Topic Author

? On US Air 767 Write-off @ PHL

Wed Dec 26, 2001 5:40 am

Season Greetings folks...
Just browsing thru Bill Harms' excellent website, and I noticed that a US Airways 767-2B7(ER) was 'written-off' in PHL on Sept 21th, 2000. Can someone please fill me in on what happened that day? The plane in question was registered N654US, serial #25225 & line #375. I can't recall anything happening to one of their 767s. Up until now I've thought US Air still had 12 767s. Any insight is appreciated. Thanks & regards.  Wink/being sarcastic
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." --Ben Franklin

RE:? On US Air 767 Write-off @ PHL

Wed Dec 26, 2001 5:48 am

The aircraft was getting an engine run (takeoff power) during overnight maintenance, and the engine came apart, and that and the ensuing fire caused quite a bit of damage.

I read elsewhere that one piece of the disk was found 1,200 feet from the aircraft, and that another piece (missing) was suspected to have gone into the river nearby...
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

RE:? On US Air 767 Write-off @ PHL

Wed Dec 26, 2001 5:50 am

The aircraft in question suffered an uncontained engine failure while on an engine test at PHL. There was much hand-wringing going on when Boeing and a few other contractors looked over the airframe for possible repair, but the damage was so severe that even Boeing's people said it made more sense to write off the aircraft entirely.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group