NBC News1
Topic Author

AA Paris-Miami Diverted To Boston...Explosives

Sun Dec 23, 2001 7:29 am

Flight attendants had to subdue a man after they smelled the sulphur of a match and saw a wire coming out of his shoes.

FBI agents on the ground in Boston found there were enough explosives in his shoes to cause "extensive damage."

AA_717

RE: AA Paris-Miami Diverted To Boston...Explosives

Sun Dec 23, 2001 7:32 am

It was a passenger in the 29th row who had a UK Passport issues 3 weeks ago (believed to be fake). His name was Richard Ried.

It was a 767.

AA@STL

Sun Dec 23, 2001 7:38 am

That is so weird. It kind of makes me think, if he was going to do this..you'd think he would plan some way to get the bomb set off quiclky, instead of having to light a match.

Wouldn't he wait until the F/A's were far away before he tried to set it off. Then again, I don't know the details.

SInGAPORE_AIR

Sun Dec 23, 2001 7:41 am

Damn! I thought I had this first! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!

BBC ONLINE----
Flight diverts after explosives scare

An American Airlines plane has diverted to Boston after explosives were found in a passenger's shoe.
The aircraft was on a scheduled flight from Paris to Miami.

Tom Kinton, director of aviation at Boston's Logan airport said the crew on board had subdued the passenger and prevented "something serious" from happening.

He said that the passenger had attempted to ignite an "improvised explosive" in his footwear.

"I'm told the flight attendant was drawn to him by the smell of sulphur from a lit match, and then challenged him as to what he was doing," said Mr Kinton.

There were reports that the passenger became violent during the incident.

Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

AA@STL

Sun Dec 23, 2001 7:46 am

Boston Airport Webcam:

Go to Livewave.com and click on Logan Airport.

You'll see the plane right now surrounded by emergency vehicles.

Bruce

Sun Dec 23, 2001 2:48 pm

So far it appears that whatever was in his shoe did have some "explosive" powers. There's talk of "C4" which of course the airport screeners cannot detect.

and I heard one source describe the man as "arabic-looking". The name Richard Reid was the fake ID name.

The "evil-doers" may be on to something here. We may hear more of these kinds of stories and they may not all end so peacefully I'm afraid.

It is just simply impossible to screen a human for every possible type of substance that can harm. You simply cannot strip search people before they board.

I don't advocate Racial Profiling.....I'm sure you people know what that is....but in this "new war" situation I think you just have to. It's like a necessary evil. An Arabic-looking person who boards a plane with no checked baggage bound for America...with an English name...should raise some suspicion. if it means pissing off some good honest arabs, then "oh well". The enemy in this war is blending into the population...and profiling people may be the only way to weed them out.

Bruce Leibowitz - Jackson, MS (KJAN) - Canon 50D/100-400L IS lens

OzarkD9S

Sun Dec 23, 2001 2:52 pm

guess everyone will have to fly in the nude now (brrr)
Next up: STL-OAK-RNO-LAS-ICT-STL

serge

Sun Dec 23, 2001 3:16 pm

LOL at OzarkD9S's comment.. good one!  Big thumbs up

...Serge