Tg 747-300
Topic Author

Why Did NWA Drop The "Orient" In Its Name?

Fri Dec 28, 2001 8:30 pm

I was wondring why NWA dropped Orient from its former Northwest Orient Airlines name?
Together ith UAL, NWA is the only US carrier with a big asian network, and since they are planing to use some A320 out of Tokyo also, I'll guess thet they're the biggest "forigen" carrier in the Asia and Pacific region.

So in my eyes, the name Orient suits the ailrine well.

the only thing that was bad with NWA Orient was the livery, the current is so much better.

tg 747-300
intentionally left blank

oxygen

RE: Why Did NWA Drop The "Orient" In Its Name?

Fri Dec 28, 2001 9:23 pm

They dropped it because they did not want people to think that their sercives are restricted only to the orient. They wanted their image to be more worldwide.

RyDawg82

Sat Dec 29, 2001 3:51 am

And I thought they only flew in the Northwest, dropping the orient sure made for a non restrictive image... Perhaps Worldwide Airlines would go for the image they wished....

Smart A$$ I know but sometimes logic isnt there....

Ry
You can take the pup out of Alaska, but you can't take the Alaska out of the pup.

Iflewrepublic

Sat Dec 29, 2001 4:16 am

The name changed occurred after the 1986 take over of Republic Airlines. Republic was solely a domestic carrier, with a few destinations to Canada, Mexico and the Carribbean. Prior to choosing a merger partner, Northwest was on the prowl for a partner that would greatly increase their domestic network, which in turn would help feed their overseas routes. Republic was the logical choice for this. When the two merged, Northwest was propelled from being the 7th largest airline to the 4th overnight. They dropped the word "Orient" to reflect the fact that they were now a megacarrier, both in the domestic and international arenas.

Any other questions, feel free to ask.

Iflewrepublic.
Aviation is proof that, given the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible.

A330_DTW

Sat Dec 29, 2001 7:45 am

Hey, I saw a "Southwest Airlines" jet at my airport, and I live in the Northeast! With a name like Southwest, shouldn't they just fly around Arizona, New Mexico and stuff?

delta-flyer

RE: Why Did NWA Drop The "Orient" In Its

Sat Dec 29, 2001 8:12 am

With a name like Southwest, shouldn't they just fly around Arizona....

Airlines with compass-point names only reflect the fact that they are based in that geographic area. Using the above logic, should British Airways only fly in Britain?

Did you know that TWA was originally known as Transcontinental and Western Airlines? They changed their name when they spread overseas, but kept their initials.

Cheers,
Pete
"In God we trust, everyone else bring data"

Dr.DTW

RE: Why Did NWA Drop The "Orient" In Its

Sat Dec 29, 2001 8:49 am

Wow...some sarcastic remarks here.

As was said before, Northwest Orient Airlines became Northwest Airlines in October of 1986, after the merger with Republic. This merger was not simply a small addition to NW Orient's existing route system. The combination of the two carriers made an entirely new airline. Republic was a relatively good sized airline, and the addition of its' route structure and hub system to Northwest Orient, made a new airline. A new livery with a new logo shortly followed. With an entirely new paint scheme and logo, the management could have chosen any name for the new carrier. Remember, the merger of Southern Airways with Northcentral Airlines in July of 1979 created "Republic." I really don't think Northwest Orient dropped the "Orient" from their name, but I think they simply chose "Northwest Airlines" as the name for this new carrier. This would make sense since "Northwest" was already a well established name in the industry. Just my two cents...

ContinentalEWR

Sat Dec 29, 2001 9:46 am

"Northwest" is hardly a worldly name either. Second, "Orient" was a term that fell out of use. You don't use the word "Oriental" you use "Asian".

ContinentalEWR

Av8trxx

Why "Orient" In The First Place?

Sat Dec 29, 2001 10:09 am

In 1926 they were Northwest Airways, then with the takeover of Northern Air Transport in 1934 they renamed themselves Northwest Airlines, then Northwest Orient. (an identity complex?)

Did that name change occur when they started their flights to Asia from Alaska in 1947 as a way to advertise??? Or was it later on?

PS-Republic also had Hughes Airwest in their lineage!

zrs70

Sat Dec 29, 2001 10:54 am

"Orient" was never an official part of the name, though all company matterial bore the logo. But the company, itself, was always just, "Northwest."
17 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2016