elect a president that has a Higher IQ than a retarted ant.

MSYtristar
Topic Author

Thu Dec 20, 2001 9:03 am

Thanks for the input everyone. If I do get the chance to go, Qantas will most likely be my airline of choice. They have some good connections out of MSY via LAX. Of course, I could do the AA code-share routing of MSY-DFW-LAX-SYD, but that would probably kill me lol.

Stephen in New Orleans

ben88

Thu Dec 20, 2001 9:05 am

It's not going to make much difference. It's going to be almost 15 hours of dark, cramped, agony no matter what airline you take, so pick the cheapest fare! Just remember to pop a couple of ambiens before you board in Los Angeles. Have a nice trip!

RMenon

Thu Dec 20, 2001 9:06 am

My 2 cents.

I have done SFO/LAX<->SYD/MEL many times on all 3 carriers.
If you are in Biz - take either QF, UA, NZ - not much difference.
If you are travelling in coach,
UA if you can get the Econ Plus seats.
If not, NZ is the best bet - clearly better than the other two in service.

aerorobnz

Thu Dec 20, 2001 11:05 am

Fly whichever airline flies New Orleans to LAX & then take Air Tahiti Nui from LAX....via PPT & AKL then fly onto SYD from AKL with QF on their AC 763s or on their own 742s/743s/744s... Smile/happy/getting dizzy

This would be the best option for me..I like takeoffs & landings & it offers a variety of plane types
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

USAFHummer

Thu Dec 20, 2001 11:51 am

MSY,

I took Air NZ from LAX-SYD-LAX in Y class this summer, and I highly enjoyed the flights. I can give you a completely unbiased opinion on Air NZ if you wish. Ironically it was also my first 747 flights too...

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

SegmentKing

Thu Dec 20, 2001 12:01 pm

go with united. You'll have enough miles for a one way north america upgrade when you get back.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Don't forget Economy Plus... you can't reserve it in advance unless you are a Premier, but you can always ask for it day of departure.

Good luck!

-nate
~ ~ ~ ~ pRoFeSsIoNaL hUrRiCaNe DoDgEr ~ ~ ~ ~

pilottim747

Thu Dec 20, 2001 12:59 pm

You've got to go QANTAS or Air NZ! Their service is way out of the league for Airlines in the U.S. Great food and nice legroom (34" on NZ). Between the two, however, I favor Air NZ but only slightly.
Aviation Photographers & Enthusiasts--Coordinate your life.

pblaketas

Thu Dec 20, 2001 2:28 pm

Tasmanian Premium beers are becoming very popular in the money. Both James Boag and Cascade are truly excellent beers, though about $5 a pop. James Boag was voted best beer in the world in Belgium for some big beer thing.

Marara

Thu Dec 20, 2001 7:06 pm

Nah, you mob stuff the beer, Bundy's the REAL THING !
 Big thumbs up

QF gets my vote with NZ a very close second  Big thumbs up
I like work: it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours. Jerome K Jerome

ryanb741

Thu Dec 20, 2001 7:34 pm

If QF have upgraded the 744 cabin on the flight you take then go with them, otherwise I recommend UA.
I used to think the brain is the most fascinating part of my body. But, hey, who is telling me that?

QANTASforever

Fri Dec 21, 2001 1:10 pm

Either one really. I agree with whoever said that it will be 14 hours of cramped dark agony whatever carrier you are on.
Personally, If i was going Y, I'd choose United premium economy (or whatever its called). Remember the reason you are coming here to Sydney is not for the flight, but the destination. I'd be thinking more about what I'm going to do when I get there. P.s: To all of you people in the northern hemisphere freezing your asses of right now: I just got back from the beach on this boiling hot day, sunburnt and relaxed while soaking up the humid 30 degree (Celcius not farenheight der) heat. And am about to go to dinner in wonderful outdoors restaurant on the harbour. Ah yes, this is the life.
Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

QantasAirways

Fri Dec 21, 2001 4:17 pm

Now, out of those choices, I would definately say QANTAS!!!!!

I would say that this is one chance to experience Qantas - as said, you can experience UAL when your in the US.

I would go with Qantas, I find the seats very comfortable and the flight attendants great!

You could try Air NZ also if you wish, as they practically are equal.

Regards
QantasAirways
Spirit of Australia

doug_or

Fri Dec 21, 2001 5:11 pm

never flew quantas, but between ANZ and UAL, definately ANZ, just make sure its not a UAL jet w/ a ANZ codeshare.
When in doubt, one B pump off

QANTASforever

Doug_or.........

Fri Dec 21, 2001 6:27 pm

This post was referring to three airlines, Qantas, United Airlines, and also Air New Zealand. I dont believe I have ever heared of an airline called quantas and I have no knowledge whatsoever if this airline does in fact fly from LAX-SYD. Could you please give me a web site, livery information, fleet information or anything at all about the mystery airline that americans seem to be always talking about.
Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

AlexG

Fri Dec 21, 2001 10:08 pm

Hi!

Last february, I was taken to Sydney on British Airways 744 (G-CIVZ, #28854) and went back to LHR on Qantas 744 (VH-OJF, #24483), both on most inexpensive economy class.

Aircraft:

G-CIVZ was BA's newest 747, I think, with PTVs, really great seats and about 89cm (thats 35 inches) seat to seat distance, resulting in the most legroom I ever have had on an airliner. Unfortunately, while adjusting the head rest, I suddenly had it in my hands, without using any kind of brute force... But it was easy to reattach...

Besides this, a really nice a/c, but I'm sure, things can be changed onboard a more older BA 747.

In comparsion, VH-OJF seemed to be a couple of years older. No PTV, a bit smaller legroom, older seats and - again - problems with parts becoming loose. Sitting on the window, I had quite a problem, since "my" inner window, together with the surrounding plastics parts, wouldn't want to stay in the wall and kept on trying to fall on my knees.

Since I'm studying mechanical engineering, it was a nice and welcome possibility to take a look onto the (damn cold) alloy frame, before remounting the window in its place.  Big grin

Laughter was on my side, when I offered to hand my window over to the people sitting along the aisle as doing so they could also enjoy sitting on a window seat...  Smile

May sounds dangerous, but I think, the plastics parts weren't just fixed the very right way after the last D check or any other passenger (kid?!?) was responsible for the error.

Real problems happened after take off, as we were starting to sight-see Sydney a second time in evening sunset light. After some cycling above Sydney, the captain admitted they have some problems with their radar equipment (which first "stuttered" and now turned off completely) and were discussing with Sydney tower what to do. We were told that they can't leave the continent without having the radar repaired the radar, but they try to have the repairs arranged for Darwin, to save preparation time.

At that time, we had to laugh loudly, since we came down from Darwin on an Ansett 733, just a few hours ago. That would be a whole day lost that we could have spent at Darwin with boarding QF001 there...  Smile

After about one hour cruising above northern Sydney suburbs, we finally dropped a "small amount of fuel" (like the captain called it and what meant 95.000 litres or kg, I can't remember) to get down to maximum landing weight and returned to Sydney, since the needed parts were not available at Darwin.

Two hours later, we moved again, after repairs and testing, what took very much time since pax seemed to be too dumb to stop mobile-phoning as announced several times by all the crew members during the radar equipment tests. Some information followed: An radar blackbox seemed to be damaged by the ground personnel on loading cargo and was now replaced.

During taxi to our departure runway we were told by the captain that he managed to get the fuel tanks filled up to the last drop and that we should prepare for an extra-ordinary high speed flight to catch up with the timetable. Since we were three and a half hours late, we were very interested what to come.

The take-off run was far away from high speed, since the 747 was full to the last seat, the long-time vacation baggage of all the pax, the cargo, the full fuel tanks and, I think, some extra cargo (mail?) added during repairs. Finally we got airborne, and soon after rotation, we were heading straight towards bangkok.

Over Australia, we permanently looked on the ground speed display which always remained between 1030 and 1095 kmph. Unfortunately, there wasn't any tail wind or air speed display, so we could not calculate our real speed.

After an 90 minutes stop in Bangkok, which could not be shortened as it seems, we finally reached LHR, being only about 60 minutes late.

Apart of the captains announcement of reduced speed due to strong head wind, our ground speed was again quite high, with a minimum of about 900 kmph near India and Nepal, but as generally known, there are very strong head winds in this area when flying west.

I remember always about 100 to 200 kmph flying this area several times with BA and Thai.

Does anyone know the real full-throttle-speed of an RR-powered 744?

Anyway, that one seemed to perform like a bird with burning tail feathers...

Food:

I think, kind of food always depends greatly on your departure airport, so you won't get kangaroo in shiraz sauce when flying towards Australia, no matter with which airline you are going. BA and QF both served chinese style food after leaving Bangkok on our route, but BA offered the greater variety to choose from. You could choose from different meals, including separate choice of desert and starters...

Quality of food itself was on comparable good level on both airliners. So Qantas was fine, too.

Flight Assistents:

Very friendly and "english" on BA, just great on Qantas.

Starting from "The magic security features dancing show", the very good information about all the problems with the radar, great patience even after the long repair time with pax getting very nervous and rude, etc.

Overall:

BA had the nicer aircraft, but that depends on luck, I think, since Qantas has newer, PTV-equipped 747 as well.

The thing with the window should not happen, but maybe it was an one-in-a-million-flights issue.

Remember, I got the BA 747 into parts, too. Maybe, it depends on my person that a/cs start to destruct.

The radar defect could affect every airline world wide (if the facts given by the captain were the truth) and was handled just fine by Qantas. They even arranged to let all further connection flights wait for us or booked new tickets for following flights.

Short, it really was fun to fly with Qantas.

--
Servus,
Alex

japanguy

Sat Dec 22, 2001 12:18 am

My vote is for Qantas. I took them to get to SYD and back 2 years ago and it was the softest landing I have ever had in a 747! It was very interesting that they played the movie Titanic during the flight. I don't think many people were interested in watching a movie about a ship sinking when you are 30,000+ feet above the pacific. Oh well.

Boeing777/747

Sat Dec 22, 2001 2:46 am

I think the best of the worse would be Qantas.

The flight is too long to enjoy.

QantasAirways

Sat Dec 22, 2001 10:52 am

Well said, Qantasforever,
I indeed would like some information about this airline "Quantas" also.

Mind you, last time I checked, www.quantas.com goes to qantas' website.

Regards
QantasAirways
Spirit of Australia

VirginA340

Sat Dec 22, 2001 2:15 pm

Qantas is the better airline. Don't waste your hard earned $$$$ on UAL. Qantas is way better in service.
"FUIMUS"