ord

AA Vs. DL: 737-800 Overhead Video Monitors

Fri Jul 30, 1999 10:40 pm

Why do American Airlines' 737-800s have the video monitors hanging from the center of the ceiling, while Delta's retract from under the overhead bins? Are there benefits to one over the other? Personally, I like the way Delta has them as it makes it easier to see the screen.

RE: AA Vs. DL: 737-800 Overhead Video Monitors

Sat Jul 31, 1999 11:35 am

You'll have to excuse American Airlines: they haven't caught up in technology.

Well, my favorite way of viewing a movie in-flight is the old-fashioned way: the movie screen. It's big and it is easier to see(at least for me).

The monitors are neat but not big.

dw

RE: AA Vs. DL: 737-800 Overhead Video Monitors

Sun Aug 01, 1999 2:39 pm

I think there are advantages and disadvantages to all three types of entertainment systems (main screen, aisle-mounted CRTs, and drop-down LCDs). I think Main Screen video can be the best-- if you get a good viewing angle. I was recently near the rear of a JAL business class section, and had trouble seeing the movie on the screen because of heads blocking the picture. On a separate flight I was in a center bulkhead seat in coach-- the screen was just too close and the brightness became annoying after awhile. On the other hand, the drop-down LCDs are neat, but I've discovered some problems with viewing angle. I was in the window seat of an A320, and because the cabin was fairly bright (we were watching some of UA's short subject programming, not a movie), it was difficult to see the picture.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos