Games For Tranist Passengers At SIN

Fri Dec 28, 2001 2:43 pm

By Dean Visser
Associated Press Writer
Thursday, December 27, 2001; 12:45 PM

SINGAPORE –– Instead of "this is your final boarding call," passengers at Singapore's Changi International Airport may be hearing: "Is that your final answer?"

Changi, an airport known for its luxury and efficiency, has launched a new trivia "game show" for passengers to play while they wait.

Up to 30 passengers at a time sit at electronic consoles while a host shouts out number-based questions such as the weight of a certain type of airliner.

The players key in two numbers – a minimum and maximum – and win more points if they give the correct answer within the smallest range. Points are tallied at the end of a 10-question round, and the winner walks away with a voucher worth about $540 to be used at airport shops.

The Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore started "What's Your Range?" on Dec. 15 at a cost of $540,000.

"We noticed the worldwide revival of interest in game shows like 'Big Brother' and 'Survivor,' CAAS said in a statement. "At the same time, perennial favorites like 'Wheel of Fortune' and ('Who Wants to be a Millionaire?') were also receiving interest in new markets."

"Who Wants to be a Millionaire?" is wildly popular in Singapore; a local TV station airs a homegrown version of the game, which started in Britain. An American version became a runaway hit in the United States.

Changi International Airport, a major Asian air travel hub, is known its ritzy transit passenger facilities including an orchid garden, movie theater and swimming pool.

© 2001 The Associated Press

RE: Games For Tranist Passengers At SIN

Fri Dec 28, 2001 9:36 pm

Great Idea!

also another question.... does changi have a movie theatre? where is it located?

thanks for your help

Fri Dec 28, 2001 11:49 pm

Changi's Movie Theatrette is located above the Fern Garden, beside the Transit Hotel / Timezone Games Arcade at the Third Floor in Terminal 2.

Sat Dec 29, 2001 3:08 am

Changi must really be an awesome airport. SO many cool things they offer. And what a cool idea.

Sat Dec 29, 2001 7:57 am

The 'gameshow' was in development when I was there last and can be found in Terminal 1 to the left of the news channel TV's-with a nice view over the apron!!

you can't buy time but you can sell your soul and the closest thing to heaven is to rock'n'roll

I Was In The Gameshow Yesterday!

Sun Dec 30, 2001 2:04 pm

Whats your range?

20 people get asked 10 questions of which we have to enter in a min value and a max value and hope your answer falls in it.

Pity I sucked at it, even with 2 attempts, however, I got a postcard.

They have one in terminal 1 and 2. Runs ever hour or so in the afternoons. Good inititive, not much to the game however. Good thing its not on TV.

Geez I luv Changi Airport. Ands it so close to perth.