MEA-707
Topic Author

Fate Of Gabon Express; RIP Passenger Caravelle?

Mon Dec 31, 2001 12:38 am

Gabon Express is wellknown amongst some of us, because it's the final operator of passenger Caravelle flights. With a single SE-210 Caravelle jet and a few HS-748s/Andovers, they operated domestic and local flights in Gabon, mid/west Africa. They are featured in a very nice worldairroutes video and have special offers for airliner freaks who especially visit them to fly Caravelle. But recently their website www.gabonexpress.com has disappeared from the net, and also the guy who made the video informed me they stopped Caravelle service, now flying cargo around Kinshasa.
Does anyone here have more recent info on Gabon Express? Did they stop their domestic passenger network altogether or is only the Caravelle (temporary) substituted?
nobody has ever died from hard work, but why take the risk?

Jan Mogren

RE: Fate Of Gabon Express; RIP Passenger Caravelle?

Mon Dec 31, 2001 6:04 am

I just tried calling Bob, the owner, but to no avail.
/JM
AeroPresentation - Airline DVD's filmed in High Definition

Mon Dec 31, 2001 6:10 am

One of my colleagues saw Bob S a couple of weeks back - as far as I am aware they are still operating with the Andovers and the second Caravelle (the first was destroyed in the April 2000 ammo dump explosion).

Jan - Kiki should know where he is.

MEA-707
Topic Author

Mon Dec 31, 2001 12:31 pm

Ceilidh > You might be aware that I own the production lists website www.airlinerlist.com too... On behalf of that role, I wonder, wasn't the destroyed Caravelle you mentioned a series III 9Q-CZZ (c/n 105) owned by the Congolese Army? It would surprise me if this Avon engined airframe was linked to the Gabon Express operation, but you never know.
All reported operations -like on Jan's video- were performed with 3D-SEP (251), while 3D-CNA (240) was painted into Gabon Express colours but remained in Rand, South Africa. But any news about these airframes would be welcomed indeed, as I planned and wished to visit them in spring 2002, but it seems I'm too late. So I hope and wish you're right !
nobody has ever died from hard work, but why take the risk?

Jan Mogren

Tue Jan 01, 2002 3:38 am

Ceilidh
Many times have I heard Kiki's name come up during story telling onboard different African airliners, but he has never crossed my path in person.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

---------

I think msn 105 was confirmed as the one destroyed in that incident.
/JM
AeroPresentation - Airline DVD's filmed in High Definition

Bikeman

Tue Jan 01, 2002 3:47 am

Hmmm, wrong gen about the destroyed Caravelle Ceilidh.

Alessandro

Tue Jan 01, 2002 3:51 am

Caravelles seem to have been leased according to
http://aerotransport.free.fr
From New Yorqatar to Califarbia...